Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
So the class decks have been the biggest hit with my gaming group so far, and with the conversion kit coming up and no new classes in sight, we have some work to do!

Once we complete the text of every card, I or someone else (I'm taking my Mac to the doctor today, so I can't guarantee my photoshop will be available) can file share the cards to the Geek.

Milestone 1: Deciding the Classes
Post your class ideas and a short description of how the class would play. Once we compile a good selection, we will then collectively vote on which four classes we should focus our efforts on. Obviously, only one class from each archetype will make the cut. The poll will be open through Aug. 6 - Aug. 13.

For you submission, please post in this format:

Class Name: Assassin
Archetype: Fighter
Playstyle Description: A class centered around doing tricky things to enemies of whom did not possess line of sight to you at the start of your turn.

Milestone 2: Deciding the Skill Cards
Same with Milestone 1, we will start compiling ideas, tweak them, and then balance them appropriately. When we get closer to the end of the class poll, more details will be available.

Let's do this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea - I think it could be a lot of fun to think about a new class for the game! (Could even look at artscow.com is it? For cheap deck printing options...)

That said - I have to complain about one part of your idea!

jss05a wrote:
enemies of whom did not possess line of sight to you at the start of your turn.

It will have to be a ranged class - with innate bonuses to range - as staying out of LOS can be hard to do in 2e AND to keep in a reasonable distance if you are going to do a melee action. Reminds me a lot of Bogran's ability from 1e...

Have you tried it out at all in a real game? (If it actually worked ok - then great - happy to be proven wrong!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the power could include being able to "teleport" up to the enemy in question. It could also include powers that make it easier to be out of line of sight (e.g. a 'hide' action that takes you out of LOS if you are more than X number of spaces away, or maybe even lets you be out of LOS if *any* corner-to-corner path intersects an obstacle/character (a little fiddlier, but more "realistic" as you are hiding behind something)).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
Well, the power could include being able to "teleport" up to the enemy in question. It could also include powers that make it easier to be out of line of sight (e.g. a 'hide' action that takes you out of LOS if you are more than X number of spaces away, or maybe even lets you be out of LOS if *any* corner-to-corner path intersects an obstacle/character (a little fiddlier, but more "realistic" as you are hiding behind something)).

Maybe along the same lines - or maybe could be an "illusionist" class... (Again - just brainstorming here) Have an ability that a hero could make a "shadow" self... an illusion of himself. So you would have to make proxy tokens (or use the hero cardboard pieces to indicate where the hero/shadows are) with one (or two) of them being fake and have only 1hp or something like that - with the hero being able to decide where he is standing and the fake selves are standing. (Just got the idea from the new ability in the video game borderlands 2 - where the player can make a "copy/shadow" then teleport to the side or behind the enemy essentially and attack from the back.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Great ideas guys. My example was just something to give people an idea of what to list, but clearly there are obvious holes in the description. Those holes will affect how it fares in the polls, so clear and concise descriptions are definitely the ticket.

As far as submitting ideas that haven't been play tested, that's totally alright! We can't play test to perfection of course, but we can utilize the collective experience and intelligence of the community to hit a theoretical sweet spot. Just be prepared for some feedback when you submit! This feedback is a good thing, and can increase your class submissions's chances of being chosen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Class Name: Monk
Archetype: Scout
Playstyle Description: The Monk is an independent and versatile fighter. He uses powerful battlecries to provoke fear or temporarily incapacitate his enemies. His well suited for one-on-one using his deadly bare-handed fighting style to instantly kill unarmored target - with greater expertise, he can learn how to circumvent even the toughest armor.

Technically, the Monk can learn battlecries. Those are ranged attacks that do not deal damages. Instead, the target must success a saving throw or suffer (depending on the cry):
- move back (one step, to the Monk choice)
- stun (see how it is balanced when compared to other heroes)
- fear (the target cannot attack the Monk until his next turn)
He also has skills based on his fighting bare-handed (nothing equipped). Ideally, I'd force the Monk to always play bare-handed (like a mandatory instruction on his starting skill). As an action, he can instant-kill an adjacent minion with a basic armor (can't remember the dice color). This may require some fatigue to trigger and/or a failed saving throw from the minion - I don't know how powerful such a skill would be. Maybe the caracs of the Monk could be useful here too?

