Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Newland
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Ninja Vanish!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
We are going to start a game this Friday for the first time. My question is, do you need the classic arch type to win this game, meaning having a Tank, a healer, and a damage dealer? I really dont want to go that way. Here is what we wer going to try.

I was going to be a Thief
My brother a Necro
My Friend does not know at this time.

Thoughts on this? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends at what level you're playing. Are you playing Basic/Advanced/Expert? Or are you playing a Campaign? Most of the classes have great alternatives at the higher levels, so it doesn't really matter, play what you want to play. But if you're playing a one-shot Basic, then your choices are much more limited.

As for your selection, Thief+Necro is good, and either of the Warrior or Healer archetypes will be a fine compliment. I'm really starting to like the Knight class, and the Disciple has an awesome lvl 3 skill that damages all monsters in LOS...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tucker
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Greetings!
badge
Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you don't need to go with the tank/healer/dps party. A healer can be nice in a lot of cases, but it's definitely not required. The overlord can choose to attack whoever he wants. I've found that overlord players tend to go for damaging the most squishy heroes more often, and doing other things to slow down the "tank" characters instead, like playing traps on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Morgan
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
eroc1024 wrote:
do you need the classic arch type to win this game

It's hard to go wrong with a nice Ogee or Tudor, but neither those nor even more Classic types such as a Corbel are necessary to win at Descent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim C.
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EitherOrlok wrote:
eroc1024 wrote:

It's hard to go wrong with a nice Ogee or Tudor, but neither those nor even more Classic types such as a Corbel are necessary to win at Descent.

Dude...I have no idea what you just said.

edit: never mind I get it now. That is some seriously nerdy humor there
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Hammond
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pixel pusher wrote:
EitherOrlok wrote:
eroc1024 wrote:

Dude...I have no idea what you just said.

I think he meant you don't have to go with any of those options to be triumphal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
*ba dum tsss*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend a Knight. His Longsword rolls the best dice *and* he can force his opponent to reroll a defense die on a surge!

The thief is good if you will play a campaign. His ability to search is a long-term benefit for the party. Search ALL the tokens!

Speed is good. Fatigue is good. Health is less important.

Whoever owns the game should play the introductory quest solo to understand the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
I highly recommend a Knight. His Longsword rolls the best dice *and* he can force his opponent to reroll a defense die on a surge!

The Knight's Advance ability is awesome. And his shield boosters are great too. He's becoming my favorite class...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.