Jose Luis Rodriguez Mena
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

I'm a bit worried about the game being too overwhelming.
With so many choices and cards you can play directly from your spell book I think the game may suffer AP.
I hope I'm wrong because this game likes a lot.

May anybody who played (or playtested) the game post any feelings about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how your question is related to Wiz-War. In Wiz-War, your hand is random, so you have to make the best with the cards you have or hope for better ones, but most of the times you cannot draw more than 2 per turn.

I haven't played Mage Wars yet, but if you build your own spellbook, you probably know what cards you put in and why you put them in. So this way AP is more up to the player than the game itself. Let me know if there's a problem with my logic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
to me it doesnt seem any more complicated than magic the gathering. so if your group enjoys that, this should be a nice upgrade, if magic is too much for you, i believe this would be as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First let me say I'm looking forward to this game more than any other in recent memory. Even more than the NetRunner reboot

I suppose one could argue the comparison to Wiz-War in the sense that there is some tactical movement on the board (albeit with a very limited number of spaces, but with more interesting decision making once opposing forces collide). There is also a choice each turn regarding which card to play, but in the case of Wiz War, it's a very limited choice based on previous and current turns' completely random draws. That's about it for Wiz War's similarity.

The comparison to MtG is closer, though it looks to be almost equally influenced by Summoner Wars. The big difference, which MW's creators regard as the game's biggest innovation and feature, is that you cast any spell in your book.

Another guy in my gaming group expressed a similar concern about AP when we finally sit down to play and are confronted with so many spells to choose from on a given turn. I can see that may be a serious hurdle for newbies. I'm a bit concerned myself. When teaching MtG to someone, I don't ask them to build a deck, and instead have them simply play (and play against) one of a few simple decks that I've put together, dealing with choices one card at a time.

From what I've seen so far, I'm not sure how you can ease into MW other than prepping decks in advance for your training session so your opponent at least doesn't have to worry about deck design. He will still have a ton of cards to figure out before turn 1. Granted, there will be certain clear ways to play various mages that should start to focus their opening and immediate followup strategies, but I suspect unless you're playing purely reactively that the number of options after the opener are going to branch out significantly. I look forward to this, because I want to invest the time to learn the game and its nuances, but I hope I don't find the learning curve is too steep for others to want to join me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the learning curve is similar to let's say Race for the Galaxy. You can learn the rules, the icons, the effects pretty fast but that won't mean you'll know how to play good. You'll have to know the cards (including how many of them can be in the game) and possible tactics. This is still considered the learning phase for me.

After this phase AP shouldn't be a big problem as you are the one that put the cards into the spellbook.

Of course this means Mage Wars isn't a casual game (at least in the beginning). You'll have to invest some time into it, but I think it's worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thrilled by this game. AP could be an issue but not more than any text-heavy boardgame that you play the first time.

I think the game design favours the more experienced player: when you know your cards well (or even the cards from other schools) and know how to play your type of magic user you'll most probably crush opponents that lack this kind of experience. I think many rookies will not want to play MW against established players becuase of this reason. More experience = higher winning chance is fine but MW really doesnt level the odds and protects newbies from several serious defeats in the beginning which can turn them off from the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCoy
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is an awesome thread, you guys. I can tell you a little bit about some of the effort we have made to make the game easy to incoming players:

Quote:
From what I've seen so far, I'm not sure how you can ease into MW other than prepping decks in advance for your training session so your opponent at least doesn't have to worry about deck design.

1. The rulebook contains a list of pre-made spellbooks, that way, as you noted, a player can straight up just build them, without having to worry about spellbook design up front.

2. The rulebook also contains a small section about building your first spellbook, and some recommended cards to keep in mind when putting one together.

3. It also contains a walkthrough, with a pre-written series of cards, and goes through the first few turns. This way a new player can pick up immediately after purchasing the set, and start playing.

4. We're working on a series of video tutorials right now, that should go live before the game's release. This will include an overview of the mages and their strategies, game setup, an expansion of the walkthrough in the rulebook, and a few other concepts from the game. We hope to update this as demand comes in.

5. We will also have a forum up on our website and a group of dedicated moderators ready to answer any questions about rules, cards, mechanics and strategies.

Anyways - I hope this helps, we're trying our hardest to make the learning curve as easy as possible. As for players still needing to go through all their cards to figure out what everything does, that's inherently part of the fun of any new card-based game to me. And shouldn't hinder a new player from playing the game (as they can summon a creature, move it around, and attack with it fairly simply), but will rather expand on the strategy of any player as they get to know the game better.

Let me know if you have anymore questions!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Speare
United States
Bedford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tee hee, that tickles!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Some sort of "suggested moves / counter moves" sheet, perhaps as a download or handout, might help. Starting mages could put it on the inside of their spellbook for when they are at a loss for what to do. Some categories:

"I'm going first and don't know what to cast"

"My opponent is summoning lots of creatures"

"I need to get rid of a spell/object/creature"

etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seanmccoy wrote:

4. We're working on a series of video tutorials right now, that should go live before the game's release. This will include an overview of the mages and their strategies, game setup, an expansion of the walkthrough in the rulebook, and a few other concepts from the game. We hope to update this as demand comes in.

ohhhhh when? its only 2 weeks till gencon.... soon i hope? and the pdf of the rulebook would be awsome as well. i have to second the most anticipated game in quite a while comment. i really hope i can grab a copy or two at gen con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Pope
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
Hi Marc - The scripts are written for the video tutorials and they are being filmed this weekend. You'll see them posted next week - one week before Gencon! :-)

Also, we will have those rules up - our target is Friday. What is the holdup? Our forums get launched in 2 days and we want to time both events, so that if there are rules questions we can immediately answer them on our forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nice nice. did you get my email by the way?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Pope
United States
Sachse
Texas
flag msg tools
Thanks Larry!

Marc, I got your email and will respond shorlty. I spent the week working on video scripts and preparing Forums!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i figured thats what it was. looking forward to the forums and the pdf of the rules!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.