Subject: House Archives rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please see further down this thread for latest version.

So this new rule is getting positive feedback so I decided I'd list it here to see if anyone wanted to comment on it.

House Cores (granted by the House Archives tech, which is to be added and by default players start with) are a set of unique cores held by each House. They are intended to fix the issue of novices losing an early battle and going into a death spiral due to having no cores. Secondarily, they should ameliorate positioning errors. Finally, they should enhance the flavour of the House.

To fit them into the tempo-economy, you start with them in your hand, and then they are playable once per game. They do not counter and are not countered by ordinary cores. If you lose your 'midway' system, you lose access to your House Archive. In the case of a timing conflict, attacker triggers their core effects before defender.

Empress
--After revealing cores, reposition one end of a stargate anywhere on the board.

Tactical Oracle

--After choosing but before revealing cores, swap them (so you play your opponent's core, and your opponent plays your core). You will gain your opponent's core effect, if any.
--3 (sic)

Coil
--After revealing cores, you may cloak any of your squadrons in the battle. Cloaked squadrons don't count into your sum power and are not affected by other core effects or the battle outcome.

Imperial Commissioner

--After removing losses, take one squadron from your House Card and place it on a capitol system you own.

Imperial High Lightning
--After revealing cores, you may ignore pinning and move one of your squadrons.

Empress' Hurricane

--After revealing cores, you may offer your opponent a win or a loss. If they decline your offer, you may trigger the Hurricane ability of all your squadrons in the battle square simultaneously. Remove them all, and resolve each in turn against your opponent's squadrons. If they agree, skip the remaining battle sub-phases. The designated loser moves squadrons they had in the fight one square, barring squares owned or occupied by opponents. Do not move ranging squadrons. Losing squadrons drop defence codes.

Thoughts welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Tyman
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume that these cards are immune to the "Decree" edict?

I also assume that after being used these are scrapped?

Likewise, with the Tactical Oracle core, after the swap, the other player can only use the card for the power value before it is scrapped?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
krakonos wrote:
I assume that these cards are immune to the "Decree" edict?

I also assume that after being used these are scrapped?

Likewise, with the Tactical Oracle core, after the swap, the other player can only use the card for the power value before it is scrapped?

House Archives needs more play-testing before I'd be fully happy with it, but with regard to your specific questions:

Decree cannot target House Archives as they won't be edicts or cores.

After use they are scrapped. They'll be put into Reserves if you lose your Archive system, which is the presently blank system near your Capitol. (Another possibility would be stolen, but like I say it needs playtest time!)

Correct that after the swap the other player can only use the card for the power value. There is work needed to tune the timings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Tyman
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well then I hope they do make it, I like the idea of giving novices some help.

BTW, are the regular faction abilities available somewhere on BGG?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Possibly final.

House Archives comprise six cards—one per house—that are used like Tactical Cores, but with special rules and effects. Archive cards are one-shot: they are put in the scrap pile after use.

Additional Rules

Setup, E
Take the Archive card matching your house and add it to your hand. It has the same back as a Tactical Core.

Phase 4—Tactics, A
While you control Archive systems (square), you may play your archive card in battles in place of a core. Play and reveal that card just as you would a core card. Archive cards do not counter and are not countered by core cards.

Phase 4—Tactics, C
Put any archive cards that were revealed in this battle into the scrap-pile.

Edicts and Actions
Archive cards are not subject to Imperial Edicts. For example an Empress' Inquisition asking 'Will you play an archive card in this battle' may be disregarded, and if answered is not binding. A Decree cannot take an archive card, nor choose one to put into the target's hand.

2-player Setup, E
Take the two archive cards matching your allied houses. Add one to your hand and remove the other from the game. Players cannot look at removed archive cards.

Archive Card Effects
Attacker's archive card effects are resolved first, and then defender's. They are triggered when the card is revealed in battle. Clarification - archive card effects are forestalled if Tactical Oracle restarts a battle.

The Empress
Take a stargate (both ends) from reserves and place it on the board. Do not place both ends of a stargate on the same square.
Power 7

Tactical Oracle
Swap cards so that you play your opponent's archive card or tactical core, and they play yours. You gain your opponent's card effect if it has not already been applied.
Power 7

House Coil
You may cloak or uncloak any of your Cloaking squadrons. Remove squadrons that cloak from battles.
Power 7

Imperial Commissioner
You may take a Vulture squadron from your House Card and place it on a stack of your squadrons or system you own.
Power 7

Imperial High Lightning
You may choose up to one of your squadrons. Ignore pinning and move the chosen squadron as a stack. Chosen squadrons drop codes.
Power 7

Empress' Hurricane
You may use the Hurricane ability of your squadrons in the battle square as if it were the tactics phase, and launch or move missiles as if it were your missiles phase.
Power 7

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Updated above. Would be useful to know if the meaning is clear of the rules and effects?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.