Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » General

Subject: 6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
angramainyu wrote:
I was able to play through the first encounter two-player, and really liked the flow and speed. I'd love to use this game as an option when my online D&D group meets for our occasional face-to-face game days.

There's six of us though, so I wondered if anyone had run Descent with 5 heroes? Can the encounters be scaled up for the extra hero, or are there problems?

Lack of plastic prevents upping monster limits.

You could try to ad-hoc extra health, shields, and surge bonus damage but that would be quite difficult to balance. It 5 heroes was not really designed around. Also the dungeons will get REALLY crowded at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Angeles

New York
msg tools
mb
For the lack of plastic, I would either proxy or make a regular proxy as a monster.

There's also the thought to consider that he has five heroes that move before you go. That's a pretty big deal. You might want to do a house rule where after he moves his first three heroes, you can move one group of heroes and then they move the rest and you can THEN summon monsters and activate the rest.

So yeah, there are balance issues, possibly big ones, but with enough tinkering around, it can be fixed. No one can really give advice since no one seems to hav done it yet, so go ahead and experiment. I would reccomend balancing it more towards the OL at first and tone down if neccessary. Extra hero is pretty powerful handicap. Let us know your results. I'm interested. My gaming group is actually 7 and we've been lucky enough that people wind up busy and we've never gone over. But I see it coming sometime and we'll have to decide what to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Descent 1 with 6 players, two of them playing the Overlord together. OK, it's not designed for it, but I like being able to share my evil plan with my favorite side-kick.

(and if I ever find time to work on an extension to Descent, it will definitely be a multi-overlord variant)

--
Buggy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We did this the other night. 5 heroes and the OL. For every group that had 4 minions and 1 master(goblins and spiders) we gave him another master monster. For something like the ettins, we gave him another minion. I think barghests would get a minion as well as shadow dragons, etc.

there is a website http://www.auggiesgamesonline.com/Descent-Base-Game-2nd-edit... where you can buy single monsters if you need to account for always playing with a larger group of heroes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Tolomelli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For each extra hero (above 4) the OL gets:
+1HP to "Small White Monsters"
+2HP to "Large White Monsters" and "Small Red Monsters"
+3HP to "Large Red Monsters" and "Lieutenants"
(Large Monsters are those that have 2 figures, the others are Small Monsters)

With 5 heroes every monster also gains an extra Brown Defense die.
With 6 heroes every monster also gains an extra Grey Defense die.
With 7 heroes every monster also gains an extra Black Defense die.

I also change the text of the Unholy Rituals card adding this text:
If you would keep less cards than the number of those drawn, you can choose an additional monster groups to partecipate in the ritual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
demonhanz demonhanz
msg tools
mb
Might be easiest to have the 6th player join the Overlord as his "favorite minion". Some have even went so far as to suggest giving him a controllable lieutenant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Doe
United States
California
flag msg tools
I ran with 5 once. I just took an extra open group on each map at the 2 player level. For lieutenants, I added the difference between 3 and 4 player and upgraded the defence die one level. The balance worked ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.