Subject: Best Solo Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Im looking for some good Solo Games that could be played with more players. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Knight Board Game
Yggdrasil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lang Bedang
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
FortyRock
badge
Beware of Rocks
mbmbmbmbmb
Try these (in no particular order):
Space Hulk: Death Angel
Yggdrasil
micropul
Onirim
Urbion (aka Equilibrion)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scot Evers
United States
Noblesville
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy the co-op games while playing multiple roles - Pandemic and Forbidden Island are my faves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a look at this GeekList.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jflartner
United States
Conshohocken
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Magnificent Style is a fantastic push your luck style game.

Also check out Victory Point Games States of Siege Series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Lyons
United States
Eastlake
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy playing Gears of War solo and can also join up to 4 players if I remember right for a co-op play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadow Agent
from the game description wrote:
is a solitaire game in which the player Is a SHADOW AGENT the player(s) play the role from a non specified secret Agency, with the goal to infiltrate an enemy location (base or mansion) to accomplish a certain mission.
The agent will not have to be seen or heard, by the numerous guards, walking around the location, so he will have to hide among the shadows, hide behind walls and furniture, and hit the enemies from behind, when they don't see him, and, most of all, doing all this in silence.

The game is inspired by video games like Splinter cell and Metal Gear Solid and will feature these mechanics: -modular board -solitaire play -dice rolling

The game was initially thought as a solitaire game, but can be played with two players, that cooperate together.

GAMEPLAY: the player, each turn, will roll action dice (normal and/or specialized), and choose 2 to perform the rolled actions.
These are called Standard actions, and are: MOVE, SHOOT, MELEE ATTACK, HEAL.
Every die can be used to perform a free action, instead of a standard action, and such free actions range from using an enemy as a meatshield, to interacting with locations, to hiding a corpse of a dead guard.
At the beginning of the game, the player will choose up to 5 items that will help him in his mission.

When the player has performed his 2 actions (1 standard and 1 free action, or 2 standard actions), it's the Guards' turn to be activated.

There are 3 types of guards (green, yellow, red), and for each type, a die is rolled twice, and each guard will perform the 2 rolled actions, in order.

Such actions range from moving 1 to 4 areas, to shooting, to calling for help (which will spawn other guards)

Green guards will move, shoot and spawn other guards with avarage ratio;
Yellow guards will shoot and spawn other guards, a lot;
Red Guards will shoot a lot and move very fast.

As soon as an alarm is spread out (which happens when a guard spots a dead guard's corpse), all guards are activated with the red die, so things become hard for the player.

The game is free to print and play, and there's even a vassal module, so you can see how it works before you commit time building it.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Ghost Stories and Gears of War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ProfitOfDoom wrote:
I enjoy playing Gears of War solo and can also join up to 4 players if I remember right for a co-op play.
I was looking at that one, alot of negative reviews on it..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coco123 wrote:
ProfitOfDoom wrote:
I was looking at that one, alot of negative reviews on it..

Gears of War: The Board Game is a GREAT game, fun and VERY thematic, but it is not without flaws.
Its main flaw is, IMO, the lack if REAL depth: there is no leveling up, your characters draw cards, use cards, roll dice.
There is no REAL strategy, as 99% of your decicisions are tactical (short term related).

Ok, you can decide to save a pspecific card for later use, but what makes me think od GoW as a shallow game is that even the best strategy can be compromised by a couple of subsequent bad die rolls (it is a VERY ameritrash game, in fact).

Don't get me wrong: I LOVE GOW:TBG, especially solo, but if you're looking for a deeper game, try something like Mage Knight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mage Knight is a lot of brainburn. Like, a ton. There is a lot to keep track of. I've set up the intro game three times and the last two times have only gotten up to the 4th tile before something interrupted me and I lost the drive to continue that rulefest.

For example: I set up everything. I use cards to get to the good rocky place that gives you a gold mana next turn. There's an orc there so I check the rules for combat. I can kill it (next turn) because I have a gold mana and I'm Arythea, who has a card that lets you do ranged attack 3 which is enough. I then get 4 fame and woah, I've levelled up. So I check the rules to resolve my levelling up. I then move to the village in the next space. I then use my influence to get a level 2 utem something (Check the rules, quickly).

