Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) In the Cardinal's Plight quest, what happens if Cardinal Koth is diseased by the zombies before he is rescued? Is the disease checked every round even though he has no turn? Or is the disease only checked once he's rescued? It could make a difference since he has no stamina and so would be taking extra wounds as a result (although in our game I had 3 minion zombies from the first encounter and he dropped pretty quickly anyway).

2) After completing the Interlude, the rules state that the heroes have the opportunity to buy any remaining items from the Act I deck. Does this replace the normal shopping step in the Campaign phase, or do we then have a normal shopping step where the heroes can buy Act II shop items?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Probst
Germany
Kiel
Schleswig Holstein
flag msg tools
Peristarkawan wrote:
2) After completing the Interlude, the rules state that the heroes have the opportunity to buy any remaining items from the Act I deck. Does this replace the normal shopping step in the Campaign phase, or do we then have a normal shopping step where the heroes can buy Act II shop items?

Been thinking about posting that question too, put it off incase quest guide says something about it.

Base rules don't give us a specific timing sequence how the 2 sequences (post general quest, post interlude addon) interact. They do use the terms "after" and "immediately after" though. In my common sense understanding of the words, I'd perform the "immediately after" thing first (interlude specific shopping, act deck change), then the "after" one (campaign phase).

This would have 2 maybe non-obvious consequences:
- Gold from interlude rward/searches isnt available for the final act 1 deck sale
- Act 2 stuff *is* available for the regular post-interlude shopping phase because the decks just got exchanged.

Any other readings how "after" and "immediately after" interact?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Cardinal still has 'rounds', he just doesn't do anything until he's rescued. So we played that if he was diseased, he checked at the end of the heroes' turn and mostly saved himself.

Our main question was after he's 'rescued', does the rule that only zombies attack him still apply? Or can the Farrow attack him, or any of the other surviving monsters? We couldn't find anything that disqualified that ruling, so we only allowed zombies to hit him. He was extremely frustrated since the cardinal was surrounded by non-zombies and he couldn't touch him.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
The Cardinal still has 'rounds', he just doesn't do anything until he's rescued. So we played that if he was diseased, he checked at the end of the heroes' turn and mostly saved himself.

Our main question was after he's 'rescued', does the rule that only zombies attack him still apply? Or can the Farrow attack him, or any of the other surviving monsters? We couldn't find anything that disqualified that ruling, so we only allowed zombies to hit him. He was extremely frustrated since the cardinal was surrounded by non-zombies and he couldn't touch him.

I'm pretty sure it's supposed to only be zombies, ever, based on the flavor text - it implies that he's immune to the "unfaithful", and that the only reason the Zombies can hit him is because they are reanimated corpses of the faithful.

I think Farrow and the other monster's main goal is to slow down the heroes long enough for the Zombies to do their job.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yost
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also a little unsure about whether he was supposed to get diseased and poisoned. It's a bummer that he's immune to all of the nice healing powers and healing potions, but totally vulnerable to poison. This mission is tough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B
Sweden
Kungsbacka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weltenreiter wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

Been thinking about posting that question too, put it off incase quest guide says something about it.

Base rules don't give us a specific timing sequence how the 2 sequences (post general quest, post interlude addon) interact. They do use the terms "after" and "immediately after" though. In my common sense understanding of the words, I'd perform the "immediately after" thing first (interlude specific shopping, act deck change), then the "after" one (campaign phase).

- Gold from interlude rward/searches isnt available for the final act 1 deck sale
- Act 2 stuff *is* available for the regular post-interlude shopping phase because the decks just got exchanged.

This is exactly how I interpret the rules as they are written but it seems a bit weird to me, especially the fact that you don't get money from any search items you gain during the interlude. I do however assume you're still allowed to sell items because the rules explain that you can do it "while shopping" and during the post-interlude thingy you "visit the shop".

It would make more sense to me if the post-interlude shopping replaced the regular shopping in the campaign phase following the interlude. (I.e. when you reach step 5, "shopping", of the campaign phase immediately after the interlude you would get to purchase any remaining act 1 items instead of turning up #Heroes+1 items)

I would be really interested in hearing how the rest of you interpret and play the campaign phase immediately after the interlude.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allan Clements
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
Turns out Esseb did touch the flag. Don't tell him I said so though.
mbmbmbmbmb
After the interlude, the heroes spend the gold from the interlude and any left over on any items from the entirity of the act I shop deck.

From then on after each quest you use the act II deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Deebs wrote:
Weltenreiter wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

This is exactly how I interpret the rules as they are written but it seems a bit weird to me, especially the fact that you don't get money from any search items you gain during the interlude. I do however assume you're still allowed to sell items because the rules explain that you can do it "while shopping" and during the post-interlude thingy you "visit the shop".

