Subject: A board game's worst enemy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jian W
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently we had moved to a new office and it has a game room. Immediatley, my first thought is to use this opportunity to induce some of my colleagues into the wonders of our hobby.

The drawback of this room is that there is no table in the game room. I started lobbying for a table to be put there as I can envision putting a copy of Ticket to Ride there and putting a note, "Those who wish to play this board game, please reach me at this extension". whistle

Meanwhile, I was not waiting for the table to arrive, I started having gaming sessions during lunch hour.

1st Meeting: Hey, That's My Fish! with 2 other colleagues. They both enjoyed it and I promised to bring more board games. I also started dropping hints to others that we should have FUN board games (NOT Snakes & Ladders, Cluedo, which was mentioned by them).

Finally, I achieved what I considered was a minor breakthrough. We are supposed to stay back on one particular day because we are having a team dinner. One of them mentioned that they should find something to do since they have to wait for 1-2 hours after work before the dinner starts.

I mentioned that we should play some board games and they all were interested in that idea and asked me to bring some.

I was ecstatic. Till today.
One of the mail in my inbox was titled 'Xbox Kinect now ready in Game Room'

soblue
soblue
soblue

As you can imagine, people are getting excited over the new toy. Lunch hours and after-work Xbox sessions are held constantly.

My battle for board games seems to have a bleak future. With the Kinect in the game room, they probably are not going to get a table as there will be no space for playing Kinect games.

My colleagues seem to have forgotten about the board game session and are excitedly planning for Kinect sessions on that day.

Question, how do we fight the great big Green X? What can we do when faced with so great an adversity?

I will still be bringing my games on that day, in hope that I have not lost the war yet. Comrades, pray for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
A sad story but not too surprising, unfortunately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hint: XBox and Coke are natural enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buddha Meeple
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
“It is a civilizational wake-up call. A powerful message—spoken in the language of fires, floods, droughts, and extinctions—telling us that we need an entirely new economic model and a new way of sharing this planet.” ― Naomi Klein
badge
“Climate change has never received the crisis treatment from our leaders, despite the fact that it carries the risk of destroying lives on a vastly greater scale than collapsed banks or collapsed buildings.” ― Naomi Klein
mb
I'll keep my fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kinect isn't going to hold everyone's attention. Some people will play and get bored, and then there you are, with the board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
The coolest best thing I have ever done in my life is being a father
badge
The Dread Pirate Caleb!! (age 2)
mbmbmbmbmb
Find a game you can play solo, like Pandemic, and set it up and play. Someone will wander by and ask what you are doing, then ask to join in, and you can eventually take back your gaming area.

You could always take part in the Kinect action as well. Sounds like it could be fun playing with all of your co-workers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vuong Tri Lan
Vietnam
Quy Nhon
Binh Dinh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here I don't have a gaming table neither. When I want to play something with my friends, I just put them on the bed or on the floor. However, recently my friends got into NFS:Carbon. Seriously? They play that old video games making me play my board game all alone? Well, IMO, video games in general are the worst enemies of board games (Not that I hate video games - I love them)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek W
Poland
flag msg tools
Commutator
badge
.Komutator
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's worth to try The Resistance. It's easy to teach and fun to play, even for people without much experience in boardgames. Also, no table is needed, so you can entertain your group, and when (not "if") they catch the hook, lobby for the table again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
anomander64 wrote:

Yeah, while coke and boardgames go so well together ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
fizolof wrote:
Maybe it's worth to try The Resistance. It's easy to teach and fun to play, even for people without much experience in boardgames. Also, no table is needed, so you can entertain your group, and when (not "if") they catch the hook, lobby for the table again.

I had been thinking of The Resistance. And then I thought how much more fun it would be to play Diplomacy with one's colleagues devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jian W
Malaysia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:

Now that's an idea! Accidents happen. devil

Whymme wrote:
I had been thinking of The Resistance. And then I thought how much more fun it would be to play Diplomacy with one's colleagues devil

Not a good idea! Your betrayal of someone will come back to haunt your work life!

I am thinking to set up a booth outside the game room. Have a board game while waiting your turn at Kinect!

With luck, I can hear "Go ahead with the Kinect, I am trying to complete my Destination Tickets!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should download Catan, TTR, Carc, and any other boardgame on X-Box Live and play it there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes when I walk into my local gaming store, the employees are too busy playing the XBox set up in the corner BY THE DOOR to help me. Apparently, they would rather play a video game then demo a board game- which they are in the business of trying to sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Kill the person who mentioned Snakes & Ladders and say they made off with the Kinect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seriously, what gamer doesn't get that negative twitch when someone mentions Snakes and Ladders or Clue?

Don't fret. The Kinect holds limited appeal. You may have to accept this battle as lost, but you'll win the war when it sits untouched after a few weeks.

For that day, you'll need to bring out the big guns. Resistance or King of Tokyo will have people yelling. The Kinect people will want to see what all the fuss is about. Besides, Kinect can only be played by 2 people at a time.

Resistance is probably a better game. Actually, I'd say a boardgame's biggest enemy is the Resistance. Try to get a bunch of casuals to play anything else. I am so burnt out on that game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinect has no learning curve.

Its perfect for office use.

Board games have HUGE curves on the other hand - you have to learn the rules.

5 minutes of rules learning is a TREMENDOUS amount of time to waste if you have a 30 minute lunch break.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cut the power, they'll be asking you to play. devil

I know what it can be like living with video game junkies so I feel your pain. I say join in with the X-Box play so you can enjoy some camaraderie with your co-workers. Then ask them if they'd like to play some board games. Someone is bound to want to join in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Who the hell likes Kinect? Seriously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Parker
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
General_Norris wrote:
Who the hell likes Kinect? Seriously.

Microsoft does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evolution at work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Franklin
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My vote is ditch the Kinect and get Rock Band 3. Just don't bother with the keytar - cool in theory but poor in execution.

whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love both. Just pick your spots. So, I love games, but why arent you just going home?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Lyear wrote:
My vote is ditch the Kinect and get Guitar Freaks XG Just don't bother with watered down games for "western audiences" they are cool in theory but poor in execution.

whistle

Fixed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Kinect has no learning curve.

Its perfect for office use.

Board games have HUGE curves on the other hand - you have to learn the rules.

5 minutes of rules learning is a TREMENDOUS amount of time to waste if you have a 30 minute lunch break.

Actually, Kinect (and other video games) also have significant learning associated -- more than five minutes, certainly. Try introducing a Kinect game to someone generally unfamiliar with video games.

One thing you aren't noticing here is that the great majority of video games these days have tutorials built in. They teach you, step by step, sometimes in excruciating detail, exactly how to interact with the game. And that often takes more than five minutes. Sometimes it's the entire first 15 or 30 minutes, even (maybe especially) for the simpler titles geared towards "families" (children).

But your average video game tutorial is actually much better at rewarding behavior than your average board game geek teaching Ticket to Ride. That makes it a lot more fun to learn, on the basic kind of neurotransmitter level. Flashy lights, little cheers, level up dings... the Xbox has no shame. I'd feel a bit feel foolish putting on a big goofy grin, offering high-fives, and shouting "Hooray!" when new players successfully made their first harvest in Agricola.

So it does take people 5 or 15 or 30 minutes to really figure out what's going on while playing Dance Central or Kinect Adventures. But they experience that as part of the fun. Board games generally don't match that. With a board game, even a gateway game, (1) relatively few incorporate tutorial scenarios and (2) teaching is often presented and experienced as a prelude to fun -- not part of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carc >> BSG
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kinect can't entertain everyone at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.