There's an orc there that summons something (check the rules again to see how that plays out!). I provoke it and can because I have block 5 (with a blue mana from the source) and then I need an attack 4 and get it! I then level up again (different reward for levelling up, check the rules!) But then I realize to get that attack 4, I used another die and slap my head, so I go back and just don't kill the thing, undoing everything. All this takes about 90 minutes. Then my wife tells me I need to do something and by the time I get back to the game 20 minutes later, I just don't have the willpower to continue so I clean it up.

Game's gonna take me a while to get comfortable with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby."
badge
"If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead."
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
Mage Knight is a lot of brainburn. Like, a ton. There is a lot to keep track of. I've set up the intro game three times and the last two times have only gotten up to the 4th tile before something interrupted me and I lost the drive to continue that rulefest.

For example: I set up everything. I use cards to get to the good rocky place that gives you a gold mana next turn. There's an orc there so I check the rules for combat. I can kill it (next turn) because I have a gold mana and I'm Arythea, who has a card that lets you do ranged attack 3 which is enough. I then get 4 fame and woah, I've levelled up. So I check the rules to resolve my levelling up. I then move to the village in the next space. I then use my influence to get a level 2 utem something (Check the rules, quickly).

There's an orc there that summons something (check the rules again to see how that plays out!). I provoke it and can because I have block 5 (with a blue mana from the source) and then I need an attack 4 and get it! I then level up again (different reward for levelling up, check the rules!) But then I realize to get that attack 4, I used another die and slap my head, so I go back and just don't kill the thing, undoing everything. All this takes about 90 minutes. Then my wife tells me I need to do something and by the time I get back to the game 20 minutes later, I just don't have the willpower to continue so I clean it up.

Don't be in any hurry to try Magic Realm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:

Mage Knight is difficult, in the sense that there's lots of bookkeeping indeed.
When I bought it I hardly played a couple of games, because each game ended like a brain burn all the time... but after my 4th or 5th game, all the things got clearer and easy to remember... Now, after several plays, I can get a session one (solo blitz conquest) in under 2 hours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help, so far Im considering..Ghost Stories...Space Hulk...and Gears of war..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed I love Mage Knight (just got Magic Realm and trying to learn that too). It does take a few games under your belt to understand all the rules but it gets quicker. Plus since you are playing solo, you don't have to feel pressured by other players so you can afford to take your time. And nothing says you can't walk away and come back the next day to continue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Don't be in any hurry to try Magic Realm.

I'm not I bought Mage Knight mainly because I used to have days where I'd have hours with nothing to do. Not so much anymore

Still, I'm keeping it around because it's great to have for when those days do pop up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo Games Recommended by SHIGADEYO

I play:
Equilibrion (Urbion)
For Sale (solo variant)
Friday
Onirim
PAX
Race for the Galaxy

Others:
Aether Captains: Clockwork Cabal
New World Colony
Schleichfahrt: Sneaking Behind Enemy Lines
Shadows Upon Lassadar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartow Riggs
United States
Antelope
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shigadeyo wrote:

I really like Friday. it is a wonderful solo game that plays fast with lots of choices. But he asked for solo games he can also play with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't overlook these:

Dungeon of D
Nemo's War

and any co-op game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Monkey
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Mage Kight: Board Game for solo play, and I personally don't think that it is too much to keep track of -- I find the rules very intuitive and they just "make sense" after you read them.

Then again, my other recommendation is Arkham Horror for solo play. I generally roll with three or four investigators at the same time, they work as a team not as separate players, but it can still be a lot to keep tabs on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evil Bob
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D-Day Dice is a great solo game that can be played cooperatively. With the D-Day Dice: Atlantikwall expansion, you can even play it against another player.

There are many scenarios and variants, and plays in about 30-45 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Beyke
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff McCarroll
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Dungeon Twister 2 Prisoner a look. The AI is handled really well. Each AI character card has a series of "If, then" questions that determine its next move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whens it expected to be stores, Thanks..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.