Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint DeSena
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am SO tempted to order this, but after watching/reading a few reviews some of the mechanics (like getting gold and drawing cards) appear similar to Arena. A few posters have noticed this as well. I absolutely love Arena, and even though Omen has deck building I don't know if I'd want another game with similar mechanics.

Is Omen different enough to justify owning both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Marie
United States
Cleveland
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I own both...well, I own Roma & Omen. They play nothing alike. Roma uses dice rolling as a resource and to take actions. The end goal is to gain points by creating the best engine. Roma is light and fun
Omen is more like Magic but with a much better resource system. You play cards in a city to either accomplish feats (goals) or to win a battle. It is a much more tactical affair.
I love both, I wouldn't trade either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Rayburn
United States
Gulfport
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Omen is not a deckbuilder. You either play with everything, or draft the cards for your deck before play starts. No cards are added to the deck after play begins.

I've never played Arena, but Omen is most definitely worth it. Omen is probably one of the best games I have ever played. There is a 'random draft' variant that makes the draft pool different every time, and prevents people from using the same deck over and over. My two gaming buddies never turn down a chance to play. I cannot recommend this game highly enough.

-Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint DeSena
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I wrote "deckbuilding" I meant drafting. Oops!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
:C.h.r.i.s. M.c.G.o.w.a.n:
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played both and would NOT consider getting rid of either one at this point. Arena: Roma II is lighter and has the dice differnce mentioned above.

Omen is much more about the cards and the "take that" aspect of battling over a city.

I have played probably 25+ games of Arena: Roma II with my brother in law who games basically with me only and just introduced Omen to him earlier this month. We only got one play of Omen in, but he was up for more plays. He did comment that Omen "was just a game driven by cards" and then I reminded him that some of his favorites (Innovation, Dominion, etc.) were also games driven by cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Own both. Keeping both till they throw the last shovel of dirt on me. Then, my kids can fight over them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig.
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've looked at and considered Roma. I love dice, but have played Omen: A Reign of War. Just get Omen: A Reign of War - you won't be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint DeSena
United States
Plainville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the feedback. Just ordered it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.