Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
3 Posts

Mansions of Madness: House of Fears» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some preliminary questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
S. R.
Germany
Mainz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
It's a fearful thing, to fall into the Hands of the Living God!
badge
Tell me, have you found the Yellow Sign?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So I bought this expansion today. And while it seems fantastic, there are some wording choices that create questions...

Careful, Spoilers ahead!


1. Breaking Charakter
The first sentence says "After a witch or cultist atacks, discard it from play." This is a strange word choice, since it is the only summoning card in play. Is the card discarded after first attack, or is the creature removed from play after it attacks for the first time? Both variants have consequences for gameplay, but the latter's are not so dire...

2. Objective 1C
I know that Roberta already said this objective is a Keeper autowin, in another thread. Still, I cannot help but wonder if the wording "the Keeper may spend 2 Threat..." might mean that he can ONLY discard 2 per Action step. However, this would mean (worst case) that the investigators get 4 "free" turns to win their objective. Still, I wonder...

3. Crescent Blade
Being both a Weapon and a Key card, this one is quite useful. However, it says "when you explore a 'Suit of Armor' Obstacle card, you may discard it." I guess that the "Suit of Armor" card is discarded here - even if the wording of the other three unique keys (Vault Key, Marionetes, The Lost Reel) is much clearer on that.
Also, why is Crescent Blade not discarded alongside the Lock?

I'm really looking forward to this one. And hopefully there will not be more problems...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dumon wrote:
1. Breaking Charakter
The first sentence says "After a witch or cultist atacks, discard it from play." This is a strange word choice, since it is the only summoning card in play. Is the card discarded after first attack, or is the creature removed from play after it attacks for the first time? Both variants have consequences for gameplay, but the latter's are not so dire...


Not sure you could even get an idea to have to discard the card from that wording, but no, you only discard the C or W. C and W in this scenario appear, attack and go out of play.

Quote:
3. Crescent Blade
Being both a Weapon and a Key card, this one is quite useful. However, it says "when you explore a 'Suit of Armor' Obstacle card, you may discard it." I guess that the "Suit of Armor" card is discarded here - even if the wording of the other three unique keys (Vault Key, Marionetes, The Lost Reel) is much clearer on that.
Also, why is Crescent Blade not discarded alongside the Lock?


Yes, at least without checking the wordings, Suit of Armor is what you discard. I think the CB is different because it is also a weapon, something for the investigators to use should they be lacking.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
Dumon wrote:
1. Breaking Charakter
The first sentence says "After a witch or cultist atacks, discard it from play." This is a strange word choice, since it is the only summoning card in play. Is the card discarded after first attack, or is the creature removed from play after it attacks for the first time? Both variants have consequences for gameplay, but the latter's are not so dire...

This is basic English. The antecedent of "it" is "witch or cultist", not "the card on which these words are printed (even though this card itself has never been mentioned anywhere in this sentence)". It's not ambiguous.

Dumon wrote:
2. Objective 1C
I know that Roberta already said this objective is a Keeper autowin, in another thread. Still, I cannot help but wonder if the wording "the Keeper may spend 2 Threat..." might mean that he can ONLY discard 2 per Action step. However, this would mean (worst case) that the investigators get 4 "free" turns to win their objective. Still, I wonder...

I don't see any reason to infer a once-per-turn intent there. The wording definitely does nothing to imply it, and the objective is bugged in several ways regardless.

Dumon wrote:
3. Crescent Blade
Being both a Weapon and a Key card, this one is quite useful. However, it says "when you explore a 'Suit of Armor' Obstacle card, you may discard it." I guess that the "Suit of Armor" card is discarded here - even if the wording of the other three unique keys (Vault Key, Marionetes, The Lost Reel) is much clearer on that.
Also, why is Crescent Blade not discarded alongside the Lock?

The text is copy-pasted from Crowbar. It unambiguously means to discard the Suit of Armor. The Crescent Blade is not discarded so that you can keep stabbing people with it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.