Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: general newbie questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the rules a few times, and after conlcusion of my second game (what a wonderfull boardgame!) I have a lot of questions which I'm trying to put together. Some doubts are maybe consequence of just starting at the game, while other for confirming my understandig of some mechanics I'm not sure, also as you can see I speek brokken Englich, so please excuse the poor redaction.
Anyway thanks in advance for your time.

General:
1)About using the ability of a new Guide immediately, does this means for example, that if Pippin is the Guide and he is the only Companion left in the Fellowship, if a Hunt brings a "2-Reveal" hunt-tile up, then after choosing to sacrifice Pippin, can Gollum immediately use his ability for not revealing the FSP with the 2R hunt-tile?

2)About the same topic, could I even chain the guide ability of Merry and Pippin, reducing 2 points of damage for the sema hunt-tile?

3)About Fellowship Declaration, rules say: "This declaration usually happens because the Free Peoples player wants to have the Ring-bearers heal from Corruption in a City or Stronghold, wants to activate a Nation, or wants to use an Event card that requires...". It could also usually happen because the FPP wants to move the Comunity away from a Nazgul, Shadow Army or Shadow Stronghold in his actual region, or am I missing something?

Official FAQ:
4)I'm confused about the clarification about "Activating Free Peoples Nations" when a Companion enters play in a City or Stronghold of that Nation. He still needs to end his movement in this City or Stronghold, or is this not needed in this case?

5)I suppose the Errata for "Hunts Effects when Declaring or Revealing the Fellowship(page 41)" is also extensible to "Balrog of Moria"? Maybe this is already covered under the Clarificactions about "Settlementes" in the same FAQ.

6)Also, is there any other ability/event besides "Balrog of Moria" for which the correction about ignoring the reveal icon could be relevant?

I will post my specific cards questions in another thread, , preventing noone reads this because of the long.

[Edit:just order, for clarity]
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hilton
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Gollum using his guide ability immediately after Pippin does; yes.
2. Chaining Merry and Pippin; yes. (One of the cuter little thematic things in the game, I think).
3. Yes, I will declare away from shadow units, strongholds, or Nazgul in my FSP last known position.

4. I believe this is to clarify that if Aragorn enters play in MT, DA, or Pelargir, this is sufficient to activate Gondor. (Strider does not activate Gondor, only the North). He doesn't have to take an empty movement or something to activate Gondor.
5. Yes, according this clarification if you declare straight from Rivendell to Lorien while the Balrog card is in play, the Shadow player can still force you to draw a tile, but reveal icons on the drawn tile should be ignored.
6. I can't think of one.

I would answer your card questions but I'm too lazy to get out my cards.

alerce wrote:


General:
1)About using the ability of a new Guide immediately, does this means for example, that if Pippin is the Guide and he is the only Companion left in the Fellowship, if a Hunt brings a "2-Reveal" hunt-tile up, then after choosing to sacrifice Pippin, can Gollum immediately use his ability for not revealing the FSP with the 2R hunt-tile?
2)About the same topic, could I even chain the guide ability of Merry and Pippin, reducing 2 points of damage for the sema hunt-tile?
3)About Fellowship Declaration, rules say: "This declaration usually happens because the Free Peoples player wants to have the Ring-bearers heal from Corruption in a City or Stronghold, wants to activate a Nation, or wants to use an Event card that requires...". It could also usually happen because the FPP wants to move the Comunity away from a Nazgul, Shadow Army or Shadow Stronghold in his actual region, or am I missing something?

Official FAQ:
4)I'm confused about the clarification about "Activating Free Peoples Nations" when a Companion enters play in a City or Stronghold of that Nation. He still needs to end his movement in this City or Stronghold, or is this not needed in this case?
5)I suppose the Errata for "Hunts Effects when Declaring or Revealing the Fellowship(page 41)" is also extensible to "Balrog of Moria"? Maybe this is already covered under the Clarificactions about "Settlementes" in the same FAQ.
6)Also, is there any other ability/event besides "Balrog of Moria" for which the correction about ignoring the reveal icon could be relevant?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
Menin Gate at Midnight, Will Longstaff, 1927.
badge
"At the landing, and here ever since" - Anzac Book, p. 35.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
lykouragh wrote:
1. Gollum using his guide ability immediately after Pippin does; yes.


The FAQ (1st Ed) states that Gollum CANNOT use his ability if another Companion was eliminated in the same Hunt tile (p. 28)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arek
Poland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Amnese wrote:
lykouragh wrote:
1. Gollum using his guide ability immediately after Pippin does; yes.


The FAQ (1st Ed) states that Gollum CANNOT use his ability if another Companion was eliminated in the same Hunt tile (p. 28)


In 2nd edition he can.

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Yes
4. You can activate nation in Fellowship phase, so Companion must be in City/Stronghold at that phase. Read below
5. Yes
6. I don't think so.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What the preceding posters said, except...

Dagger777 wrote:
4. You can activate nation in Fellowship phase, so Companion must be in City/Stronghold at that phase.


No, activating nations through companions happens whenever they start or end a move in one of the nation's cities or strongholds (during the Fellowship phase, the Fellowship can activate a nation).

This is only a concern for Aragorn as Jordan says. Basically Gondor gets activated, as soon he is crowned, whether he moves or not.

Dagger777 wrote:
6. I don't think so.


Not at the moment. There will be a card in the expansion which has a similar effect, that's why (I think) the FAQ entry has this general wording, instead of mentioning the Balrog specifically.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! Thanks a lot for your answers.

The Guide ability-chaining for a same hunt-tile confused me, because of the timing for the "Effects of the Hunt", where casualty's are taken after using the Guide ability (p41-42).
Anyway, I see that new Guide abilities are aplicable immediately, -as an exception- in the moment he enters in play as Guide.

Uthoroc wrote:
No, activating nations through companions happens whenever they start or end a move in one of the nation's cities or strongholds (during the Fellowship phase, the Fellowship can activate a nation).

This is only a concern for Aragorn as Jordan says. Basically Gondor gets activated, as soon he is crowned, whether he moves or not.

Ok. I get that Aragorn activates Gondor when he enters play without the need of moving. And I understand now the meaning of "entering play" from the FAQ. Thanks.
Although I think it is not so accurate to say that they activate when they "start" a move, but sure...in the practice, if the Community or the Companion was already there, the Nation would already be activated.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.