Popular Tags: [View All]
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, today I was adding to my collection on BGG a game that I own, which I used to like a lot when I was a kid. However, now it is certainly nothing more than "slightly boring", thus I rated it a 5.5.

I realize, nonetheless, that this would drive down ratings for children games, if it was the standard. For instance, one could like games with a lot of flavour text and/or complex strategies. But those are not suitable to games for kids, in my opinion.

So, what's the general take on this kind of things?
Best

Geki
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate them as if played by me.

I don't play a game and say "Hey, if I was the target audience, this would be a 10". That's what it would be like to alter the ratings from 'kids eyes'.

There ARE excellent kid friendly games I love to play and rate well. Then there's the 2s and 3s.

You can't rate it based on someone you're not - its unfair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
I rate them as if played by me.

I don't play a game and say "Hey, if I was the target audience, this would be a 10". That's what it would be like to alter the ratings from 'kids eyes'.

There ARE excellent kid friendly games I love to play and rate well. Then there's the 2s and 3s.

You can't rate it based on someone you're not - its unfair.

I get your point.
Thanks
Geki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just don't rate kids' games. But if I did, I would probably rate them based on how much I wanted to play them with kids, and note that in a comment.

I generally find people's comments to be more useful than a single number, anyway...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geki
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bwian wrote:
I just don't rate kids' games. But if I did, I would probably rate them based on how much I wanted to play them with kids, and note that in a comment.

I generally find people's comments to be more useful than a single number, anyway...

I, too, prefer A comment to A rating. However, 1000 ratings are more easily accessed (with the average rating) than 1000 comments.

About not rating them, I usually try to rate any game that I remember to add to my collection.

Geki

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Zaleski
United States
Wintersville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ratings scale indicate it should go mainly on how likely you are to want to play them, and I follow that system the more I rate. I have 4 gaming kids, so it changes it a bit, but only because I have first hand the OK, or internal groan, when they ask for something off the Shelf. But if I had no kids to play them with, I probably wouldn't play them in the first place to end up rating them.

Some games are fun and interesting enough I rate them fairly high, but not necessarily as high as my favorites. Some games, like Sleeping Queens are fun enough with my kids they get a bump over where I feel they should be. But some don't have a hope, and my kids can't do anything like that. But then again, Carcassonne and Apples to Apples (Brown nosing with rules) are doomed as well despite my friends (and their wives) best efforts.

I'd just call it as you see it. If you felt compelled enough, I think it'd be fun to have a second account for your kids to use to rate. That'd be interesting. But I honestly go by how likely would I be to just want to play it in the same situation, versus would I suggest something else desperately, and rate it down by how likely I would be to initiate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Parents, let your kids get BGG accounts so they can rate the games themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My oldest son does have an account, but that doesn't really help this situation. As much as I love the site, I hesitate myself in recommending bgg to younger children because some posts have quite strong language in them (and there are a few images that make me pause). It's unfortunate because otherwise it is quite family friendly for even the youngest gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been something I've thought about for a while now. Something tells me I saw a discussion about it somewhere before. I definitely would like to rate some games on another discrete scale based on their merits for their target audience. I really want to be able to communicate my love for Château Roquefort or Sleeping Queens. My unsatisfying solution has been simply not to rate the many kids' games I own and play with my daughter.

I acknowledge that problems come in with borderline games. I am thinking of games like Castle Panic and Forbidden Island. Speaking only for myself, I'd rather play Defenders of the Realm than either and would rate it much higher (other smart gamers disagree, which is fine, of course). However, both of those games are overwhelmingly better titles for my six year old daughter for a similar kind of experience. I also recognize the challenge of making games that pack so much substance in while still having a manageable rules system and playtime. I'm not sure how I would address this difference of context easily in a ratings system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Riddell
United States
Webster
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate children's games (and all games) mostly based on my gaming experiences instead of by comparing them against each other (which I would drive myself nuts doing). If my experiences were great then I give higher ratings even if the game doesn't "deserve" the rating. I always keep in the back of my mind that the ratings are used to help float (or sink) the game to a new level in the database. If I want to help influence the game such that others find it easier to discover through higher ratings and comments then I rate it somewhat high hoping that I help it along.

On the other hand what do I know? I give way to many 10s and I have a hard time not liking most games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Grieshop
United States
Temple Terrace
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CDRodeffer wrote:
Parents, let your kids get BGG accounts so they can rate the games themselves.

Hi, Clark!

I was surprised to learn that BGG has a minimum age that would exclude most children.

So that may not work for most families, unfortunately...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian S.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
01010011 01001000 01000001 01001100 01001100 00100000 01010111 01000101 00100000 01010000 01001100 01000001 01011001 00100000 01000001 00100000 01000111 01000001 01001101 01000101 00111111
mbmbmbmbmb
I rate the games I play with my daughter (son is too young to play) against each other; kids games vs. kids games. When I rate the games I play with my kid, I note in the comment that the rating is based on playing with kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.