Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all!

This is the first GenCon for myself and the entourage. We did Origins last year and had a blast in the Board Room. For the most part I'm looking for a similar experience, but I'd also like to try my hand at an RPG (D&D preferably). I've checked the events but I can't find any events that are complete n00b friendly.

Am I too late to find such an event? Are there even any 100% n00b events?

-Alex
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris johnson
United States
Oregon
Illinois
flag msg tools
There are numerous RPG events that are for people with no experience.
In the Pathfinder area, they have a beginner box event and intro event. These are run by the publisher Paizo.

As for D&D, I have not been keeping up on their latest stuff, but there are playtests of the newest version (NEXT) and there are numerous D&D adventures that will accept new players. In the RPGA area, there are plenty of NEXT events with seats open and no experience is required for these.

I would also suggest searching for gencon events based on experience required. If a game is sold out, grab a couple generic tickets and see if you can join the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
IMO, look for an older edition of D&D, rather than 4e. 4e at a convention is basically going to be a tabletop mini's game, rather than a real "role playing" game. If you want a hack and slash "kill things and take their stuff" then it's fine. if you want actual role playing, most other systems are set up more for that.

I suggest trying a few different systems, regardless of whether you take my advice on 4e. Classic D&D, Savage Worlds, Traveller, GURPS, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also check at the vendor booths to find out if they offer beginner games that may not be listed under the event registration system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jaiden0 wrote:
IMO, look for an older edition of D&D, rather than 4e. 4e at a convention is basically going to be a tabletop mini's game, rather than a real "role playing" game. If you want a hack and slash "kill things and take their stuff" then it's fine. if you want actual role playing, most other systems are set up more for that.

I suggest trying a few different systems, regardless of whether you take my advice on 4e. Classic D&D, Savage Worlds, Traveller, GURPS, etc.

How does Pathfinder stack up in terms of actual roleplaying? The only reason I said DnD is preferred, is that I've read quite a bit into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sioux wrote:
jaiden0 wrote:

How does Pathfinder stack up in terms of actual roleplaying? The only reason I said DnD is preferred, is that I've read quite a bit into it.

What are you looking for out of an RPG? Are you looking to "act" and play a character or are you looking for killing things and taking their stuff or some balance in between?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Smurf-o-Deth
United States
Brownsville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jaiden0 wrote:
IMO, look for some other game, rather than D&D. D&D is basically going to be a tabletop mini's game, rather than a real "role playing" game. If you want a hack and slash "kill things and take their stuff" then it's fine. if you want actual role playing, most other systems are set up more for that.

Fixed.

If you want a new-player friendly game that covers an introduction to different parts of the roleplaying experience, I'd whole-heartedly recommend Mouse Guard. If stepping into another skin and developing a character's personality is your main goal, give Fiasco a try. For a more story-focused yet full experience game, look for something that runs on the FATE system. If you are looking for that big campaign play, I'd suggest Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition. Hell, if all you want is the old-school dungeon crawl, I'd recommend Dungeon World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
Sioux wrote:
jaiden0 wrote:

What are you looking for out of an RPG? Are you looking to "act" and play a character or are you looking for killing things and taking their stuff or some balance in between?

Definitly a balance in between. Having never done an RPG I don't want to subject my group to the deep end. The combat aspect is something people like (as tried with the Dnd Board Game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sioux wrote:

I think that the amount of role-playing (versus roll-playing) is more dependent on the game master and players then on the rule set. There are some rule sets which have little to no dice rolling involved which would be the exception. But I would generally classify D&D 4e more akin to skirmish miniatures than I would Pathfinder or some of the older D&D versions. I can't comment on the next version of D&D at this time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rishi A.
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RandomOne wrote:
Sioux wrote:

I think that the amount of role-playing (versus roll-playing) is more dependent on the game master and players then on the rule set. There are some rule sets which have little to no dice rolling involved which would be the exception. But I would generally classify D&D 4e more akin to skirmish miniatures than I would Pathfinder or some of the older D&D versions. I can't comment on the next version of D&D at this time.

Well, 4E does promote tactical play. It does depend on the GM and the players, but 4E combats tend to be lengthy, so it's not that there isn't role-playing, but the game has to be done in a certain amount of time, and so combat tends to be the focus at a con.

I've seen the Playtest rules for D&D Next and the conflict resolution is a lot speedier. Also, it might be a good thing to try because they'll assume that no one at the table knows the rules.

And, not getting into edition wars or any of that "my game is better than your game" crap, I will say that the other suggestions for RPGs are good too. It's all personal preference, though. Play something that sounds interesting to you. Don't avoid something because some random person on the Internet says, "that game is no good." Almost anything mentioned will give you the RPG experience to see if you like the idea of RPGs. Once you determine that, you can fine-tune your tastes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Sz
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rishi wrote:
RandomOne wrote:
Sioux wrote:

Well, 4E does promote tactical play. It does depend on the GM and the players, but 4E combats tend to be lengthy, so it's not that there isn't role-playing, but the game has to be done in a certain amount of time, and so combat tends to be the focus at a con.

I've seen the Playtest rules for D&D Next and the conflict resolution is a lot speedier. Also, it might be a good thing to try because they'll assume that no one at the table knows the rules.

And, not getting into edition wars or any of that "my game is better than your game" crap, I will say that the other suggestions for RPGs are good too. It's all personal preference, though. Play something that sounds interesting to you. Don't avoid something because some random person on the Internet says, "that game is no good." Almost anything mentioned will give you the RPG experience to see if you like the idea of RPGs. Once you determine that, you can fine-tune your tastes.

Sounds very reasonable and insightful. Thank you for your opinions.
I'll see if I can come up with more specific questions.

Uh, the only one thing. Should I choose something to sign up for now, or do you think I'll be ok with generics and finding something at the con?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoyle A
United States
fiskdale
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sioux wrote:

Uh, the only one thing. Should I choose something to sign up for now, or do you think I'll be ok with generics and finding something at the con?

I've never been to gencon, but at other events the RPG spots fill up quickly. I'd reserve what you want (even if it's some extra)

Also, I agree with the above statements, generally. Try a few different ones if at all possible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.