Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Fire Extinguisher Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Callicutt
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
I'm new to the game, and we came to a consensus the other night when my group was playing, but I just wanted to double check. I understand that when you use a fire extinguisher to "cancel a fight," you may do so after everything has been rolled and you treat it as if the fight didn't happen.

Well, in this particular scenario, the hero had the chainsaw (a weapon that everyone, even the heroes, agreed was too powerful) and a zombie used a card that allowed him to roll two extra dice. Well the zombie ended up winning, and the chainsaw was discarded. However, the hero then used the fire extinguisher to cancel the fight. This way, she could keep the chainsaw.

Well, so far, all of the players were in agreement over how the chainsaw worked. But since the fire extinguisher canceled the battle, i.e. act as if it didn't happen, the zombie player reached for the card he used. This led to a disagreement over whether his card was actually used since the battle was canceled (his argument was that the fire extinguisher canceled the battle, so it's like it didn't happen). He then pointed out that there were cards that could specifically cancel the effects of a zombie card. Anyways the consensus was that the zombie had used his card and could not retrieve, even though the battle had been canceled. Of course, there was only one zombie player, and it would have been detrimental to the heroes had he gotten that card back. Anyways, did we come to the right consensus?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Radford
United Kingdom
Brentwood
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire Extinguisher:
Discard immediately to cancel a fight involving the Hero

Pg 16 of the rules say; "If a card is used to cancel a fight, that fight immediately ends without being resolved (no one wins or loses the fight)."

The way I read it, the fight ended but wasn't resolved - therefore nobody would get any cards back. The Hero player would still lose the chainsaw because the fight happened, it just didn't complete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nicebloke wrote:
Fire Extinguisher:
Discard immediately to cancel a fight involving the Hero

Pg 16 of the rules say; "If a card is used to cancel a fight, that fight immediately ends without being resolved (no one wins or loses the fight)."

The way I read it, the fight ended but wasn't resolved - therefore nobody would get any cards back. The Hero player would still lose the chainsaw because the fight happened, it just didn't complete.

Chainsaw:

"The Hero rolls an extra Fight Dice. Any Zombie beaten in a fight is automatically Killed, even if no doubles were rolled. If you lose a fight while using Chainsaw, discard (or discard a Gasoline card in its place)." (Bold added.)

So, the chainsaw is not discarded after a canceled fight because you did not lose.

Also, the zombie player does not get his card back. A canceled fight doesn't mean it never happened. You still played the card. In fact, in the link, Jason confirms that it can be good strategy for the heroes to save their cancellation effects for this purpose.

Basically, there are no take-backs -- once you play a card, it's played, even if the fight (or the card itself) gets canceled. Likewise, if the heroes used a breakable hand weapon, like the Baseball Bat, they should still roll for breakage even if the fight was canceled. The only thing you do ignore is effects that depend on winning or losing the fight, since a canceled fight has no winner or loser.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Else
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I fully concur with Ken's response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.