It would make more sense to me if the post-interlude shopping replaced the regular shopping in the campaign phase following the interlude. (I.e. when you reach step 5, "shopping", of the campaign phase immediately after the interlude you would get to purchase any remaining act 1 items instead of turning up #Heroes+1 items)

I would be really interested in hearing how the rest of you interpret and play the campaign phase immediately after the interlude.

Is there any more people agreeing that there is no access to act II items after the interlude? ie. there is no typical campaign phase after the interlude?

I've been playing with shopping with all the act I store items, then after replacing them with act II items, then doing a normal campaign shopping step with 1+ the number of players, then spending XP and someone selects the next quest.

This seems reasonable to me because at this point, many of the heroes still have their starting weapons and that barely does any damage....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Reeve
Switzerland
St-Légier
Vaud
flag msg tools
badge
Looking for a game session in Switzerland? Send me a pm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the Interlude belong to Act II?
I don't think so.
That seems why you can grasp (well... pay) any remaining Act I shop items.
So I would not see any access given to Act II gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Albert
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think my point of confusion is that immediately after the interlude you make the swap of Act I to Act II cards. Then subsequently we go through the campaign phase after that which means you can shop Act II items before the first act II quest.....in my perspective. I suppose there's no official word on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were thinking that shopping - if played that way - is a little off.

The Prelude is played without items. Then we have shopping, and of course more shopping after each quest and the Interlude (4 shopping trips plus the final "buy what you want" spree). So for each of the Act I quests and the Interlude the heroes have seen - and probably purchased - Act I shop items. But played as written, the heroes go into the first quest of Act II with only Act I shop items, and will only have Act II shop items for the second and third quests, then the Finale. So they only get 3 shopping trips (and no "buy what you want" chance) in which they can purchase from the Act II shop deck.

It's certainly resulted in the heroes getting a right proper kicking in the first mission of Act II (we got kicked in the Interlude too, BTW). All of the monsters we faced were 3 dice attacks, 2 dice for defence, yet as we'd not seen any Act II shop cards, most of the heroes were still throwing just 1 die for defence (unless they had bought armour, adding at most a grey die), and nobody had a 3-dice attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm perfectly fine with shopping for Act II items being more limited than the shopping for Act I items. Those items are rarer and should be harder to track down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mills
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got an official answer:

My question:
Quote:
Are heroes allowed to purchase Act II items between the Interlude and the first Act II quest? Or are they limited to Act I items at this point?

Adam Sadler's answer:
Quote:
Heroes cannot purchase Act II Shop Items until after the first Act II quest has been played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Came here looking for an answer to this exact question (post-Interlude shopping). Thanks for the answer!

I can see where the confusion comes from, though. At the top of page 21 of the rulebook it says:

"Act I cards are used until players have completed the Interlude, at which point players switch to Act II cards."

To me that sounds like as soon as players have completed the Interlude you switch to Act II cards (well, it doesn't just "sound" like that, it's exactly what it says!). This would mean post-Interlude shopping, by virtue of taking place after the players have completed the Interlude, should use Act II cards. Given Adam's response, they may want to re-word the rulebook to say:

"Act I cards are used until players have completed the first Act II quest, at which point players switch to Act II cards."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook text is accurate- the switch does occur after the interlude- but the specific steps are then laid out on page 22. I asked in a rules question some time ago for the explicit order of events following the interlude, and this the answer I got says it goes like this:

After completing the Interlude, the campaign transitions to Act II. 1.Receive gold from search cards
2.Cleanup
3.Receive rewards
4.Return Act I Monster and Lieutenant cards to the box and retrieve Act II Monster and Lieutenant cards
5.Hero players can visit the shop and buy any Act I Shop Item cards they desire, and can afford
6.Return remaining Act I Shop Item cards to the box and retrieve Act II Shop Item cards (Heroes keep any Act I cards they still have).
7.Spend XP
9.Choose next quest
10. Set up next quest
11. Travel

That is, the 'transition to act 2' steps are executed after the heroes and OL have gotten their rewards from the interlude, but before spending XP. Then, a regular campaign phase is performed, only without the steps that have already been done (receive gold,receive rewards, shop.)

It's important that the deck is changed BEFORE the first act 2 quest, because if the heroes happen upon a shop card during the travel step, it will be an act 2 shop card, not an act 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Delaney
United States
Friendswood
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They should simply re-write it to say:

"The heroes may then search for and buy Mana Weave and Rune Plate if they haven't bought them yet. Suck it, Overlord player!"

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.