Popular Tags: [View All]
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight I played as the consul player and one of the heroes happened to be the Barbarian. Now she was completely decked out and to make matters worse, the mage had 2 potions and the Druid had a potion. The mage used Dragons Blood 2 times on the barbarian and the Druid used his one potion as Dragons Blood on the barbarian giving the barbarian +3 red attack Dice on top of all 4 of her loot cards and base attack. Starfire only had 4 life left. This round the Barbarian 6 attacks to try and finish off starfire who sadly only gets 1 green, 1 red and 1 blue for armor. She had a ridiculous 5 red dice and I believe 3 blue dice and 6 attacks.

Anyway, my question is this. Can potions be used and stacked like that? I assume yes, but of course as the Consul player I felt really overwhelmed when I had +3 additional red die coming at me on 6 straight attacks. Now also keep in mind it actually got worse as attacks landed potions were popping, hearts were popping. So although it only took 4 attacks to finish me off, she could've potentially had another Dragons blood put on her since she has 5 health total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember reading that effects of the same name do not stack, although that may have only been in reference of auras and augment abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
By rulebook p. 24, auras of identical abilities do not stack.

By rulebook p. 27, identical status effects do not stack. (Those are the twelve effects with counters: Bind, Choke, Cold, etc.)

So although I don't think the rulebook says anything about potions specifically... I would feel safe assuming that it does follow the pattern of status effects and ability effects. Potion effects should not be stackable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Caughmann
msg tools
tumorous wrote:

By rulebook p. 27, identical status effects do not stack. (Those are the twelve effects with counters: Bind, Choke, Cold, etc.)

So although I don't think the rulebook says anything about potions specifically... I would feel safe assuming that it does follow the pattern of status effects and ability effects. Potion effects should not be stackable.

I would agree with that same train of thought. My only 2 reservations about that are:
- Candy and Link's potions that give extra actions...I can't remember where, but it's always been assumed that given enough potions, you could "stack" extra Action Points.
- Potions are a valuable resource that is of limited supply, and as such, could possibly be the exception to the stacking rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
thetang22 wrote:
tumorous wrote:

I would agree with that same train of thought. My only 2 reservations about that are:
- Candy and Link's potions that give extra actions...I can't remember where, but it's always been assumed that given enough potions, you could "stack" extra Action Points.
- Potions are a valuable resource that is of limited supply, and as such, could possibly be the exception to the stacking rule.

As I see it, the difference with Candy's potion is that it's not providing an ongoing effect. It just gives you a one-time boost of extra action points. If you were able to use Sugar Rush more than once, you're not really stacking the ability, you're just using it sequentially.

Does that make sense?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiren Maelwulf
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not convinced you could stack Sugar Rush either unless, like Tumorous stated, a distinction is made stating that + action points are not the same as + dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Veltre
United States
Middleville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What Tumorous is saying makes perfect sense. Thank you.

It makes sense about stacking vs instant effects. Instant effects don't add + dice. They simply add an immediate one time effect. Whereas some potions add bonuses to the heroes for a full round. See my dragons blood potion example in my first post. I thought it was obscene to have a barbarian juiced so much for 6 straight attacks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.