Subject: Specifig various card questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing with my questions about the game, could you help me clarify this specific cards?

1)[Confusion] I'm confused about the meaning of the word "unmodified" in this cards context. Is a "1" result not affected by modifiers hiting in any case or does a "1" only hit if there are no-modifiers on play?

2)[Through a Day and a Night] Does the Companion need to move with the army? Or can it be left behind at the initial split?

3)[Cirdan's Ship] Can the FPP recruit even in Umbar if it has one FPP army there? Even if Umbar is controlled by SP and is under siege, since in 2ed it would be considered a Free Region?

4)[Devilry of Orthanc] In general, cards like this one, which modify your "Combat Roll", don't modify your "Leader Re-roll". Am I right?

5)[Grond, Hammer of the Underworld]&[The Fighting Uruk-Hai] I have already seen a Veldrin's answer where he says the three combat rounds MUST be fought! After that, can the Shadow Player continue attacking if he reduces an elite?

6)[Horde from the East] Are Khand and Far Harad considered to be adjacent to the eastern edge of the map?

7)[Kinded of Glorfindel] If I couldn't not recruit units in Rivendel (not enough units or under SP control) can I still draw a card?

Thanks a lot in advance....

[Edit:order]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Bill
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I can't remember where in the rules, but I believe an unmodified roll of 1 always misses(the die lands on 1, not the die is 3 but due to some card effect there is a minus 2).

Also, I believe an unmodified roll of 6 always hits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay P

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
alerce wrote:
Continuing with my questions about the game, could you help me clarify this specific cards?

1)[Confusion] I'm confused about the meaning of the word "unmodified" in this cards context. Is a "1" result not affected by modifiers hiting in any case or does a "1" only hit if there are no-modifiers on play?

2)[Through a Day and a Night] Does the Companion need to move with the army? Or can it be left behind at the initial split?

3)[Cirdan's Ship] Can the FPP recruit even in Umbar if it has one FPP army there? Even if Umbar is controlled by SP and is under siege, since in 2ed it would be considered a Free Region?

4)[Devilry of Orthanc] In general, cards like this one, which modify your "Combat Roll", don't modify your "Leader Re-roll". Am I right?

5)[Grond, Hammer of the Underworld]&[The Fighting Uruk-Hai] I have already seen a Veldrin's answer where he says the three combat rounds MUST be fought! After that, can the Shadow Player continue attacking if he reduces an elite?

6)[Horde from the East] Are Khand and Far Harad considered to be adjacent to the eastern edge of the map?

7)[Kinded of Glorfindel] If I couldn't not recruit units in Rivendel (not enough units or under SP control) can I still draw a card?

Thanks a lot in advance....

[Edit:order]

1) Unmodified means whatever shows on the dice.

2)Not sure.

3) Yes.

4) Correct.

5) Yes.

6) Yes.

7) Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralf Schemmann
Germany
Siegen
NRW
flag msg tools
www.der-ringkrieg.de
badge
www.der-ringkrieg.de
mbmbmbmbmb
1) This is to make sure a 1 reduction from the Shadow's combat roll (e.g. Advantageous Position) doesn't mean the effect gets applied when he rolls a 2. It means only a natural roll of 1 has the effect, regardless of its modification.
2) He has to move with the army. The split army would not have a companion, so the card can't be played on it.
3) Yes, he can. All normal mustering conditions apply. You can also muster Cirdan's elves in Umbar when you are besieged there as the Free.
4) Absolutely correct, that's why it's explicitly mentioned when both rolls are affected (see Deadly Strife for example).
5) Yes, he can. The battle continues as normal.
6) Yes, they are. See the extension of the borders behind the Shadow card spaces.
7) Yes, you can. See the rules page 22, 2nd column, the paragraph above the "Knights of Dol Amroth" example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ralf is 100% correct, as usual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay P

Alexandria
Virginia
msg tools
Uthoroc wrote:

2) He has to move with the army. The split army would not have a companion, so the card can't be played on it.

If there are multiple Companions in the army, only one Companion needs to move with it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo S.
Chile
Valdivia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great. Thanks a lot for your time to all...for reading and answering.

Uthoroc wrote:
Aha! The split is done before applying the event to it.

Uthoroc wrote:
3) Yes, he can. All normal mustering conditions apply. You can also muster Cirdan's elves in Umbar when you are besieged there as the Free.
Nice example. Hadn't thought about this aditional case.

Uthoroc wrote:
6) Yes, they are. See the extension of the borders behind the Shadow card spaces.
Khand is not so clear (at least in 2nd edition), the east border could be covered, but I trust in you.

Uthoroc wrote:
7) Yes, you can. See the rules page 22, 2nd column, the paragraph above the "Knights of Dol Amroth" example.
Ok. So I think in general the "Then..." part of cards, accepts that previous actions are only done if possible.

Hope to have understood it right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PapaGamer wrote:
If there are multiple Companions in the army, only one Companion needs to move with it?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.