Popular Tags: [View All]
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question regarding a situation we just had come up:

What happens when a player plays the Skilled Retreat action card and they don't have any Command Counters in their reinforcements?

We came up with 3 options, but are unsure which is correct. The player:

1. Doesn't spend a CC to activate the destination system. This is in line with not having any Command Counters for the Diplomacy SC, but leaves the destination system unactivated, which seems rather powerful (especially when the retreating player is pulling his main fleet out of danger).

2. Takes a CC from his Strategy Allocation, much like a Tactical Retreat.

3. Takes a CC from a pool of their choice.

Thoughts?

edit - card text:

Choose one of your fleets that is participating in a Space Battle. Place a Command Counter from you reinforcements in a friendly or empty unactivated system adjacent to that fleet. Move the chosen fleet into that system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
My feeling is the card couldn't be played in that situation.

The card requires you to put a CC from reinforcements into an adjacent system, and then move your ships into that system. If you have no CC from reinforcements, you cannot put it into an adjacent system; there is thus no "that system" to move your ships.

I guess technically speaking I would say you could play it, but it wouldn't do anything if you can't place the CC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there official ruling on what happens when someone play diplomacy or signal jamming and there is no counters in reinforcements?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
garfielder wrote:
Is there official ruling on what happens when someone play diplomacy or signal jamming and there is no counters in reinforcements?

For Diplomacy II, if they have none left in their reinforcements, they must take it from their race sheet; this is actually listed in the rules for Shattered Empire, page 14.

I'm not sure if Signal Jamming has been addressed specifically, but the FAQ does have this entry:

Q: If a player has all 16 Command Counters in use on the board or on his Race Sheet, can any effects or actions that require additional Command Counters for that player take place or be resolved?
A: No.

This means for Signal Jamming, if you have none left in Reinforcements, it has no effect. I would say it also applies to the original question in this thread. Diplomacy II is only handled differently because the rules for Diplomacy II specifically say so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fedor Syagin
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sigmazero13 wrote:
garfielder wrote:

For Diplomacy II, if they have none left in their reinforcements, they must take it from their race sheet; this is actually listed in the rules for Shattered Empire, page 14.

Duuuh... I even remember now reading this and thinking --- good that this is clearly written out Rules. Who remembers them
Thank you for reminding us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently I left out option 4: Can't play the card at all.

sigmazero13 wrote:

[snip]

Q: If a player has all 16 Command Counters in use on the board or on his Race Sheet, can any effects or actions that require additional Command Counters for that player take place or be resolved?
A: No.

I think we've been using the latter bit from the FAQ to resolve Diplomacy II - I didn't realize there was an exception for that SC. Good to know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adria D
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The argument for using the AC with a CC from the player's race sheet was that it was supposed to be a 'free' retreat (CC from reinforcements), and the player felt he should be able to 'pay' for it using an already allocated CC.

To keep the game moving, we let him use his last Strategy Counter (like a Tactical Retreat) to perform the retreat. He wanted to use a CC of his choice though, given that he had a whole bunch in his Command Pool from a recently-performed Leadership action.

But it looks like the Skilled Retreat should not be allowed if the player doesn't have the required CC (placing the CC happens before moving ships), so that's how we'll do it in the future.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.