ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Kenneth Deal WW 2 Belgium 1944/45
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came into a nice Amazon gift card and would like to get one of those big box games that 1 to 4 persons can play. Solitaire play is essential to learn the rules and because I live far away from my gaming buddies and we only get together infrequently. I am not going to be real picky about the theme. I would like it to be in the fantasy, science fiction, horror or war genre. If you guys could offer some suggestions I would appreciate it. I want some nice components, a challanging set of rules that are not overly complicated and a game that has enough depth that there is some re-playability down the road. Oh yea, it has to be FUN to play. I read some reviews and watched some of those "un-boxing" videos and saw some promising games. But I would like the BBGs to put in their two cents worth. My spending power is around 100 dollars. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thompson
England
Winchester
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't think you're after a war game to be honest. Maybe Mage Knight Board Game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Re: big box game 4 bigger board gamer!
"the BBGs?" man, I'm 'Cubist' "B"!
wow ~"YES! 'Cubist' be my lil 'Mexican' friend here, and say H-E-L-L-O-! while you're at "it"!..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Taylor
United States
Berryville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Just Another Washed Up Wargamer
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, other than "Space Empires 4X" (which is more complicated than you probably want), there's not a lot of shoot-em-up wargame types that can be played solitaire.

I understand why you'd want it, but just letting you know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mage Knight Board Game is a definate maybe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ocean Druen
United States
Buffalo Grove
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rozar5 wrote:
I want some nice components,

You may be in the wrong forum to ask - unless counters are nice for you

rozar5 wrote:
a challanging set of rules that are not overly complicated

I am unsure of what you mean by this, are you thinking medium weight rules?

Although it was mentioned and not recommended above I would recommend Space Empires 4X (SE4X) as the rules are not overly complex (for a wargamer), there are solitaire rules, and it plays up to four with ease. It is also highly moddable.

I have not played Mage Knight yet, but the shoe fits here as well - although this is an adventure game and not a wargame so I feel I can not reccomend it here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Amazon carries wargames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing I thought of when mentioning a big box and nice pieces was Axis & Allies. I'm a 40 year veteran grognard who mainly plays monster hex and counter games, but I consider Axis & Allies to be a wargame. Had a blast playing that one over and over again, so good replay value. The Axis & Allies Europe 1940 and Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 variants are supposedly the best of the lot, but I have not tried either of them.

For a non-wargame that has nice pieces and involves some war, Cyclades is nice. I particularly like the fact that each player's troop and ship figures are different sculpts, not just different colors, and the Greek monsters are terrific.

I have had a great time with Merchants & Marauders, another non-wargame that involves some fighting. The production quality is very nice. Lots of great looking thick cardboard pieces, cards, and colorful plastic ships. There is a hint of role playing, a merchant game, and a pirate game all rolled into one.

Eclipse has been high on the hotness list for months now. While again not really a wargame like Space Empires 4x, Eclipse does involves some warship construction and fighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are after a wargame with very nice components, moderate rules system which is easy to learn and a game which has scenarios for 3 or 4 players then look at Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! – Russia 1941-42, there is another game in the series in which the rules were tidied up a bit but I do not know if it has scenarios for more than 2 players and that game is Conflict of Heroes: Storms of Steel! – Kursk 1943.

You may be looking for an Ameritrash game rather than a wargame though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The man has asked for big box, and wargame, so I think the most appropriate answers are:

1. Axis & Allies Europe 1940 2nd edition will be out in a couple of months. Legit light wargame, big box, great components!

2. Axis & Allies Pacific 1940 2nd edition will be out in a couple of months. Can be combined with the Europe edition to play a massive global WW2 game.

3. Axis & Allies: 1942 A somewhat less expensive and less expansive version of the above.

4. Tide of Iron If you like WW2 tactical action with cool minis, this is a great choice.

5. Memoir '44 Can be played by 2 to 8 people in team mode. Great components, and very expandable.

6. Battle Cry: 150th Civil War Anniversary Edition Again, playable by 2 to 6 at least, and is a nifty Civil War game with excellent components.

These are just the first half-dozen that came to mind. All big-box, and all wargames, albeit on the light side of the spectrum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROGER DEAL
United States
Oak Ridge
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age Of Napoleon looks promising. I played many games of Axis and Allies but it has no solitaire option to speak of. I will check out the other suggestions. Thanks for the info!

Amazon has a pretty good inventory of games - a lot of them in their various warehouses so shipping is pretty quick. They also link to many gaming outlets so many "hardcore" wargames are available. I belong to Amazon Prime so shipping is free and that helps offset some of the costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enrico Viglino
United States
Eugene
OR
flag msg tools
Slowed - BGG's moderation policies have driven me partially from here
badge
http://thegamebox.byethost15.com/smf/
mb
The cards in AoN make the game far less solitaire playable
than A&A is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Case Blue ? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.