Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Phil Shimmin
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Apologies if this solution has already been posted - couldn't see anything obvious. I have printed out the compact technology board from the file section and it's very handy but it's so handy I want to pass it around so people don't have to get up to look at it, rather like the component/bait boxes people (including me) use for the ship components. If you do this with the technology board though, the tiles slip off.

I was in the tiling aisle of a hardware shop today and had a brainwave. 2mm tile spacers! A bit of work with a craft knife and a touch of some metallic spray paint and superglue I had kicking round gave me this and I am delighted.

The placement had to be pretty accurate, but the end result can be held almost vertically and, as you can see in the picture below, the spacers can hold two tiles in a stack (positron computer and plasma cannons). Any extra I plan to put to one side for refills, and clearly it'll probably be worth taking off the turn track from the board as that isn't "move proofed" and doesn't need to be passed anyway.

I used right angles rather than "T" sections on the left and right just to avoid going over the tech category icons - the bottom left and bottom right tiles end up only being secured on 3 corners but it works and looks fine.

Anyway, hope you guys find the idea useful if it hasn't been posted before!

Edit: Sorry, the pictures aren't showing up and as this is my first post with pictures I don't know whether it is because they're needing moderation or because I've done something wrong. I guess it is the moderation, but just in case, the links are:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1379044/eclipse?size=larg...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1379045/eclipse?size=larg...

Cheers
Phil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!

Will try to make similar mod to my board as well.

P.S. Had to go to geekmod to see the pictures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Gleb wrote:
P.S. Had to go to geekmod to see the pictures.

That's cheating!

Can't wait for the pics to legally appear on the forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
I Geekmodded them through and it looks like at least one is up now. It looks good!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gleb Semenjuk
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes something like 5 votes to get in. So lots of us contributed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I did something similar. I used a piece of 1/8 inch plywood and some 1/2 inch square balsa wood rods along with a cut up printout of the compact tech board to build this upright tech tile display.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Block
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea!
Quote:
Any extra I plan to put to one side for refills, and clearly it'll probably be worth taking off the turn track from the board as that isn't "move proofed" and doesn't need to be passed anyway

I don't understand the "side for refills" part. But I'm intrigued by it. How would you go about that?

Why not attach a paperclip or bookmarker to the turn track? That'll look cool - and be handy again!?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Shimmin
New Zealand
Auckland
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks all for approving the pics - I'm a long time reader of BGG but I've not posted much yet so I'm not too familiar with the workflow!

I should point out that I didn't intend the board to stand up in regular use and it doesn't have a stand - I just stood it up to show that stacks of up to two tiles wouldn't fall out as you pass the board around to people.

When I said I was going to put spares to one side, I just meant that if I had more than two tiles of the same kind out I'd put the extras above two in a stack somewhere rather than put more than two on the board and have the extras slide around. Nothing exciting!

I like the idea of a bookmark for the turn track if I could find something thematic, but I decided to just chop off the turn tracker because I didn't think that it would be information that needed to be passed around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Block
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.