Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
An idea for a new card deck.

These are the weird and wonderful gadges of pulp fiction - from rocket packs to ray guns, teleport bracelets to aqua subs

Something for Dr Zhukov to build or Villains to steal

A bit like Common items but more expensive and you also have to have requirements to get them - a successsful CUNNING Test (Tech) perhaps?

thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Long
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That sure would be fun! Flying Frog should do an expansion with Gadgets included!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So a deck of 20 'Gadget' cards need to be designed. this should be fairly straightforward.

Each has a cost requirement - Cunning (Tech) Test, Fortune and/or Glory.

We can also have a Villain event card where a Villain acquires one of the gadgets?

Rocketpack is first on my list...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim DeForest
msg tools
mbmb
Doc Savage & his men had bulletproof underwear (+1 Defense) and those special machine guns that fired mercy bullets (combat bonus plus maybe a roll of 6 counts as 2 hits).

Doc was always secretly breaking open capsules of knock-out gas to take out groups of thugs/henchmen. That might translate into getting a free attack before actual combat starts.

The Shadow had suction cups he could attach to his hands and feet to scale buildings. I'm not sure how that would translate into a game effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Bullet-proof underwear..

Seriously?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim DeForest
msg tools
mbmb
Yes, seriously. Doc and his men wore bullet-proof underwear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PLEASE tell me that in their secret hideaway they did NOT strut around in only their bulletproof underwear. And I've always wondered about that pig - - - .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim DeForest
msg tools
mbmb
LOL. No, they stayed appropriately dressed in their headquarters. The pig (and a pet ape) existed mostly for comedy relief--though they were a little bit overused in some of the novels.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been doing some test cards and sadly they overpower the game so I won't be going further with this one.

'Jetpack' will be retooled (along with several others) as 'Gear' cards however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, my worry with another deck of items (beyond your comment of being too powerful) is that it may add unnecessary clutter, what with common items, gear, and allies already providing boosts.

What you might could do is make them special Gear cards (so that they are random and can't just be bought), but require you to overcome a danger or two to actually acquire them (like, breaking into a test laboratory to get the rocket pack). The danger(s) could be printed on the card, and you have to use your whole action phase to acquire it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
simon cogan
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, something like that

I think the Gear deck needs some items that add extra Cunning too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Holzhauer
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Building the perfect game collection for our growing family
badge
Who knew Euro games could be thematic?
mbmbmbmbmb
When we play, we rarely buy gear, allies, or common items. We ten to save up glory for healing, and even then , we never have a ton of glory. I honestly have seen very few of these cards yet, since I haven't peeked (maybe I should).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.