Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb

More of a question than a strategy itself. Has anyone gotten this to work against experienced players? Despite offering a potential of 16 points total, the input of the money involved in this strategy seems to hinder its ability for success. Again, as I mentioned in most of my posts, shipping is by far the most efficient use of cubes/money. And if you're not shipping and using your money to buy walls instead, then you're not going to beat a good shipping player.

At first I thought this game would be similar to Puerto Rico in that there could be "shippers" and "builders" but I don't see a strong competition here as there's really no limit on the timeframe of the game. The builders cannot "end" the game prematurely, and the limited player interaction means there really isn't anything the builder can do to stop the shipper.

However, the shipper can easily mess with a builder's plan by outbidding them on the wall spot, buying or pre-empting the points buildings, etc.

So again, how do people feel about a wall/building strategy? Is it viable against experienced players? Or is this game reduced to who can draw the better contracts to ship, as shipping becomes the most important aspect of the game with walls and points-buildings simply being a booby-prize?

P.S. - Just for reference, most of the games played have ended up with scores between 55-70 with strong shipping scores in the 60s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just tried it twice this past weekend with little success. The best bet seems to me to first take the section where others must outbid you by three, then get the discount on goods bought, since by then you will be trailing in the number of goods produced. The last time I tried this strategy I jumped out to a big lead (counting the 16 points), but I got blown away in the last two rounds because I just couldn't compete with the number of goods shipped, etc.

I haven't given up on it, though. I want to try it again, this time making my 3rd pick the ship discount so I can start delivering passengers on long voyages. Perhaps that might make enough of a difference to be in the running at the end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John DiMaggio
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eh, my group seems to discredit the +3 bid wall a lot. It just doesn't GENERATE any money. Sure people won't outbid you for the wall spot, but if they weren't going to bid on it anyway its essentially a waste of 10 dollars in the first few rounds, that's a TON to spend on non-red production buildings. Still have yet to see wall strategies work, and am afraid this game is rather 1 dimensional, get red buildings, ship goods, donate goods, get more ships, ship more goods, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought the wall strategy was the best option. Looking at the rules I think it can be interpreted that when you have 1 wall each wall is worth 1 when you have 2 walls each wall is worth 3 for a total of 6 and when you have 6 walls 6x16 for 96.

The rule says walls are worth a varying amount based on the number of walls. I see a question mark on the tile and I think that question mark represents the unknown amount.

My group overruled me after I had quietly spent most of the game collecting them.

I think that playing it the way I would suggest would encourage more competition over the space for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That multiplier interpretation is incorrect. Nice try, though whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD144 wrote:
Eh, my group seems to discredit the +3 bid wall a lot. It just doesn't GENERATE any money. Sure people won't outbid you for the wall spot, but if they weren't going to bid on it anyway its essentially a waste of 10 dollars in the first few rounds, that's a TON to spend on non-red production buildings. Still have yet to see wall strategies work, and am afraid this game is rather 1 dimensional, get red buildings, ship goods, donate goods, get more ships, ship more goods, etc.

What the walls allow is some modification to getting screwed out of buildings early...

In a 2 player game...yeah probably doesn't work.

However, as the number of players progress, it can lead to real advantages.

1. Many times during the game you have to evaluate $$$/VP situation.
2. Walls are consistent in VP. Buying one wall is inefficient. It costs 10 for 1 VP. 2 Walls is 20 for 3 VP and 3 walls is 30 for 6 vp.
So 10-1 vs 6.667-1 to 5-1.
3. Look at the powers it gives you. Buying the ship discount can save you decent money if you buy at least 2 more ships...My first game I purchased 3 ships ($6) Dropping the cost of the wall to effectively $4 which changes the $/VP ratio.

4. Resource exchange is valuable. Many times you must "reserve" a contract for when you get the resource next turn. Converting a present resource (Green) to a (Yellow) [Nice use of the single resource producing building to essentially double your Yellow production] You can then use this "extra" yellow for sales!! and earn more $$$ or add to the ships (that you paid a lot less for)

So, with a couple of walls, you can make it easier to ship. BY cutting the costs of new ships, and being able to provide proper loads to the contracts.

Is it the best avenue? Probably not... I'm new and will try other avenues... Going with 6??!? um....nope...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyD144 wrote:

This would be your 3rd or 4th Wall sought...not the first UNLESS you have the Max # of players available...Then you will practically guarantee your position for $2 if the initial bid is $1...Plus it may incite your ouster to put a higher minimum bid on your location...Thus costing him more initially.

With that being said, the money really isn't THAT tight to not be able to pick up extra with good's sales.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.