Subject: Questions about Tracking / Targeting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kalman Farago
Hungary
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
I got Star Warriors from an uncle who visited the US 24 years ago; and today, after numerous one-man trial runs and a long, long time of sitting on my shelf I FINALLY GOT TO PLAY IT!!! (And my 3 X-Wings totally obliterated 2 TIE fighters and 2 Interceptors with no losses.)

A couple of questions arose from actual play regarding the Targeting action and the accompanying markers. All these relate to Basic Rules.

1: After the Hazard Phase, I put Tracking 5/10 on my tracking ship and the attendant target marker on the targeted ship, at the same time Throttle markers are adjusted. Fine. Question is: when and under what circumstance do I REMOVE these markers? Specifically:

1/A: If the ship I'm tracking is eliminated during the course of the round, do I keep the Tracking counter on my own ship until the Bookkeeping phase or do I remove it as soon as the target goes up in flames? On a more practical level, after my target is gone, am I still easier to hit (since tracking ships are easier to hit by anyone who's not their target), or do I immediately lose that disadvantage?

1/B: If at the end of the round / beginning of next round I'm still tailing the same target, what happens to the markers? Do they stay on automatically, do I have to re-establish targeting by planning the action again, or what?

1/C: If I'm no longer tailing the target, do I lose tracking? I can't find anything in the rules actually saying so outright.

2: What is the practical utility of Targeting (in the Basic rules) as compared to Pinpoint Fire? The way I see:

Targeting:
- modifies my gunnery target number by -5/-10
- only applies to a single target which is determined at the beginning of the turn
- has the disadvantage of making ME easier to hit as well
- only usable if I'm already tailing a ship during the Planning phase.

whereas Pinpoint Fire:
- modifies my gunnery target number by exactly the same value
- applies to whichever target happens to end up in my crosshairs at the time of firing
- does NOT make me easier to hit
- has the same or lower Piloting difficulty number as Targeting for all ships except the TIE Interceptor.

In Basic rules, I just don't really see any situation in which I might want to plan Targeting instead of Pinpoint Fire. Is there something I'm missing here?

Thank everyone in advance for any insight on these matters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias Segers
Belgium
Brecht
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hmm, I would guess then that the main advantage is that you can combine both actions, leading to a -20 die roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalman Farago
Hungary
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Well, yes, if you want to get more than -10, you use it. But I was just hoping there's something more to it. Well, there is, but that's Advanced and Optional rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Motz
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bit of an old post, but I just wanted to add:

Basic rules, you're right that it's just another way to lower the to hit number. Personally I hate the basic only rules. The Advanced / Optional rules make the game more fun for me.

Advanced / Optional rules is where Targeting shines, as it gives you a lot more options (don't have to be tailing, can jam other attempts).

And I don't think you get to remove the marker until the bookkeeping phase - you're focused on your target during the time when people get shot and are still vulnerable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kalman Farago
Hungary
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Yes, I want to move on to Advanced and Optional rules, but first I need to raise a crop of players to play against...

Your interpretation of when to remove targeting makes sense, thanks for the input!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.