True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In these threads, we discuss the text and what we think of it. This discussion is open to everyone.

This Jewish translation from the Tananch is found here:
http://www.chabad.org/library/bible_cdo/aid/15813

1. Now Deborah and Barak the son of Abinoam sang on that day, saying. 2. "When breaches are made in Israel, when the people offer themselves willingly, bless the Lord.

3. Hear, O kings, give ear, O princes; I, to the Lord I shall sing, I shall sing to the Lord, the God of Israel.

4. Lord, when You went forth out of Seir, when You marched out of the field of Edom, the earth trembled, the heavens also dripped; also the clouds dripped water. 5. The mountains melted at the presence of the Lord, this (was at) Sinai, because of the presence of the Lord, the God of Israel.

6. In the days of Shamgar the son of Anath, in the days of Jael, caravans ceased, and travellers walked on crooked paths. 7. The open cities ceased, in Israel they ceased, until I Deborah arose; I arose as a mother in Israel. 8. When they chose new gods, then there was war in the cities; was there seen a shield or a spear (when the) forty thousand (went against) Israel? 9. My heart is toward the lawgivers of Israel, that offered themselves willingly among the people, (saying,) 'Bless the Lord.'

10. The riders of white donkeys, those that sit in judgment, and those that walk on the path, tell of it. 11. Instead of the noise of adversaries, between the places of drawing water, there they will tell the righteous acts of the Lord, the righteous acts of restoring open cities in Israel. Then the people of the Lord went down to the cities. 12. Praise! Praise! Deborah. Praise! Praise! Utter a song. Arise Barak, and capture your captives, son of Abinoam.

13. Then ruled a remnant among the mighty of the nations; the Lord dominated the strong for me. 14. Out of Ephraim, whose root was against Amalek; after you (will be) Benjamin with your abaters; out of Machir came down officers, and out of Zebulun they that handle the pen of the scribe. 15. And the princes of Issachar were with Deborah, as was Issachar with Barak; into the valley they rushed forth with their feet. (But) among the divisions of Reuben, (there were) great resolves of heart. 16. Why do you sit between the borders, to hear the bleatings of the flocks? At the divisions of Reuben, (there are) great searchings of heart. 17. Gilead abides beyond the Jordan; and Dan, why does he gather into the ships? Asher dwelt at the shore of the seas, and by his breaches he abides. 18. Zebulun is a people that jeopardized their lives to die, as did Naphtali, upon the high places of the field.

19. The kings came and fought; then fought the kings of Canaan in Taanach by the waters of Megiddo; they took no gain of money. 20. From heaven they fought; the stars from their courses fought against Sisera. 21. The brook Kishon swept them away, that ancient brook, the brook Kishon; tread down, O my soul, (their) strength. 22. Then were pounded the heels of the horses by reason of the prancings, the prancings of their mighty ones. 23. 'Curse you Meroz,' said the messenger of the Lord, 'curse you bitterly (you) inhabitants thereof,' because they came not to the aid of the Lord, to the aid of the Lord against the mighty.

24. Blessed above women shall Jael, the wife of Heber the Kenite, be; above women in the tent shall she be blessed. 25. Water he requested, (but) milk she gave him: in a lordly bowl she brought him cream. 26. She put forth her hand to the pin, and her right hand to strike the weary; she struck Sisera, pierced his head, and wounded and penetrated his temple. 27. At her feet he sank, fell, lay; at her feet he sank (and) fell; where he sank, there he fell down dead.

28. Through the window the mother of Sisera looked forth, and peered through the window; why is his chariot late in coming? Why tarry the strides of his chariots? 29. The wisest of her princesses answer her, she too returns answers to herself. 30. 'Are they not finding (and) dividing the spoils? A damsel, two damsels to every man; a spoil of dyed garments to Sisera, a spoil of dyed garments of embroidery; dyed garments of embroidery for the neck of the spoiler.'

31. So may perish all Your enemies, O Lord; but they that love Him (should be) as the sun when he goes forth in his might." And the land rested forty years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
It should be mentioned that in this account, which is essentially a reset of the previous chapter, that two women, Deborah and Jael, are given full credit by the inspired writer for their actions. Deborah was given the privilege of judging Israel for a time, while also acting as a prophet, whereas Jael, apparently a non-Israelite herself, is credited with bravely assassinating a chief one of God's enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it's a little confusing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
quozl wrote:
Yeah, it's a little confusing.

Do you mean Jael killing Sisera? Apparently Heber had parted ways with the rest of his family, whom 4:11 tells us Moses had closely associated with, so I'm guessing that Jael had perhaps known Moses, or at the very least heard of him and how God was now using him, and so perhaps felt that her husband was making a huge mistake in getting mixed up with King Jabin.

I'm not sure I'd want my wife pinning somebody's head to the ground just because she thought he was bad company, but I wouldn't want her to just stand quietly by while I made the biggest mistake of my life, either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.