Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

The title of the thread is explicit. You can add rulebooks that will read also on vacations, games PBEM and son on...

I will take tomorrow the follow games:

- PBEM: A Victory Lost, Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!, Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 (really want to start this one);

- physical board: 1989: Dawn of Freedom (to play with the wife) - not a wargame;

- rulebooks: Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg!; Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939 and Andean Abyss.

Now your turn...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Christopher
United States
Salem
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
In the wonderful game, Bonaparte at Marengo, this is how to get nasty Frenchies out of a village.
mbmbmbmbmb
Literally whichever ones in my collection that fit in the 105 gallons of games I bring with me on my gaming vacation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, I was just packing mine last night. 3 weeks on Pender Island ( a Gulf Island off the Vancouver coast) in an oceanfront home. I packed:
CC: E and M, Red Winter, Kingdom of Heaven, Carrier, NQOS, Battle of Hue, Julius Caeser, MiddleEarth Quest and FF:Gross..... Also packed rules for both FAB games, Amateurs to Arms, Reds!, and EoTS. Should keep me busy for a few days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules and scenario book for Fireball Forward!. And Up Front goes anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Over 50 Gamer
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Oliver......one cool cat
badge
MEOW!
mbmbmbmbmb
Eschyle wrote:
I am currently on vacation and I took, to play or read the rules a few things:

Commands & Colors: Ancients and Viceroys to play with my young nephew,

Paths of Glory, to play one or two scenarios,

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! and Axis Empires: Dai Senso!, to read the rules and then at home to try some scenarios and familiarize myself with the basics of the game.

But I assure you, I rest too!

Where are you vacationing? we spent a month in France a few years ago, and I swear, the entirety of France was driving to the Med! I noticed because I was driving in the opposite direction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I'm going on vacation with just my wife, I likely won't take any wargames with me. I'll be taking my iPad, which means I'll have access to a bunch of PDFs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not really a vacation, but for my research junket to DC next week I'm taking Ancient Battles Deluxe--small footprint (Super 8s don't have big tables), rules I know well and don't have to learn, not many pieces. No rulebooks this trip...but I am bringing a dissertation, so I should be able to keep my mind occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just returned from an excellent week and half at Kure Beach, North Carolina. This was a family vacation, so I brought no true wargames with me. I did however bring both Condottiere and Battle Line, as those are two games my wife enjoys playing. As it turned out, neither got played. However, I did finish reading "Neptune's Inferno" about the naval battles around Guadalcanal, and starting reading the first volume of Shelby Foote's classic American Civil War trilogy, so at least I was engaged on the military history reading front. I also toured the carrier Yorktown and the destroyer Laffey during a day spent in Charleston, SC! So, a lot of wargaming-related activities, just no actual wargames on this vacation!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Lost Battles for sure.

The others, still pondering: too much choice !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am taking D-Day Dice, a VPG solo game (which one is undecided at this point) and Eindekker and the new St. Lo games from the new ziplock line at Minden Games. I am also bringing Fluxx in case the family gets bored (never happened in almost 5 years).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Paul Koenig's Market Garden: Arnhem Bridge went to St. Petersburg, Russia with me in my messenger bag. Set it up and played about half a game in my hotel room. Almost set it up on the tray table on the flight back, but there wasn't quite room for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cameron
United States
Charleston
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
boddekker wrote:
Paul Koenig's Market Garden: Arnhem Bridge went to St. Petersburg, Russia with me in my messenger bag. Set it up and played about half a game in my hotel room. Almost set it up on the tray table on the flight back, but there wasn't quite room for it.

