Subject: Haunt 5 Question - SPOILERS!!! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Ralls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
What happens to the turn order once you have once more than 1 hero become a traitor (werewolf)? When the haunt began, player 1 became the traitor, so players 2, 3, 4 took their turns before the traitor had his first turn, which I'm sure we all agree is correct per the rulebook.

Player 3 eventually was turned into a werewolf by a dice roll at the start of one of his later turns, and did all of the "do this now" instructions in the Traitor's Tome. It was then that the confusion began.

We had a hard time coming to an agreement about the turn order after this point, but we decided to treat it like you would the start of the haunt (per the rulebook, we decided that the remaining 2 heroes should get the next turns - player 4, followed by player 2) before letting each traitor (players 1 & 3) get their traitors & monsters turns.

Do you think we handled this correctly, or should we have stuck with the clockwise order established at the start of the game? Player 3 argued that it was still his turn, since he hadn't moved/attacked or done anything other than the sanity roll that turned him into a werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Strayer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yikes. Just read the revised 1ed books for that haunt and those stats look to be murder on the Heroes. How are two Heroes supposed to beat that?!

Changing the turn order every time someone fails the Sanity roll seems like a good way to pile up Hero turns and frustrate the Traitors. Extreme case: one player might get several turns more or less in a row as xyr fellow Heroes fail the Sanity roll--and thus have a succeed-at-every-roll-on-the-first-try-or-get-pounded Haunt. Not sure that would be fun. Thus, I'd agree with Player 3.

Letting the Dog have a turn every time a Traitor goes seems like it would give it way too much speed and power--especially as the Dog can infect people, too. (Every time someone succumbs to infection, Heroes lose one person and the Traitors gain two--one Werewolf and another turn for the Dog.f) Preferably one Dog turn per Traitor cycle--before or after the original Traitor, whichever it's supposed to be--please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ralls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response! I think I now agree that we should've just stuck to the order we established when the haunt first began (players 2-4 clockwise, until we got back to player 1, who was the original traitor). Technically, it wasn't the start of the haunt all over again just because there was a 2nd traitor, so we shouldn't have changed the order a 2nd time.

Concerning, the dog, we decided that only the original traitor should get to move dog. Even though the dog had become a monster, we felt it still "belonged" to the 1st hero turned traitor that started the haunt.

It was a fun game, despite the confusion over turns. Player 3 actually had the revolver & silver bullets and probably would've killed the werewolf on that turn had the sanity roll not turned him into another werewolf. Player 4 wound up getting the revolver & silver bullets & killed the original werewolf (player 1), but then was killed by the 2nd werewolf. I was player 2, but before I could get to the revolver & silver bullets, I turned into a werewolf, and the game was over with 1 dead werewolf, 1 dead traitor & 2 werewolves and the dog still living.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Strayer
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sounds like it was a better struggle than I would've guessed--perhaps the turn order helped keep the gun/ammo in play, though. Glad to help, in any event.

Bark at the moon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ralls
United States
Collegeville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
The haunt came pretty late (I think maybe 9 Omen cards were in play), so that probably helped the heroes have a better chance. One of the heroes already had the revolver and he was near one of the required rooms for creating the silver bullets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karasu Gamma
msg tools
We've gotten the werewolf haunt so many times it's not even fun anymore, and the traitor(s) have only won once, including THREE losses with myself as the only werewolf. In the (rare, for us) event that the traitor side does gain more werewolves, the hero who lost that sanity roll becomes a werewolf, drops their items, gets stat boosts (but not the +1 Might/Speed at the turn start), and plays out the rest of their turn as a werewolf. (By consequence, dropping items CAN kill the hero at this point, by way of losing stats before the boosts they would get for becoming a werewolf.) Play then continues to the left as normal.

The bad part is that normally this haunt is extremely unbalanced in favor of the traitors, if you only consider the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Vickery
msg tools
I am pretty sure I have been playing this haunt wrong. But the way I play makes since in lore.

Once you have the gun and the silver bullets in one players hands, and if that player successfully attacks a wolf, the wolf dies.
( Example : explorer rolls a 9 and the wolf rolls a 7 )

In this scenario the wolf dies.

The main purpose of attacks against the wolves from all other explorers is to weaken and slow down the wolves.

If you don't play with the one shot kill then it's almost impossible.

Especially for a party of 2 or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel James
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PolkadotTex wrote:
I am pretty sure I have been playing this haunt wrong. But the way I play makes since in lore.

Once you have the gun and the silver bullets in one players hands, and if that player successfully attacks a wolf, the wolf dies.
( Example : explorer rolls a 9 and the wolf rolls a 7 )

In this scenario the wolf dies.

The main purpose of attacks against the wolves from all other explorers is to weaken and slow down the wolves.

If you don't play with the one shot kill then it's almost impossible.

Especially for a party of 2 or 3.

We've always played a one shot kill too. Thematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.