Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Floyd Sherrod
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am designing a card game where I want to do something similar to Lifeboat; namely to randomly (and secretly) identify a sworn enemy and ally. The difference being that in Lifeboat it is okay if my enemy and friend are the same or even ME!

So the way my game works is that each player is randomly and secretly dealt a faction to start the game so that their identity is unknown. What I am working on now is an Allies and Enemies variant where I want each player to have one of each, but for them to be different from each other.

Any suggestions on a simple and elegant way to accomplish this without revealing any information? And preferably with a minimum of extra cards/components.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many factions?

Are people getting three pieces of information (ID, ally, enemy) or two (ally and enemy). If the second, you need to explain that better.

Are allies reciprocal, meaning if RED is allied with YELLOW, does YELLOW automatically ally with RED?

Are enemies reciprocal, meaning if RED is enemies with YELLOW, does YELLOW automatically gain enmity with RED?

Run us through some examples of possible (or impossible) scenarios please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If they don't need to be reciprocal it'd be simple enough to do so by position.

Like "You are Allied with the person on your right. You are Enemies with the person across from you."

Wouldn't work for a 2 player game, but then secret allies/enemies doesn't work too well with 2 players anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Sherrod
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
How many factions?

Are people getting three pieces of information (ID, ally, enemy) or two (ally and enemy). If the second, you need to explain that better.

Are allies reciprocal, meaning if RED is allied with YELLOW, does YELLOW automatically ally with RED?

Are enemies reciprocal, meaning if RED is enemies with YELLOW, does YELLOW automatically gain enmity with RED?

Run us through some examples of possible (or impossible) scenarios please?

Up to six
Yes, no
Could happen, but not necessarily.
Could happen, but not necessarily.

Good example:
Red Faction, enemies with any any other faction, friends with any faction other than their enemy.

Bad example:
Red Faction, enemy with Red, friends with Red or enemy faction.

Does that clear up what I'm after?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is a thought:

Have cards that are noted as being for 3+, 4+, 5+, 6 players.

Let's say the basic factions are Red, Blue, and Green.

As you add players, you add in the Yellow, Purple, and Orange factions.

Each player gets a random Faction card at the start of the game from the appropriate set of factions. So, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow for a 4 player game.

They are then given a Relations card from the appropriate set. Each relation card has things like:

Red: You are allied with Blue and Enemies with Green.

Blue: You are allied with Blue and Enemies with Red.

Green: You are allied with Red and Enemies with Blue.

And so on.

Pros: These give you complete control over what alliances/enemy combos are possible.

Cons: Lots of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Sherrod
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mephansteras wrote:
If they don't need to be reciprocal it'd be simple enough to do so by position.

Like "You are Allied with the person on your right. You are Enemies with the person across from you."

Wouldn't work for a 2 player game, but then secret allies/enemies doesn't work too well with 2 players anyway.

Except I don't want others to know who my ally and enemy are at the start. That may be revealed or deduced over the course of the game, but because I don't know the identity of the player to my right for example, I don't know really know, yet, if they are my ally or enemy.

For example: I am Red. No one knows this besides myself because we dealt randomly and secretly at the start of the game. I want to be secretly and randomly assigned an enemy and ally who are obviously not Red, but don't match each other either. (No frenemies in this game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the same thing, but it does take a lot of cards.

I'd recommend each person having their own deck of colored cards. They take out their own color card, shuffle, and then secretly deal one card for enemy and one card for ally. Since they are distinct cards, they can't possibly be the same, or the same as their ID. [You can always shuffle your own card in later if necessary.]

Mephansteras wrote:
Here is a thought:

Have cards that are noted as being for 3+, 4+, 5+, 6 players.

Let's say the basic factions are Red, Blue, and Green.

As you add players, you add in the Yellow, Purple, and Orange factions.

Each player gets a random Faction card at the start of the game from the appropriate set of factions. So, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow for a 4 player game.

They are then given a Relations card from the appropriate set. Each relation card has things like:

Red: You are allied with Blue and Enemies with Green.

Blue: You are allied with Blue and Enemies with Red.

Green: You are allied with Red and Enemies with Blue.

And so on.

Pros: These give you complete control over what alliances/enemy combos are possible.

Cons: Lots of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Sherrod
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This will play up to six so ultimately what I'm after is the ability to assign each player a faction randomly (easy). Then, for each player:

Own faction; enemy = 1 of 5 remaining factions, ally = 1 of 4 remaining factions.

In a 5-player game it becomes 1 of 4 and 1 of 3, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Contig
United States
flag msg tools
(this is not a hint)
badge
(this is still the old picture and I am too lazy to update it)
mbmbmbmbmb
Also if it wasn't clear, IDs are dealt out from another deck of color cards secretly, like role cards in The Resistance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
6 players.

A) It is possible for ALL players (except #1) to be FRIENDLY towards #1?

B) Or it's possible for ONLY ONE player (except #1) to be FRIENDLY towards #1?

If it's 'A' then the solution's been presented - everyone gets dealt a random 'deck'. The deck says "You are this color", then you pick from it a FRIEND and an ENEMY.

It allows for everyone to be FRIENDs with RED and everyone to be ENEMIES with YELLOW (except RED and YELLOW respectively), and if that's what you want, you're golden.

If you want each person to have a UNIQUE friend, then you have a much more difficult problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I think about it, the more I like combining my two ideas.

You have a deck of Faction Relation cards that is put together based on the number of players. So you include all of the 3+ player cards and the 4+ player cards in the deck if you have 4 players. These get shuffled and one card is dealt to each player.

Each card contains 1 Friend and 1 Enemy based on seating.

For example, a 3+ card could say:

Friend: You are friendly towards the player to your left.
Enemy: You are hostile towards the player to your right.

A 4+ card could say:

Friend: You are friendly towards the second player to your right.
Enemy: You are hostile towards the player directly to your right.

This should do everything you want. It doesn't rely on anyone knowing anything else about the players, prevents people from having the same player be both enemy and friend, and should scale pretty well with increasing number of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.