--
Buggy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain BONNEAU
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Note: I made the Monk a scout for his inadequation with weapons and for his ability to survive all by himself. One can argue that he sounds more like a fighter… However, his only fighting skill, in the end, is his bare-handed deadly strike: he is totally unable to fight a normal fight. He's to move around, divide his foes and swiftly kill the remaining ones. In a group, he is the "crowd control" guy, incapacitating or displacing enemies to help his friends, and finishing off the weaker foes with deadly hands.

--
Buggy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Interesting concept! Since not many enemies (if any if I recall correctly) have the basic armor die, how about he can kill enemies that roll poorly on their defense roll? The class skills could be centered on manipulating the situation to gain extra pierce to your rolls. Keep em coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
Heres a bunch of rough ideas
Warrior
Archer (ranged warrior, similar to wildlander except more tanky less movement based)
Paladin (Focus on defence and self heals, not a healer because no ability to heal others)
Leader (Focus on teamwork abilities and buffs)

Healer
Blood Mage (Heals allies at the cost of own health, regains health by doing damage)
Bard (Buffs and heals whole party at once, effects are low cost but low power)
Alchemist (Give allies powerful potions that they can use on their turn examples include fatigue potions, health potions, power potions, grenades, smoke bombs etc.)

Mage
Battle Mage (Melee Mage)
Summoner (Pet class like necromancer except with several pets, high fatigue costs balance their powers)
Druid (Turns into animals adjusting their stats (example bear = +4 health, +1 brown die defence, -1 speed, large creature) animal attacks scale with equppied weapons to prevent balance problems)

Scout
Assassin (Focus on debuffs, attacks that do extra damage on targets who are debuffed)
Duelist (Versatile melee fighter who gains bonuses if only adjacent to one enemy and only using one one handed weapon)
Ranger (Pet class like necromancer, focuses on keeping pet alive rather then blowing it up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Class: Beastmaster
Archetype: Mage
Playstyle Description: This class essentially allows the player to become one monster not currently in play. Later skills will unlock more powerful monster groups and give other beastly perks. When the overlord chooses an open monster group that includes the beastmaster's choice, group limits must be met forcing a demorph. The beastmaster would then choose another monster.

When morphed, the players stats become identical to the appropriate monster card, All rules of monsters must be followed, (all currently equipped items would be turned off) and when the player receives damage enough for the monster to be defeated, they would immediately demorph and receive all carry over damage.

If damaged, you could not morph to a creature with health equal to your wounds, though the starting morph ability would look something like this:

Morph: You can morph into any available minion monster that takes up one square. Your equipped items are negated when morphed, and you immediately demorph when your wounds equal the monster's original health. When morphing initially, you may gain one fatigue to lose one wound as many times as your stamina permits. You can only demorph when your wounds equal your chosen monster's original health. (spiolerz, a skill will make remorphing more convenient!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
Class Name: BGG Poster
Archetype: Whiner (new class)
Playstyle Description: A class centered around seeking advantage using Rules Lawering and beating thier opponents into submission through a barrage of complaints.

Skill Card ideas
That's not in LOS! (hero is no longer in LOS if it defies logic that he is.)
Rulebook Reader (using the rulebook wording change any rule that you wish - you win all arguments.)
Not Balanced, invent houserule (just make some shit up to fix your perception of 'balance')
1st edition was better! (continue the quest using 1st edition rules. Search tokens become Gold chests)
Too much luck! (Instead of using dice this attack, play a game of Purto Rico instead. Victory points causes wounds.)
OMG toothat chick is sexist! (all females have Burkas of +3 defence dice this turn.)
D&D games Rule! (Get the fuck out of the game and never return.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Smith

New Hampshire
msg tools
reidmc wrote:
Druid (Turns into animals adjusting their stats (example bear = +4 health, +1 brown die defence, -1 speed, large creature) animal attacks scale with equppied weapons to prevent balance problems)

I am quite intrigued by this. tryign to think of how he would work, maybe more of a healer archetype.

Starter skill: Rejuvinating Strike (Whenever you or an adjacent ally does attack damage, they heal 1 health)

1XP: Tiger form (Extra damage)
1XP: Bird form (extra speed, move though enemies)
1XP: Nature's Power (Gives an ally extra defense and damage for a turn)

2XP: Bear form (more defense and health)
2XP: Shifted Casting (can use magic attacks and other powers while in animal forms)
2XP: Sap Strength (Nearby enemies take minor damage and you can heal allies with it)

3XP: Enhanced forms (Improves all 3 forms)
3XP: Wolf Familiar (A melee combat familiar which cannot be brought back during an encounter)

I am not sure how it would all look to be 'balanced' overall, but the idea is entertaining to me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Mr Skeletor wrote:
Class Name: BGG Poster
Archetype: Whiner (new class)
Playstyle Description: A class centered around seeking advantage using Rules Lawering and beating thier opponents into submission through a barrage of complaints.

