Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cowering IS a useful tool in DC if used in moderation or at the right time to buy you a fraction breathing room, but the name, the name just sounds so... Cowardly! gulp

I wonder if people would use it more if it was called something slightly "Kinder" like... "Crying" "Begging" "Being Shifty" "Bargaining" "Bribery" "Mooning" "Changing your shorts" "Taking the 5th" "Tea Break" "Answering your Phone" "Checking the Oven" "Diplomatic Immunity" "Calling a Lawyer" "Second Opinion" "Need to pee" "time out" "These arent the droids your looking for"... and so on.

"Cowering" just sounds so... ugly.

Any other replacement suggestions my fellow geeks?

If you had to put a spin on the word "Cowering" what would it be?

Some of you must have wives, what do YOU call it when you have to do it at home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casper Points
Abkhazia
Alaska
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When you say "folding laundry in the basement", do you at least have enough slack on your ankle chain to reach natural light?

If you cant talk... Just tap once for Yes and twice for No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Quinn
United States
Bradley
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Being chicken" sounds as about as bad as "cowering", so one could call it "ducking" instead. That way, we insult the ducks instead of the cows and chickens, but still keep it all in the barnyard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James S.
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Isn't it sounding cowardly kind of the point?

You're sacrificing morale (i.e. inspiration to fight, pride in yourself and compatriots, however you want to think of it).

I think cowering is at least flavorful if not glamorous, but glamor isn't really the point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
GHOST FINGER wrote:
Cowering IS a useful tool in DC if used in moderation or at the right time to buy you a fraction breathing room, but the name, the name just sounds so... Cowardly! gulp

Cowering works just fine for me. Since the damage is being expressed in morale, treasure ("it's worth the risk!") and cowering ("we're all gonna die!") do a lot. Damage prevention through bold actions is thematically accomplished by the immediate cards.

You *shouldn't* use cowering outside of critical cases, and the name perhaps helps players understand that. Most pieces will burn through your morale at a lower rate than cowering, and players should get used to considering their pieces expendable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko White
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Yeah, I found I cowered more than I should early in the game, because I felt like the positional advantage was important and felt bad letting my guys die. It has a place, and is great for helping you protect key pieces that the opponent had to work hard to reach, like a Priestess of Lolth with a few blessings attached, but it definitely should be used sparingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultiville wrote:
... and felt bad letting my guys die.

That is a pretty key difference in this game. We're conditioned to wanting to keep our pieces on the field, where Dungeon Command actually rewards risk-taking and turnover by letting us field more forces from our reserves (and potentially with greater power).

I think we'll have to take a page from MMOs and think of our downed pieces as "needing a rez" and not "dead". Makes it a little easier when they are about to buy the farm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The original playtest game used gold instead of morale.

So... Bribery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

So... Bribery.

That brings up an interesting idea. How about a variant that replaces Cower with Bribe which increases opponent's Morale by 1 for every 10 damage cancelled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko White
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

So... Bribery. :D

That brings up an interesting idea. How about a variant that replaces Cower with Bribe which increases opponent's Morale by 1 for every 10 damage cancelled?

It might be fun to tool around with I guess, but it means you could avoid death forever and there's a risk the game would never end. In general one of the brilliant but subtle things DC does is that every action leads to real game progress; if your opponent cancels an attack with a card, they're down a card. If they cancel it by Cowering, they're down morale. You always make progress towards an endgame. That's not true if you just gain morale when they save their guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
stephen biggs
England
flag msg tools
GHOST FINGER wrote:
Cowering just sounds so... Ugly.

Cowering costs morale, potentially more moral than the creatures death would cause. If the thing is ugly it should have an ugly name.

I'd suggest Monty Python's "Run away!" except the creature can't move.
Perhaps "Panic" would be an accurate term.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank S
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GHOST FINGER wrote:
... "Crying" "Begging" "Being Shifty" "Bargaining" "Bribery" "Mooning" "Changing your shorts" "Taking the 5th" "Tea Break" "Answering your Phone" "Checking the Oven" "Diplomatic Immunity" "Calling a Lawyer" "Second Opinion" "Need to pee" "time out" "These arent the droids your looking for"... and so on.

Some of you must have wives, what do YOU call it when you have to do it at home?

All of the above

Just kidding of course. I have an amazing understanding wife, especially the game addiction part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Cowering works *just* like not blocking with your creatures in Magic. Instead of damaging your creature, you lose morale, which are the DC version of life points in Magic.

Considering that Standard Actions are Sorceries, Minor Actions are Instants, Leadership is the mana curve, and Morale are life points, we should call Cover "Yet another mechanic last seen in Magic".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Scheidler
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Gigamic
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Cowering works *just* like not blocking with your creatures in Magic. Instead of damaging your creature, you lose morale, which are the DC version of life points in Magic.

Considering that Standard Actions are Sorceries, Minor Actions are Instants, Leadership is the mana curve, and Morale are life points, we should call Cover "Yet another mechanic last seen in Magic".

Sure, its an adaptation of existing mechanics. So what? Its a good adaptation. Plenty of designers from plenty of companies have cribbed off the M:TG design because it is -good-. I'd hardly call this a direct port, and the similarities speed new players into the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko White
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

I too don't really understand why this is upsetting to you, but even aside from that, it plays significantly differently. In Magic, not blocking is often really smart because if you let your guy die, you're trading resources that matter for ones that often don't.

That can happen in dungeon command because your new guy can end up out of position, but you automatically refill your creature hand and you can deploy more creatures to fit your leadership, so assuming your guys are fast or the action is close enough to your start zone, you might be as well or better off just letting the guy die. In Magic, if you chump block against anything but a lethal swing, you're almost always making a bad play. The same is not true of letting creatures die in DC, not by a long shot. In fact I'd say DC newbies tend to over-cower, whereas Magic newbies tend to over-block.

(As an aside, Leadership would only be the mana curve if you could deploy that many levels of creatures a turn, regardless of how many are on the board. There's a minor escalation feel to DC, but way less so than in Magic, because the critical part of the mana curve - delaying powerful effects until late in the game - doesn't happen at all. There are no creatures in the game you can't deploy in your initial spread. And Immediates are Instants, Minors don't really have a Magic analogue that isn't a bit of a stretch. I guess zero mana sorceries if you really want to have everything in those terms.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ultiville wrote:
I too don't really understand why this is upsetting to you

Starter pack for Magic: $15 MSRP.
Starter set for DC: $40 MSRP.

Really, if I wanted to play Magic... I'd play Magic.

Continue this thread on my First Impressions post, where we discuss more of this "2D Magic" topic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.