Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just been playing a taster of the first act. Castle Darien was very close the heroes winning with 1 health on the knight. Thanks to meeting a traveller on the way to the castle they had 325g to spend and death on a wing was a joke.

First turn, magic wand rune master blast insta killed 3 barghests dwarf knight move, oath of honour killed last one, advance killed a spider and then special once per game killed spider. Overlord has a go respawning one monster (+ remaining 3) the boulders I place are insta removed by the dwarf. Unsurprisingly they get all search tokens and get off the map. (the overlords goal is essentially impossible as the dwarf removes at least one boulder a turn. Second bit, elementals instantly killed ettins get one guard down and then they run in and gib the boss.

I appreciate vs 2 the overlord has an advantage, but by the third mission the knight has a potential 5 attacks (2 + once per game + advance + guard attack on the overlords go) and the runemaster auto dmgs one dmg (mana weave plus mana weave and blasts at normally 5-7 dmg using his surge ability.

Seems that first turn = all first group dead second turn = all second group dead and then it's bubbye lieutenant.

Oh and whilst the knight got his extra attack and move every time he gets a kill I got a +2 shields to a roll once in 15 cards.... Woooooo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In my game with the Runemaster, I had a hard time finding a good place for the Blast to ever be used, since you cannot target an empty space, you have to target a space with a figure on it. Because of that, I don't think I used blast once that entire quest. Is your Runemaster targeting spaces, not figures in spaces?

Also, don't forget the Fatigue costs. The Knight's extra attack does cost a fatigue, so our game he used it a lot of the times but sometimes he was just plain out of fatigue and couldn't use it (and we didn't have time to rest, our quote being "I'll rest when I'm dead!").

And lastly, you're almost into Act II where all your baddies bump up in power. Not significantly but maybe enough to be more of a speedbump?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hubbard
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not seeing this at all. In fact, I'm seeing some quests that favor the OL against 4 heroes but favor the heroes with a smaller group (like Castle Daerion and maybe Masquerade Ball) and some taht favor the heroes when the group is large and the OL when it's small (Death on a Wing seems this way at first glance).

One thing I'd suggest is to keep a mix of large and small monsters when selecting your opens. If you have to start with something big, make something small your open, and vice versa. It gives you a good mix of toughness, path blockage, and several minions to act with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Leigh
United Kingdom
Leighton Buzzard
Beds
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree darien would normally go to the ol, it's just they were lucky. Our final game involved the fat goblins and the shadow ability of my dragons meant they didn't win that.

I don't see how small models help a great deal, easier to blast and the dwarf just rampages through, in one turn of archers or spiders I'm normally down to a single model.

Perhaps I'm just a bad overlord but the spacing in some tiles mean they have to be adjacent, and blasts seem to work well as I'm limited to placing models in the specific tiles.

It's still a fun game but having 2/3 models left alive on turn one meaning I get at max 5 attacks vs at their most basic 8 attacks from the heroes leaves me feeling it could be more fun if just a few more things could survive a turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
blunder1983 wrote:
I don't see how small models help a great deal, easier to blast and the dwarf just rampages through, in one turn of archers or spiders I'm normally down to a single model.

I repeat, blast is no where near as effective in 2nd Ed as it was in 1st Ed. First, it's only a Blast "one", i.e. one square, and secondly, you have to target a figure's space, not an empty space. So you as the OL, if you just keep a space between your figures, Blast becomes worthless...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel O'Connell
United Kingdom
Sheffield
Yorkshire
flag msg tools
shnar wrote:
[q="blunder1983"]So you as the OL, if you just keep a space between your figures, Blast becomes worthless...

-shnar

Not exactly worthless. Stopping the OL from placing the monsters exactly where he likes is still useful, even if you don't get to use blast once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

I repeat, blast is no where near as effective in 2nd Ed as it was in 1st Ed. First, it's only a Blast "one", i.e. one square, and secondly, you have to target a figure's space, not an empty space. So you as the OL, if you just keep a space between your figures, Blast becomes worthless...

-shnar

Completely wrong, due to your 1E thinking, Shnar.

If the OL has to space his monsters apart, then that leaves easy gaps for the heroes to run through, which in the 2E quests tends to be much more important. So Blast, even if you never actually use it, is still extremely useful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

-shnar

Are you positive that you have to target a figure space for blast? I did not think this was the case in 2nd edition. I just did a keyword search for blast in the rulebook and it always says "Target Space" or "target space within line of sight".
Come to think about it, wasn't it a core rule in D1 that you were attacking a space, not a figure? I may be mis-remembering... it has been awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not wrong at all. In our games, when the OL was worried about clogging holes, he brought the large creatures to clog them. Blast wasn't used once in the game.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:
Are you positive that you have to target a figure space for blast?

Yes, pg 12 states right in the Combat section, "The attacking player declares which space his figure is attacking. The target space must contain one enemy figure as the target of the attack."

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin O'Brien
Scotland
Falkirk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:
shnar wrote:
blunder1983 wrote:

-shnar

Are you positive that you have to target a figure space for blast? I did not think this was the case in 2nd edition. I just did a keyword search for blast in the rulebook and it always says "Target Space" or "target space within line of sight".
Come to think about it, wasn't it a core rule in D1 that you were attacking a space, not a figure? I may be mis-remembering... it has been awhile.

From page 12 of the rules:

1. Declare Weapon and Target
The attacking player declares which space his figure is attacking. The
target space must contain one enemy figure as the target of the attack.
When heroes attack large monsters (monster figures that occupy more
than one space), it is important for the player to declare which specific
space he is targeting because of attacks with the Blast keyword.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrek Kyzar
United States
Ponchatoula
LA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, thanks!
Can you tell me if I am at least correct that this is a change from D1 so I can at least know my memory hasn't failed me entirely?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg D.
Germany
Höxter
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkyzar wrote:
Ah, thanks!
Can you tell me if I am at least correct that this is a change from D1 so I can at least know my memory hasn't failed me entirely?

It's a change!

In D1 you always targeted squares not figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.