Skill Card ideas
That's not in LOS! (hero is no longer in LOS if it defies logic that he is.)
Rulebook Reader (using the rulebook wording change any rule that you wish - you win all arguments.)
Not Balanced, invent houserule (just make some shit up to fix your perception of 'balance')
1st edition was better! (continue the quest using 1st edition rules. Search tokens become Gold chests)
Too much luck! (Instead of using dice this attack, play a game of Purto Rico instead. Victory points causes wounds.)
OMG toothat chick is sexist! (all females have Burkas of +3 defence dice this turn.)
D&D games Rule! (Get the fuck out of the game and never return.)

Fifth class WINNER!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually in the process of creating a custom campaign, complete with four new classes, one for each archetype. I won't post any information here, because I don't want to reveal anything I'm working on just yet, but I have some really cool ideas.

I'd love to see another class with a familiar that isn't a Mage, such as a Ranger (scout) with an animal companion, or a Shaman (healer) with a totem spirit, or something of the sort.

There's also a lot of room for improvement regarding "stealthy" characters. Note that none of the Descent 2nd Edition classes wield daggers, and none of the shop items are daggers. =|

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm going to detail two of the rough classes that intrigued me

Class Name: Duelist
Archetype: Scout (Maybe Fighter but probably not)
Playstyle Description: A class focused on taking down single opponents, has good damaging and defensive abilities.

Starter skill: Dueling (+1 damage when adjacent to only one monster)
Starting items: Rapier (blue and yellow, can be exhausted like a shield to reroll defence dice)

1XP: Parry (+brown defence die when only equiping one hand worth of items)
1XP: Maneuver (may spend movement to move adjacent enemies, must spend 1 movement for each square the enemy takes up)
1XP: Grab (surge:immobilize an adjacent enemy, must have free hand)

2XP: Footwork (+1 movement to be spent at any time during the turn)
2XP: Focus (1 fatigue: make an attack that gains 1 surge, only works if you are only adjacent to the target and no one else)
2XP: Punch (surge:make an unarmed attack, once per turn, must have free hand)

3XP: Victory (regain fatigue after defeating a monster)
3XP: Blade Dance (after making an attack move a number of spaces equal to half of rolled range)

Class Name: Blood Mage
Archetype: Healer
Playstyle Description: A class focused on using their own life to heal their allies and their life by stealing health from enemies.

Starter skill: Life Drain (All successful attacks restore 1 health, exhaust to give up to 3 of your health to an adjacent ally)
Starting items: Wicked Knife (blue and yellow, does 1 extra damage if the target rolls no shields)

1XP: Give Life (you may give up to 5 health with life drain)
1XP: Syphon (you may give health to a target upto 3 away, you may also give 1 fatigue)
1XP: Sacrifice (1 fatigue and an action: make an attack on an ally, you gain health equal to double the damage dealt)

2XP: Suffering (if you inflict at least one damage give the target all your conditions, exhaust to take all the conditions of an ally 3 away)
2XP: Leech (restore 2 health on a successful attack and surge: restore 1 more health)
2XP: Martyr (knock yourself out, all remaining health and fatigue is doubled then divided amongst your allies any way you see fit)

3XP: Control (costs 3 fatigue, your turn and 1 health for each space the targets occupy, activate target creature group as if it was your familiar)
3XP: Deathknell (costs 1 fatigue and an action, kill target creature with 1 health left, restore all health)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Angeles

New York
msg tools
mb
Duelists need:

Challenge: Target monster within three spaces must attack you on its turn. If it is also a minion non-large monster, it may not move except to try to become adjacent to you. Costs two fatigue(two or three xp)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
On a positive note, my mac is going to be okay which means my photoshop is fully functional. So, I will be more than happy to create the cards.

But since this is a community effort, would there be anyone willing to scan me some images of the cards for my reference?

I will need:

The back image of all four archetype class cards
The front image of all four archetype class cards

With those eight images, I can make due from there. Thanks in advance guys!

