Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Benjamin
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my experience... their English is much better than my (Spanish/French/German/Turkish/British).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zé Mário
Portugal
Porto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know four latvians. They all speak fluent russian. And english.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dodds
United Kingdom
Reading
Berkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been to Latvia but I have been to Estonia. Given their history with the Soviet Union we felt the right thing to do was to make an effort to learn some Estonian, even if it was only a few touristy phrases. Certainly in Tallinn people seemed to appreciate our efforts, however clumsy.

As it turned out the vast majority of the people in Tallinn speak excellent English, espeically the younger generation. We only struggled once when we ventured out of Tallinn to where the population was of an older generation who only spoke Russian - no English and no Estonian.

So based on my experiences in Estonia my suggestion would be to learn a bit of Latvian for Riga. If you can pick up a few phrases in Estonian, great, but if that's not possible you'll be fine in Tallinn with English.

I'm afraid I can't recollect the particular restaurants I went to in Tallinn (was about 5 years ago) but I can recommend the Musuem of Occupations in the town which explores the nation's history in the 20th century of being occupied. I found it an extremely moving experience.

Be sure to let us know how your trip to Riga went. My partner and I had such a wonderful time in Tallinn that we plan to visit Riga and Vilinus at some point in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Klingon.

You'll know the true geeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guntis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latvian would be awesome. However..
Most latvians will understand russian. Not all russians will understand latvian though.
With english, it's a mixed bag, but eventually you will find someone who will explain/show you the way.
Local Game Store:
"Ludo" - Kr. Barona street (Krišjāņa Barona iela) 55
Restaurants:

In "Vecrīga" ( Old Riga - old part of city) there are many fancy restaurants. Restaurants in city center tend to have friendlier prices.

Here are some places i had good experience with:

"Salmu sēta" - Dzirnavu street 107/2
"LIDO VĒRMANĪTIS" - Elizabetes street 65
"Pelmeņi XL" - Kalķu street 7 'well known for their ravioli'
"Šefpavārs Vilhelms" - Šķūņu street 6 'well known for their pancakes'
"Pizza LuLu" - Grēcinieku street 7 'pizzeria'
"Ze Donats" - Kr.Valdemāra street (Krišjāņa Valdemāra iela 18) 'nice donut place'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
When visiting a foreign country the answer to any question about what language to learn should always be 'whatever you need to snake into the locals girls'.

Enjoy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guntis
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Hospitālis" closed down, two years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
welcome your reptilian overlords!
mbmbmbmbmb
elgin_j wrote:
When visiting a foreign country the answer to any question about what language to learn should always be 'whatever you need to snake into the locals girls'.

So how did this work out for you, Elgin, when you moved to Germany?
Like our local girls?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CJ
United Kingdom
Colchester
flag msg tools
badge
mb
alex352 wrote:
elgin_j wrote:

So how did this work out for you, Elgin, when you moved to Germany?
Like our local girls?

Mate, I stole my wife from a foreign country long before I moved to Germany. Here's a pic of what's on offer over in Japan, to whet your appetite...

Nozomi Sasaki

I'll also kindly ask you to show more respect to Ms M. She's an incomparable beauty...on the inside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Legzdins
Latvia
Riga
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Latvian language, if you want to impress locals.

But everybody knows English anyway.

About Russian - personally, I'd feel quite offended, if some non-Russian foreigner would speak to me in Russian language - It's a language of Soviet occupants and we still have around half-a-million of Soviet loyalists here which we can't get rid off, so such language choice would probably result in me showing you the door, as having more pro-Soviets would just mean more problems here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.