Popular Tags: [View All]
Wesley Williams
United States
Capital Region
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our one play of this game last weekend (6 players, Galilei map, advanced game), a question was brought up that I thought I'd ask about.

On the aforementioned map, there are 4 hatches. Given the mix of the hatch cards, it's possible that only 1 hatch could be viable, letting only one of the 3 humans. Let's say the remaining 2 humans happens to slay all of the aliens. They can't escape through the hatches, yet the rules say that if time runs out (39 rounds) the humans inside lose.

This hardly seems fair. Did I miss something, or is this actually how the designed intended it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
Microbadge: ChristianMicrobadge: In love with my spouseMicrobadge: Merry ChristmasMicrobadge: I sneak board games into the house - Ho ho ho!!!Microbadge: Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!
[Bias alarm: I played one of the Aliens in the game mentioned above]

While I thought that it was extremely unsatisfying for 2/4 of the hatches to "jam," and the remaining hatch would have jammed (we looked at the card after the game), I also note that the game would have been even more unsatisfying if they had all worked.

I likened it to the sinking of the Titanic... sure, it is nice to get onto a lifeboat (and hope it works) but if not you can shoot the captin for hitting the iceberg but in the end that won't make your sitaution any better.

Perhaps a bad analogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
As frustrating as this may have been for the humans, take joy in the fact that a game this simple can create such an interesting narrative. You now have one of those, "Remember that time...!" moments.

Or, if you find that this bit of narrative upsets you, I urge you to take the time to create a new rule for these types of situations. Perhaps you could simply continue the story with the remaining humans-like a campaign. What if they were picked up by a scout ship, only to find the ship infested with aliens!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls