Subject: Question on CDG Aspect rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
I have read a great deal on how the games works and it seem s to be compared to Friedrich on many levels. Unfortunately, I have never played Frederich. As such, I have nothing to on on when someone compares the use of the cards. My question to you is this: how is the CDG aspect handled in Maria compared to that of Here I Stand, or other CDGs like Wilderness War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Evans
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is NOT a CDG. Cards are not used for Ops or events like those other games. In this one, on your turn, you move all of your armies for free. The cards are their to be used to resolve a conflict when two armies clash. The battle plays out like the old traditional card game "War" (or Battle) in which you both throw cards down, one at a time, until one player cannot or will not throw any more. The guy with more card strength on the table wins the battle forcing the other guy to retreat his army and take casualties.

Also, during the Political phase, events are drawn and each player plays a card face down as a secret bid. When everyone has played a card, they are flipped up and the highest bidder gets first choice of the events.

Maria is a fun and unique system but it's definitely not a Mark Herman style CDG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not a CDG.

There are two event cards flipped up at the start of each turn. Players bid on them with cards from their hand. The events are then resolved and winners can choose to implement all, some or none of the items on the card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you.
I suspected as much but I noticed it is listed as Campaign / Battle Card Driven." I thought I kept missing something in the reviews and literature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.