Daniel VandenBurg
United Kingdom
ISLEWORTH
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello

Will be going to my first Essen Spiel and going alone.

My question is what people do when then fair closes, are there any events, impromptu playing etc going on usually?

If not is fine, gives me a chance to unwind, see the city and get a nice dinner!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's lots of gaming going on in the hotels, their lobbies and communal rooms are usually packed with gamers. Unless you're staying in a really obscure out-of-the-way hotel, you should have no trouble at all hooking up with gamers and playing games until the wee hours of the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Unwind : definitely a requirement - a day at Spiel means sensory overload.

See the city : don't bother - typical dreary Ruhr area town.

Nice Dinner : fair number of places have decent food at good prices - check this forum for lots of tips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Gambetti
Italy
Bolzano
flag msg tools
designer
And plastic for the Plastic Throne!
badge
No! This is not a board game, but Stanislao Moulinsky in one of his best disguises!
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually we go eat, every evening in a different restaurant to taste those foods we're missing in our town (such as Spanish, Turkish and Egyptian restaurants).

Usually they are quite crowded and we are quite jolly, which means we leave the restaurants as they close (I don't remember the opening times but they should be somewhere in the 11-12 pm range): then, if we're still in the mood for playing, we can settle in the hotel's lounge.

I don't think there's there's an "apres-fair" where you can play all the night long, if this is what you're looking for.

Anyhow, you'll see: you'll have a good time in Essen!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Popular evening schedules are:
* Eating, then Gaming
* Gaming, then Eating, then more Gaming
* Eating while Gaming, then more Gaming

Like Runkst said: Ask your hotel if they're opening some rooms for gaming. Many do so but not every hotel has enough gamers staying there to get something going. But you can still go and visit one of the hotspots: the "Ibis" and "Atlantic Congress Hotel" come to mind but there may be others...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Željko Kumer
Croatia
Zagreb
flag msg tools
Life is like a photo, if you smile it turns out better!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
a day at Spiel means sensory overload

i'll second that. after the fair it's dinner and then comments on the day with some light drinks or some VERY easy game. i tried to play something heavier but i usually just end up staring at the game with my mind numb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kex_ wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
a day at Spiel means sensory overload

i'll second that. after the fair it's dinner and then comments on the day with some light drinks or some VERY easy game. i tried to play something heavier but i usually just end up staring at the game with my mind numb

You can say that!
I long ago gave up gaming after the show. We go back to the hotel, unload the games, and then have a nice, big steak and some beers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Toole
Australia
Queens Park
WA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to take this opportunity to say how INSANELY jealous I am of anyone going to Essen. Living in Australia makes the trip a little too expensive...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I did a quick Google : AUD 1400 for a flight from Melbourne to Dusseldorf, so you only have to buy 70 games or such to break even

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Based on the Hotels thread, it doesn't seem like there are any geekers at my hotel. If I just rocked up to somewhere like Hotel Ibis (where everyone seems to be) - would it be easy to find folks to game with? Or would I get hassle at the door for not being a guest of the Hotel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
I did a quick Google : AUD 1400 for a flight from Melbourne to Dusseldorf, so you only have to buy 70 games or such to break even

Yes, but also consider the excess bagge costs ... soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon craddock
United Kingdom
widnes
cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not been in the Ibis the last couple of years yet have played there every night.Just come in the front entrance and take a left to the bar area.You will find plenty of gamers here or go further on to the breakfast area and hit the mother load
Which hotel are you in?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Unwind : definitely a requirement - a day at Spiel means sensory overload.
Actually, compared with some other venues I attended I've found Spiel to be pretty easy going in that regard.

eddy_sterckx wrote:
Nice Dinner : fair number of places have decent food at good prices - check this forum for lots of tips.
Yeah. As much as I like to play, a good dinner is a must IMO. Take your time, relax and recharge. Even if you take it very slow you'll still have time for at least 1 or 2 medium games.

hudcrab wrote:
Based on the Hotels thread, it doesn't seem like there are any geekers at my hotel. If I just rocked up to somewhere like Hotel Ibis (where everyone seems to be) - would it be easy to find folks to game with? Or would I get hassle at the door for not being a guest of the Hotel
In my experience this is not a problem. Last year I stayed in a small hotel and went to other hotels to play. Didn't get the slightest impression that I might not be welcome. The gamers too. As a single player I easily found some folks to play with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gerrits
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
hudcrab wrote:
In my experience this is not a problem. Last year I stayed in a small hotel and went to other hotels to play. Didn't get the slightest impression that I might not be welcome. The gamers too. As a single player I easily found some folks to play with.

Yeah, going to other hotels isn't a problem. But seeing nobody mention your hotel in the hotel thread on BGG doesn't necessarily mean that there won't be any gamers there. Only a very small amount of attendees post in that thread after all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Runkst wrote:
Only a very small amount of attendees post in that thread after all.

Exactly. Couple of dozen messages in that thread, thousands of gamers in the Essen hotels - you do the math.

Speaking about math - anyone setting up a math trade ? I know I'm early but all this talk about Essen has made me eager

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
We have always played games after the fair, staying in the Holiday Inn Express again (10 minutes from the fair by the underground) and played games there and plenty of others do too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks all, this is encouraging.

I'm in a Hotel called Hotel Fabritz, apparently above Die Eule (the Owl) pub?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
DanV wrote:
My question is what people do when then fair closes, are there any events, impromptu playing etc going on usually?

Prostitution is legal in Germany. Have fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Pilling
United Kingdom
Worsley
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eat, drink maybe play a game or two

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Switzerland
Buchs
St. Gallen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
Cuts both into gaming time and gaming budget. So why bother...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Kempeth wrote:
elgin_j wrote:

I never had to pay to have a boardgame opponent, so why start now ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Have you included the fees for bringing them back with you or was the plan to stay with them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Kempeth wrote:
elgin_j wrote:

- What do you want me to do?
- Take five cards ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:

Have you included the fees for bringing them back with you or was the plan to stay with them?

Think it through - you just bought 70 games, you're in Germany, capital of the boardgame world - why on earth would you want to go back ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
eddy_sterckx wrote:
Kempeth wrote:
elgin_j wrote:

- What do you want me to do?
- Take five cards ..

Ooooh, a game of Flip Strip Poker

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.