Wiz-War (eighth edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Cantrips confusion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adrian Sexton
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
My son and I have played this game once so far and followed the rule-book regarding removing certain schools of magic and the black cantrip cards. We found it enjoyable and can see plenty of potential for re-playing the game by swapping magic schools, etc. We're a little confused by the purpose of the white and black cantrips though. What would be my reason to add the black cantrip to the game? Purely for more players and more chances of those cards occuring?
Initially I thought the cantrips would be so that you could follow either a path of white magic or black magic which would have been more fun, IMO. Maybe for another expansion...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Call
United States
Pocatello
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TwoLeftThumbs wrote:
Purely for more players and more chances of those cards occuring?

That, plus if you decide to mix in ALL the cards, having a second cantrip deck makes it more likely to get a few of the basic cards that you're bound to need, thereby maintaining the distribution of "basic" cards vs. "specialized" cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
The 2 decks of cantrips are there for one of the variants where the wizards build their own decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sexton
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
Thanks. I guess I was overthinking it and attaching more importance to the name than was necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sexton
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
CrankyPants wrote:
The 2 decks of cantrips are there for one of the variants where the wizards build their own decks.

Of course! Now it makes sense. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The black cantrips cards are designed to be used in 'team' games - one team uses white cantrips and three schools of magic, the other team uses black cantrips and the remaining three schools of magic, and each team only draws from their deck of spells. We tried this out at the weekend - it was a very long game...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Sexton
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
mksh wrote:
The black cantrips cards are designed to be used in 'team' games - one team uses white cantrips and three schools of magic, the other team uses black cantrips and the remaining three schools of magic, and each team only draws from their deck of spells. We tried this out at the weekend - it was a very long game...

Thanks for the clarification. That seems the perfect use for them. How long was the game, roughly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
TwoLeftThumbs wrote:
Thanks for the clarification. That seems the perfect use for them. How long was the game, roughly?

About 2 hours! We decided to play to 3 points which I think was a bit much, especially as I was killed quite quickly so my team mate had to go solo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.