Hide
9 Posts

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Need help identifying game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
h6 h6
msg tools
I used to play a computer board game about 15 yrs ago and I'm trying to determine it's proper name so that I can see if an app exists for it.

I thought it used to be called Domination, or Dominate.. but google searches have yielded nothing. I realize that may have been just what the developer called it and it might not be correct.

It's a 2 player game
Rectangular board approx 10x10 - 14x14
Like reversi, it involves stones that flip color.

Object is to dominate the board.

Start position: I believe it started with each side having a piece in opposing corners.

Game Play:
Each turn, you have the option of Copying 1 space in either direction or jumping a blank and moving your piece 2 in either direction.
So either grow your numbers in a slow movement, or covering more distance but not growing your numbers.

If You touch a square next to an enemy piece, they change to your piece.
If the enemy were to leave a blank square surrounded by 8 of his pieces, and I happened to be 2 spaces away.. I could jump into that blank square, thus turning all 8 of his piece to mine.

I hope this is enough description for someone to recognize it and help identify it. Heck, perhaps its actually a really common board game and everyone here will know it.

anyways.. appreciate some help on this one.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this in the arcade under the name Ataxx. I have a version on my Android phone by another name (of course my phone is in use elsewhere right now).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like Ataxx indeed.
There's a hex grid version as well, called Hexxagon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
h6 h6
msg tools
I'm new to this site.. just found it to post my question.

I searched for ataxx on the main page and found the link... does this site actually have all these games to be played ? I didnt see where i could actually play it to test it.

i would say off hand the description is similar though the board was bigger. Thank you for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
h6 h6
msg tools
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ataxx

Yeah, that definitely sounds like the base game of the version I played.
Thank you guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
h6 h6
msg tools
http://braindamage.org/ataxx/

You guys rock. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
hwy6 wrote:
http://braindamage.org/ataxx/

You guys rock. Thank you.

You're very welcome!

This site is more a database of games, though the game pages for Ataxx or Hexxagon may have links to where they can be played online.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Abdullah Ibrahim and Ekaya - Sotho Blue
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you look at the top of the page, you'll see a link titled 'Video Games'. If you click on that, it will take you to the sister site, Video Game Geek, which is a better resource for finding info about computer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Bolaños Mures
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
hwy6 wrote:
I used to play a computer board game about 15 yrs ago and I'm trying to determine it's proper name so that I can see if an app exists for it.
I thought it used to be called Domination, or Dominate.

I have a shareware videogame called Dominate on my computer. It looks like this:

I think this is exactly what you're looking for. I used to play it long before I got into abstract games. Surprisingly enough, it still works on my Windows 7 now.

EDIT: This video game was developed by Shadoware and released in 1993.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.