Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyong done any sort of analysis as to whether it is better to wait to cross the intense fore zones as opposed to doing self-preservation moves immediately? Obviously, it would be nice to wait until the particular WN is disrupted, but your tanks may never succeed. Then there is the idea that waiting until you can bring the most units at one time limits losses to the amount of "steps" in the WN.

I am just curious to see if there are any proven tactics that do not entirely rely upon the card draw to keep casualties to a minimum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting question... I never thought of doing this to reduce casualties based on the idea that the WN can only hit so many targets at once.

I know from personal experience though, that even when I rush the beach and do not hold back, I still find I start to run out of time. So I would guess that waiting for one mad rush after the tanks might disrupt (which hardly happens) you would find that you don't have the turns left to secure areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hobbs
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd have to pull it out and play it again (oh, darn!), but it seems like you'd quickly run into stacking issues that would force you to move forward in any case.

Interesting concept though. I find that I get my guys stacked up on the shingle (those that make it across, anyways), and then can't do enough with them anyway without leaders, so I'm not sure that it would ultimately slow things down that much.

Seems worthy of experimentation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Kewley
United States
Mandeville
Louisiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stacking issues would depend upon drift to to a large extent. Of course, once you reached five steps in a hex, there is no real difference between steady and intense (unless you are armor). The delay could only be for a few turns, but that might be enough.

There seems to be a consensus in the answers to previous questions that it is not worth baraging with 2 factor tanks. Sometimes that is all I have.

I am just trying to come up with someway to improve the odds of not reaching catastrophic loss.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel one of the greatest pressures is 'time', and I'd rather not delay getting my units across the beach and attacking the WN, even if it costs a few steps.

Add to that the risk factor in barraging, your tanks may fail and you may have delayed your infantry for nothing. Ultimately, it is the infantry who will clear those 'nests' and permanently remove the risk of fire, so, in my view, it's best to get them there ASAP.

I'm not saying this is the 'best' strategy (I don't consider myself an expert), but I have some experience with VERY close games where I was just one-turn short of victory (eg: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/471574/easy-fox-scenario-ill...).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.