6 Posts

Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Definition of Control rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Discussed often in the forums but i could not find anything official.

Empty System: Non-Fighter ship is sufficient to control.
System with planet: Control all Planets and non-fighter ship.

Is this correct/official?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
The trouble is that this varies depending on what effect relies on the control of a system - the game isn't entirely consistent.

What you said is true for most situations though.

You've had a good look through the FAQ already, right? Because there's this in there:

FAQ page 8 wrote:
Controlling a System
A player controls a system if he controls every planet in the system and has at least one (non-Fighter) ship in the system.

But again, keep in mind that some cards and effects that speak of "control" only mean the planets, and I think there might be some who only mean everything except the planets, too. The good thing is that all of those are mentioned in the FAQ, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
Thank you a lot. I must have overseen this. I knew i read exactly this sentence somewhere but could'nt recall where
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Petersen
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Planets only: Home System, and Mecatol Rex PO. For SOs, it usually spells out the requirements ie. (Mecatol Rex or Mecatol Rex system

Space only (or space and planets): Keeper of the gates.

Any planet: Dip II a)

Space and planets: Dip II b), everything else
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Streicher
msg tools
mbmb
I agree on Planets only but disagree on the Dip II b). I think you need to control planets AND space for this card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
The trouble is that this varies depending on what effect relies on the control of a system - the game isn't entirely consistent.

What you said is true for most situations though.

You've had a good look through the FAQ already, right? Because there's this in there:

FAQ page 8 wrote:
Controlling a System
A player controls a system if he controls every planet in the system and has at least one (non-Fighter) ship in the system.

But again, keep in mind that some cards and effects that speak of "control" only mean the planets, and I think there might be some who only mean everything except the planets, too. The good thing is that all of those are mentioned in the FAQ, too.

The only situation I can think of where "control" means only the planets is with the Fall of the Empire scenario, and then only in relation to a couple objective cards (specifically so that a player can't clear out his home system of ships to stymie the Lazax "control" objective, for example).

What is important in all these cases is WHAT it's saying to control. The definition of "control all planets and have 1 non-fighter ship" is the definition of controlling a SYSTEM, and effects that require system control will specifically refer to the system. If it just refers to a planet, then you only need to control the planet.

To address a couple of the above:

- Home System; you do need to control the airspace to control your home system EXCEPT in conjunction with the Fall of the Empire scenario. However, it should be noted that to claim objectives, the rule isn't that you have to control your home system, but the rule is that you have to control all PLANETS in your home system.
- Mecatol Rex PO - you only need to control the planet because it doesn't refer to the System. (There is a Stage II objective that refers to the Mecatol Rex system explicitely).
- Keeper of Gates - The word "Control" isn't used in conjunction with this objective; it just says you have to have ships present. You can get this objective without controlling Lodor or Quann.
- Dip II a) - It refers specifically to controlling a planet, not controlling a system.
- Dip II b) - It specifically says you must control the system, which means all planets and have a ship there. (This would include Home Systems, too!)

Again, apart from the Fall of the Empire bit, the definition of Control is pretty consistent:

- Controlling a planet means just having ownership of that planet.
- Controlling a System means having all planets in the system and one non-fighter ship there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.