Subject: How to paint these guys? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien Le Jeune
Belgium
Namur
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I finally bought a box of this very expensive game (ouch )and I'm eager to get down to paint those minis.

Only thing is, I don't know where to start. The minis are still on sprue, and I remember reading/seeing that it's best to prime them when they're still on sprue, what is everyone's opinion on this?

Also, which glue should I use? I'd like to avoid burning the plastic with a cheap glue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe S
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short to be angry all the time. Smile and enjoy the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use professional super glue. It sets in about 3 seconds opposed to 10 or so for regular super glue. Don't over glue, use tiny drops.

I pre cut all my minis before painting, just my personal preference. When cutting off the sprue- some minor filings may be needed after to clean up any rough edges. Also, you'll have to prime every spot where a sprue couldn't receive paint because it was attached.

If you're not big on painting, I would read up on the ink techniques. Basically, folks are getting nice results priming, washing/inking, then highlighting. Very quick. Also cheaper on buying paints.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Acker
China
Suzhou
Jiangsu
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely use polystyrene cement, like is sold for model planes.

This fuses the plastic. Use a little and hold it in place for a minute. Make sure you have fresh air. Then dry 24 hours

It is a little difficult to use, but it gives a perfect bond. I glued the tips of genestealer claws back on with this method, and they are indistinguishable from perfect ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ad1642
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I used white primer, block paint the model, dip using Army Painter strong tone. The end result is glossy but it's fast, durable, and matches the other components.

Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I use superglue on plastics it seems to get brittle and will often 'snap' off under the slightest amount of pressure. Get plastic cement, GW sells one kind (more expensive than other brands). As pigasuspig said, it melts the plastic and dries forming a new bond, a new plastic that simply cannot snap off without breaking the plastic. Works great.

Painting, I usually do a white primer (some players prefer black, but I've always preferred white), give it a base color, then a wash and then a drybrush and finally detail touchups. If that's too 'advanced' or time consuming, the dip method works very well for these minis, and there's an image with detailed instructions in the photo section about it.

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Tullsen
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Road goes ever on and on Down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, And I must follow, if I can, Pursuing it with eager feet, Until it joins some larger way Where many paths and errands meet.
badge
Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not a big deal if you don't prime them on the sprue, but it might be faster. It is definitely better if you trim off the flash Before you paint. Super glue is probably the best option. I tried to use a few other gules, but they didn't work mostly because they didn't dry fast enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/439555/slevs-construction-pa...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Rigillo
Italy
Roma
Rm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Absolutely prime them after you assemble 'em!
And file them well before assemble 'em!
It needs more time but you'll ave no problems going n in your work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.