Samurai Battles» Forums » Rules

Subject: Counter Attack command card: some questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1/ If I Counter Attack a "Leadership" command card, am I forced to active my leader's hex in the same section as my opponent (just like in C&C Ancients) ?

2/ If I Counter Attack a "Serpent Command" command card, in which section(s) may I active my units ?

3/ May I Counter Attack a Counter Attack command card ?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King Bing wrote:
1/ If I Counter Attack a "Leadership" command card, am I forced to active my leader's hex in the same section as my opponent (just like in C&C Ancients) ?

You are counter attacking the "Leadership" Command Card, not where it was played. The "Leadership" command card allows for ordering of a leader (and up to three adjacent, linked, contiguous hexes) so you may order a leader in any section... Or, order one unit of your choice in any section.

King Bing wrote:
2/ If I Counter Attack a "Serpent Command" command card, in which section(s) may I active my units ?

The Serpent command allows you to activate adjacent, linked and contiguous units. When counter attacking your units can be in any section as long as they are adjacent, linked and contiguous units.

King Bing wrote:

Maybe RB will add a comment on this...
There is no exception to this in the rule book so I would allow the play of the card.
I seem to remember this question being asked in Ancients and that the card play is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StevenE wrote:
You are counter attacking the "Leadership" Command Card, not where it was played.

Well, I'm not so sure... It sounds right to me to "counter attack" where you have been attacked, and so in the section(s) where your opponent activated units when he attacked, either with a Leadership card or a Serpent Command card.

In the C&C Ancients rules, when you Counter Attack a "Leadership in any section" card (which is the equivalent of the "Leadership" card in Samurai Battles), you must do it in the same section as your opponent.

So another question comes to my mind when counter attacking a leadership card: if you must counter attack in the same section as your opponent, is it in the same section as the activated leader or in any sections where units and leader have been activated (as you may activate units linked to your leader, but not necessarily in the same section) ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Millette
United States
Henderson
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
God Bless the USA
mbmbmbmbmb
King Bing wrote:

Another good question. I perused some Ancient rules clarifications and this is my thoughts on the Samurai Battles Counter Attack card.

1.I don't think you are forced to activate a leader (+3) in the same section as the original cardholder played it like you would normally have to do in CC:Ancients. My reasoning is that the SB Leadership card seems to be more in line with a regular tactics card to me. No reference to any sections in terms of left, right, center, or any is made on the SB Leadership card. I think the wording on the Ancients' Leadership card required the Leadership card to be countered like a regular Command card with the original card owner designating (and thus locking in) the section upon originally playing it.

2.Again, no section is identified on the SB card, so it can played in any section by the player countering it.

3.Yes, you can counter a counter, thus playing the same card that was countered previously.

That's how I see it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
King Bing wrote:
StevenE wrote:
You are counter attacking the "Leadership" Command Card, not where it was played.

Well, I'm not so sure... It sounds right to me to "counter attack" where you have been attacked, and so in the section(s) where your opponent activated units when he attacked, either with a Leadership card or a Serpent Command card.

In the C&C Ancients rules, when you Counter Attack a "Leadership in any section" card (which is the equivalent of the "Leadership" card in Samurai Battles), you must do it in the same section as your opponent.

So another question comes to my mind when counter attacking a leadership card: if you must counter attack in the same section as your opponent, is it in the same section as the activated leader or in any sections where units and leader have been activated (as you may activate units linked to your leader, but not necessarily in the same section) ?

I don't have the card in front of me at the moment but doesn't the Counter Attack card text state "counter the card just played by your opponent" (or something similar to that)? I don't remember the card text stating the counter attack must take place in the same section your opponent just played a card in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronin 4life
United States
flag msg tools
The "Counter Attack" Command card reads:

When you play this card, it becomes a copy of the command card your opponent played on his last turn. Follow the instructions on that card as though you were actually playing it, except reverse any section reference made on the card (Left section becomes right section and vice versa)

My take: You copy the card text, NOT the action taken by your opponent. Therefore, in accordance to the rules of the leadership card you can issue an order to units under one leaders command. "One" being any of your choice on the board.

I think the section rules apply only to cards that specify a section on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll buy that for an Honor token...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Bell
msg tools
Ronin4Life is correct, basically you repeat the card just played, with the caveat that the "section" is switched if the card specifically states a section.

Also, you can Counter-attack a Counter-attack card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks to you all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.