Subject: Ongoing session, 3 player, first game (FINISHED) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
I'll think of something witty to put here...
mbmbmbmbmb

Next available train: first 5T

Holdings:

Paul:
NSB 5 Shares
Minors #1 & #2
$201
Priority Deal Elephant

NSB: 3+3T, $415, 2 shares, 2 tokens
Minor #1: 2+2T, $260
Minor #2: 4T, $5

Will:
VR 4 Shares
Minor #3
Private with 1 Ferry token.
SNJ 2 Shares
NSB 1 Share
DSB 1 Share
$273

VR: 4T, $146, Ferry token, 1 token, 5 shares
Minor #3: 3T, $1

Rich:
SNJ: 6 Shares
DSB: 3 Shares
NSB: 2 Shares
VR: 1 Share
$300

SNJ: 3T, 289, Coal Thingie, 2 tokens
DSB: 3T, $532, 1 token

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Shaffer
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Ongoing session, 3 player, first game
No real train rush in this game, I guess. I'm not sure I've ever seen a minor owning a 4T. In our games, minor 2 is lucky to reach its destination before the SJ forms.

Why is the dot adjacent to the minor 2/3 home upgraded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Stokes
United Kingdom
winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Not this good looking in real life
mbmbmbmbmb
Bear in mind that none of us have ever played SCAN before. Also, I've only ever played about 3 games of 1830 and Will hasn't ever played an 18XX before, so we have all undoubtedly made schoolboy errors which would have had any vaguely experienced 18XX shark gobbling us up.

I ended up with SNJ with the +50 coal thing and the coal field which pays 50 during the green phases, which gave me a pretty solid incentive not to push things into the brown building phase.

Really enjoying the game, very interesting. I find myself wishing the game was easily available in the UK because it's rather cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheCat wrote:
No real train rush in this game, I guess. I'm not sure I've ever seen a minor owning a 4T. In our games, minor 2 is lucky to reach its destination before the SJ forms.

Why is the dot adjacent to the minor 2/3 home upgraded?

It's hard to rush the trains as corps can only normally buy 1 train per turn, and it's incremental cap in the early to mid game. I suppose if there's lots of share selling, then that would release money that can then be used to buy treasury shares, in turn allowing the corps to chew through the trains. However, only 2 shares have been sold so far - both by me in order to float the Norwegian State - I started with 2 minors (and thus little else!)

As for Hex 10E, I can't remember who made that upgrade, but it was probably me. I built minor #2 to Trondheim, before deciding that Trondheim is a stupid city in a stupid place, so I wanted to go elsewhere. It appears to also synergise with NSB's 3+3T.

I'm also responsible for #2 owning a 4T. NSB floated at 100, bought a 4T, which I then sold to #2, as part of a half baked plan that I'm in the middle of bungling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We finished the game a couple of weeks ago.

While we were setting up, one of the shares was missing, then near the end of the game Rich realised he had 7 shares in a company. He thought he only had 5 when he had 6, so at some point bought another. He only got payment for 6 shares, and when the mistake was realised we corrected the situation as best as possible. But there was a point (I think) where he was only claiming income for 5 shares. This was several rounds back, and we didn't know what the dividends were.

We resumed the game going into a Stock Round. I went first and bought the Swedish State (SJ) Presidency, because I had 2 minors and a 4T under control, and expecting the 5T to come out next OR. I had to jiggle my portfolio around, and made the fateful decision to dump all 5 shares of Norwegian State, making Rich the President of 3 companies. It had a 3+3T at this point.

Will had VR (light blue) and Minor 3, with a 3T and 4T, and probably some other shares.

I had Minors 1+2 with a 3T and 4T and some random shares.

Rich had I think 2 3Ts and a 3+3T under his control and a share advantage, so was out-earning us.

I was not in a position to do anything as SJ was inactive, and my minors didn't have the capital to force through the 5T. Rich had a big stack of cash, but refused to spend it as he could sit back and claw himself into the lead.

A pair of rounds went by like this, and we came back to the SR with the SJ still inactive. On the next pair of rounds, Will withheld with VR one round, then used the money to force out the 5T and break out of the situation. Withholding is not too bad in 18Scan because share prices will bounce back with a double bump.

SJ finally came online and totally rocked with a 4D. It didn't quite have enough $ for two trains, so I bought the better of the two and spent the rest on tokens and building to Newcastle.

When we tallied up, Will was in 3rd by about $1000. Rich and I were separated by $1, with me in the lead. However Rich's miscounting of shares muddied the situation. Arguably he should have won, but he sportingly agreed to call it a draw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.