Looking forward to rolling these out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
Some of the cards for Duelist:

If the images dont work just use the links
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/707/duelist01.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/801/duelist02.jpg/
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/163/rapier.jpg/

Edit: All the skills on an 8.5 x 11 page, I printed it out and really want to test it, I'll tell you guys how it goes.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/duelistprintsheet.jp...

Edit #2: I didn't give duelists challenge because theres already a skill with that exact name (and approximate ability) for knights, the duelist already has enough control through grab and maneuver.

Edit #3: Blood Mage

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/15/bloodmageprintsheet....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gah! You guys keep posting all the ideas I'm using for my four custom classes! surprise

Get out of my brain!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy 'Peachy' Devery
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Class: Spectre
Archetype: Mage
Playstyle: The Spectre has abilities that use monster traits against them (such as Stealth, Scamper, etc. Things that don't require surges or actions) as well as surge and turn manipulation.

The Spectre can take on some monster traits for a turn, give unused surges they make to allies, and interrupt turns with actions. They could also give their actions to other heroes for us one their turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aidyn Newman
United States
Schenectady
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey guys,

I made a thread for one of the four classes I'm creating.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/837664/feonixs-custom-descen...

I thought you might be interested since it's relevant to this thread. Let me know what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Pushkar
Estonia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Class: Paladin
Archetype: Healer

Blessed Mace
1 Hand, Melee, Blue and Yellow, surge: recover 1♥ to yourself of adjacent hero.
Defensive Aura
Action (2 fatigue): Exhaust this card. While this card is exhausted every hero within 3 spaces of you (including you) has: ”When you attacked gain +1 [shield]”.
You can have only one aura exhausted. If you exhaust new Aura, refresh all other Auras you have exhausted.
You can choose not to refresh this card at the start of your turn.
Aura of Life (1XP)
Action (2 fatigue): Exhaust this card. While this card is exhausted every hero within 3 spaces of you (including you) has: ”At the start of your turn restore 1 ♥”.
Health restored this way cannot trigger any abilities.
You can have only one aura exhausted. If you exhaust new Aura, refresh all other Auras you have exhausted.
Hammer of Gods (1XP)
Action (1 fatigue): Perform attack action. That attack gains: “surge: Stun”.
Healing Ray (1XP)
1 fatigue: Exhaust this card, choose hero within your line of sight and roll one red power die. Chosen hero recover ♥ equal to the ♥ rolled.
Aura of Fury (2XP)
Action (2 fatigue): Exhaust this card. While this card is exhausted every hero within 3 spaces of you (including you) has: “When you attack, gain +1 ♥”.
You can choose not to refresh this card at the start of your turn.
Circle of Protection (2XP)
Action (2 fatigue): Exhaust this card and place fatigue token in your place. All enemy figures treat any square within 3 spaces of this token as water.
Remove this token when you refresh this card.
Consecration (2XP)
Action: All enemy figures adjacent to you suffer 1 ♥.
Master of Aura (3XP)
Effect (not range) of all your auras are doubled.
Lay Hands (3XP)
Action: Exhaust this card and place 3 fatigue tokens on it. This card does not refresh at the start of your turn.
Adjacent hero recovers ♥ equal to half of your remaining health rounded down plus 2.
At the start of your turn remove one fatigue token from this card. If this was last token, refresh this card.

Don't know about balance, just a sketch.
Also may be some grammar errors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Sorenson
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Poll
Which classes should we focus our efforts on?
  Bvggy's Monk Scout jss05a's Beastmaster Mage Draffut's Druid Healer reidmc's Duelist Scout reidmc's Blood Mage Healer Blossercubbles Spectre Mage soddy's Paladin Healer Vote Count
This should be the Scout! 57.1% (4) 0.0% (0) 14.3% (1) 14.3% (1) 0.0% (0) 14.3% (1) 0.0% (0) 7
This should be the Fighter! 28.6% (2) 0.0% (0) 14.3% (1) 28.6% (2) 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 28.6% (2) 7
This should be the Mage! 0.0% (0) 33.3% (2) 16.7% (1) 0.0% (0) 33.3% (2) 16.7% (1) 0.0% (0) 6
This should be the Healer! 0.0% (0) 0.0% (0) 14.3% (1) 0.0% (0) 57.1% (4) 0.0% (0) 28.6% (2) 7
Total Voters 7
This poll is now closed.   7 answers
Poll created by jss05a
Closes: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:00 am

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid Miles Chapman
Canada
flag msg tools
Please don't vote on my class ideas as I have already made them, unless of course you guys think you can make the class better then me, in which case: it's on!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.