Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Playing my first couple of games, and there are still a couple of things I'm wondering:

* If firefighters are backburning, can they also "attack" a fire that's in an adjacent space at the same time? Or are they completely occupied by the backburning?

* Can firefighters combine strength the same way the fire does? If so, would it be only for firefighters that are in the same space? Or just firefighters attacking the same fire? (For example if I surround a space with a "3" fire in it with 3 different firefighters in three different adjacent spaces, would that give me a +2 for the additional firefighters?)

The rules as written don't say this is the case, but the game appears to almost literally be impossible if this doesn't happen - the majority of spaces have at least 3 connecting spaces which tend to quickly get fires in them, meaning for a "basic" firefighter to put it out, would require a roll of 7 on a 6-sided die (Fire strength of 3 + 3 for the fires surrounding it = need to roll higher than 6 to beat it).

To illustrate here's what I'm looking at in what is my 2nd play so far (the first play I lost very quickly) -
I quickly as possible made a line across the map and was lucky enough to be able to get backburns started before the fire made it up that far - so at least now I don't have to worry about the whole map catching on fire.
However the firefighters are now directly adjacent to three spaces that are on fire, all three of which are adjacent to at least 3 other fires. This makes all all three of the "basic" firefighters completely useless, the fire-jumper only beats a fire with a roll of a 6 on a six-sided die, and even the TC-134 needs at least a 5 on a six-sided die to put out a fire.
In this shot I managed to actually put a fire out with the TC, but it was pointless because at the start of the next turn the fire will simply spread right back there at the start of the next turn - so as this would seem to "break" the game as written, does that mean the "combined strength" assumption for the firefighters is correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve S
United States
Roscoe
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few more tries I'm using the following assumptions as they aren't previously made clear:

* Any space that's on fire will spread if it is adjacent to another space that isn't on fire yet. After the first couple of turns the die doesn't even really remain necessary as they're usually enough burning spaces to cause a spread to all adjacent spaces.

* Firefighters cannot move *or* attack while backburning, they can only backburn. However, as soon as the backburning starts, the fire cannot spread into that space.

* Firefighters gain bonuses for every additional firefighter attacking a fire. +1 for each additional firefighter - can be in the same space or adjacent, as long as they are "attacking" the same fire

* Once a space that is on fire has been put out, any or all firefighters that were "attacking" it can immediately move into that space, and if they wish start backburning, which will still require no other actions for the next two turns. (I just made this one up on the fly, because frankly I don't see how it's even remotely possible to make any progress if you can't do something like this as as soon as your attack is over, it's the fire's turn again, and it will just immediately spread back to the space you just put out).

* The TC-134's movement and attack phases happen at the same time as the firefighters, and the previous rules regarding bonuses and "moving into the territory you just won" still apply if there are firefighters adjacent to the space it is attacking.

Using all of these rules, it took me 17 turns to complete the game.
I probably I immediately saw here though is that unless you're about as unlucky as you can get, it's not hard to dash your firefighters across the map and make a line of backburns, which once you've established a full blockade like that all the tension is removed from the game - it's just a matter of die rolls to see how long it takes to finish putting everything out.
I'm not sure how you'd be able to keep the balance of keeping the danger element there of having the fire re-spreading while at the same time keeping the ability to actually be able to fight it without just spinning your wheels. Maybe add a die roll to see if the fire "jumps" a backburn if it's been blockaded....
Hmm....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave C
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played yet... but ... perhaps if you put some houses or campers in there you'd still have tension.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.