Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I remember correctly, in the first version of card Catan for 2 players there was a requirement for the Trade Advantage to have a City... why this is no more true? For me - after quite a lot of games - it still makes more sence: as the Trade roll is by far more serious than the Celebration roll.
With such a requirement, the player would have more meaningful decisions between the most Commerce / Strength / Skill points... which would make also the quick expanding + trade by far less dominating strategy, IMHO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We have changed the requirements: in the old card game, a city was required, but 1 commercial point was sufficient - when the opponent had none. Now at least 3 commercial points are required - and at least 3 strength points for the hero token - which makes it even easier for board gamers who are familier with the rule that at least 3 knight cards are required for the largest army card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedPiranha wrote:
We have changed the requirements: in the old card game, a city was required, but 1 commercial point was sufficient - when the opponent had none. Now at least 3 commercial points are required - and at least 3 strength points for the hero token - which makes it even easier for board gamers who are familier with the rule that at least 3 knight cards are required for the largest army card.

I can see the difference - but the City requirement is IMO much harsh for this powerfull "roll option". For me the most % winning strategy seems to be to go after the Trade Advantage together with new Settlements: I win through it in about 80% of games played (depending on the exact theme(s) played).

If the City requirement would be still present, it would be much harder to get the initial boost. The thing is: if the opponent would resign on pursuing the Trade Advantage, it seems that other strategies are harder to execute / less profiting. If both players will pursue the Trade Advantage, the games shifts to one similar race during its first third/half.

All of this could happened because of mine particular opponents, of course - but going after the Trade Advantage seems to be (and high probably is) most revarding strategy in general (you will gain more resources, you will reduce your opponent's resources and you will receive an additional VP).

Shouldn't be the City requirement for Trade Advantage more in place, after all?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only one player goes for the trade advantage and the other player has no other advantage, e.g. the most strength points, the player with the trade advantage will more often win the games. But to get this advantage he has to investigate resources and often the player with a straight concept has advantages against players who are indecisive.

Our main goal when we changed the requirement was to make the game easier to play, since many players of the old card game have ignored the city requirement for the trade token since there isn't such a requirement for the similar longest road and largest army in the board game. To make it even more difficult to achieve the trade advantage, the storehouses (former garrisons) have lost the commercial point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Hejna
Czech Republic
Prague
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still believe that at least the City requirement for the roll "Trade" would be in place... this power can shift the resource ballance highly in favour of one player and thus it changes the number of attainable VPs for a given time (it is twice as powerfull as the "Celebration" roll).

With the current ruling, the player who will keep the Trade Advantage for the most of the playtime will IMO receive (on average) better chance of winning against almost every opponent's strategy.

Btw: how went this during the beta-testing?
Maybe there are still strategies/tactics against I'm not aware of yet..?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reiner Dr. Düren
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most players who play Rivals online think that the hero strategy is the strongest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.