This is why God created Victory Point Games -- for business trips. Nothing eliminates jet lag like the battle of Borodino.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Walters
United States
Chesterfield
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
"...the art of manoeuvering armies...an art which none may master by the light of nature. but to which, if he is to attain success, a man must serve a long apprenticeship." -- G.F.R. Henderson
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it's the really portable and fast-playing ones, stuff I can get non-wargamers to try. Most people think of some of the easier Victory Point Games titles with 20 or so pieces, but also think of the "postcard" games that LPS/ATO is famous for, and--particularly--The Picrocholine Wars (a real favorite!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take my laptop and at night in the hotel room, I'll make my VASSAL plays, which means:

Empire of the Sun
World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin
Shifting Sands
Washington's War
Totensonntag
Liberty: The American Revolution 1775-83
Hold the Line

As far as instructions, I'll bring something easy, for when my wife is driving and I need something I can skim while chatting at the same time. For me, that will be Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kentreuber wrote:
Since I'm going on vacation with just my wife, I likely won't take any wargames with me. I'll be taking my iPad, which means I'll have access to a bunch of PDFs.

Exactly what I did. Read over the rules to Infidel. Took a few games that I knew the other people I was with would play (not wargames).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Swan
Ireland
Dublin 18
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am away for 2 weeks in a cottage for Cornwall. I have already got a game on of Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap and hopefully will get another play in today. I also brought Zombie Dice and D-Day Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You take wargames on your vacations?! shake
Wargames plus vacation certainly does not compute with my better half.
Come on guys, let them stay at home.
Get out in the nature, climb some mountains, dive some oceans, pass some deserts.
The games will be right there waiting for you when you come back home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cpl. Fields
South Africa
Hopelessly Surrounded
Isandlwana, Zululand
flag msg tools
<insert something pithy here>
badge
<insert something clever here>
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue. It doubles as a very small hotel room.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cafagna
Italy
Trieste
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I took some Rules to read (Flying Colors)and some PDF, but no complete game.
Last Year I took some counters to clip and Almeida et Bussaco 1810 and managed to play a couple of scenarios.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I go on vacation or a short trip I always pack a game along... and it never gets played. The only thing that happens is the box gets a bit more crushed and beaten up. I always tell myself not to do it, but there I am again trying to carefully pack the box in between the shirts and pants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lai
Hong Kong
Happy Valley
None
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Struggle for the Galactic Empire is one that I've enjoyed on vacation, just a bag of ziplock counters and the map and dice and you can play anywhere. Good solid solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Rui, hi All,

Having to spend, unluckily, my summer holidays at home, I do not take any wargames with me! But anyway I'm playing a couple of OCS campaigns with friends that have my same "luck"!

F.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proudly annoying Capitalists since 1959
Cuba
Santa Clara
flag msg tools
badge
Heaven has no rage like love to hatred turned, Nor hell a fury like a woman scorned
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking a wargame on your holiday!!

Wow, I wouldn't dare, I just visit the places where several wars to place, but let me tell you, you don't want to take a wargame with you when you have to cross several of "not-so-friendly" borders.
I reccon they take it away in a flash.

I'll stick to Carcassonne with the family on my holidays.

Cheers, Haring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Haring wrote:
Taking a wargame on your holiday!!

Wow, I wouldn't dare, I just visit the places where several wars to place, but let me tell you, you don't want to take a wargame with you when you have to cross several of "not-so-friendly" borders.
I reccon they take it away in a flash.

I remember a few years ago (2005?) some guys were coming from Canada to Lansing, Michigan, for WIFCon. They had some copies of World in Flames with them, of course. They were driving across the border. A US border agent was very dubious. He asked them, "Is that what you want? A world in flames?" Eventually the innocent Canadian wargamers convinced him it was a game about WW2 not a terrorism manual, and they were allowed in...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Gates
United States
Essex
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RLarsen wrote:
You take wargames on your vacations?! shake
Wargames plus vacation certainly does not compute with my better half.
Come on guys, let them stay at home.
Get out in the nature, climb some mountains, dive some oceans, pass some deserts.
The games will be right there waiting for you when you come back home.

Agreed. I'm currently on vacation in Florida for two weeks, and I didn't bring any wargames with me, never have, and never will. I'm not in Florida to play wargames. I can do that at home. I'm here to go to the beach, hike nature trails and visit family.

The closest I'll come to wargaming is visiting the fort in St. Augustine and imagining I'm holding off the British siege. Is that close enough? And I'll hit CoolStuff's store before I return to Maryland and grab some items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.