Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a core group of two friends that show up for pretty much every game night, but then a group of three others that show up maybe half the time.

How easy would it be to start a campaign with four of them (and me as overlord) and then continue playing regularly, knowing that not every player will show up for every session?

Would it be better to just commit to a 3-player campaign with the two that always show up? Or would it be easy enough to play some quests with just the two heroes, and the rest with a varying number of players?

I haven't played 1st or 2nd edition yet, and am trying to decide whether to buy it. But I really want it for the campaign, rather than the basic game over and over.

We have experience with this variable group playing an actual RPG, because as GM I could just drop characters in and out of the story as needed.

Could I do something similar here, and maybe just assign missed XP between sessions to bring an intermittent player "up to speed" with the regular players? Or would the game's mechanics make that difficult?

Also, what about different players playing the same hero for different quests? It doesn't seem like an RPG where you wouldn't want someone else playing your character, as they might screw it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend dropping Heroes mid-campaign, though dropping players is okay. Just have the extra heroes played by the other players while the one or two guys are gone.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I wouldn't recommend dropping Heroes mid-campaign, though dropping players is okay. Just have the extra heroes played by the other players while the one or two guys are gone.

That's a good tip. Any particular reason you wouldn't change the number of heroes between quests? The overlord's power varies based on the number of heroes, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
shnar wrote:

That's a good tip. Any particular reason you wouldn't change the number of heroes between quests? The overlord's power varies based on the number of heroes, right?

Because the heroes will level up between quests. I guess you could allow the brought in heroes to do some leveling up (and maybe get some equipment) to get them in line with the hero's power level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
Rancho Cordova
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's sort of what I was thinking. If a hero misses a quest, we'd just keep track of the rewards that the heroes got and give them to him to spend the next time he's there.

More record-keeping, but when all your players have kids, ya gotta be more flexible

Thanks for the answers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's part of the general upgrading strategy I think. The OL may choose different cards if he knows he has a Disciple in the group, for example. The Heroes might choose different skills to compliment each other, etc. I think just overall it would be easier for a player to have a designated player when he's not there...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
oddbod wrote:
That's sort of what I was thinking. If a hero misses a quest, we'd just keep track of the rewards that the heroes got and give them to him to spend the next time he's there.

More record-keeping, but when all your players have kids, ya gotta be more flexible :)

Thanks for the answers.

This is what is done in some groups where there are players that filter in and out.

One approach is to have the missing players characters run by the group or a designated "handler" for the AWOL player and just record what they got and have the player allot stuff when they return.

If your group tends to have a mostly same number od players every session, but different players every session. Then the easiest approach is to simply record the rewards at the end and keep a running tally for application to walk in players characters that might not have seen much adventuring at all.

Yes. It takes a little more bookkeeping. But it allows everyone a fair go and prevents problems of high and low characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Changing the number of characters will also affect how much gold the party should have. If a game starts with four heroes, and later one of them drops out, you need to find a fair way to have the party with less money (and just taking away all the items that the missing hero was using won't always work, since items are easily tradeable between different heroes and not all heroes will have the same value of items).

You could potentially have different heroes show up as long as they keep the same item pool and gold, and just change who has what items at the start of each session. The only problem with this is that the Overlord may want to change his strategy if the party changes, so I think he should be allowed at least some ability to refund his cards for exp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
oddbod wrote:

More record-keeping, but when all your players have kids, ya gotta be more flexible

Thanks for the answers.

I can vouch for your approach here. I'm currently finishing up a campaign at a small game store where 7 different players have played a variety of heroes. We've had no issues with it at all. I'll quote from my session report on the heroes we used:

The heroes, in order of appearance, have been Widow Tarha, Avric Albright, Syndrael, Tomble, Grisban, Ashrian, Tomble (with a new player), Ashrian (with a new player), Ashrian (returning to her original player), and finally Widow Tarha again (but with another new player). The "core" group has been Grisban, Tomble and Ashrian.

We're about to play the Finale and we now have even more potential players asking if they can get in on this action. It's really not that difficult to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.