Ora et Labora» Forums » General

Subject: Solitaire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
K Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Forgive a newbie question...

Does anyone have any reviews / experiences etc for the solitaire version of this game? It looks really cool, and I'm considering taking the plunge, but I need a bit more info before committing.

Any words of wisdom?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an okay way to pass the time and to get a feel for what some of the buildings do. For me it lost its appeal about the third or fourth time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. How long does it usually play? The multi player seems long, likely too involved for my wife

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tucker Taylor
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Is your score positive? You win! (Some players win more than others.)
badge
A woman needs a man like a fish needs a saxophone.
mbmbmbmbmb
The solitaire? No more than a couple hours, even your first time, I'd think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
KFox wrote:
Thanks. How long does it usually play? The multi player seems long, likely too involved for my wife

There is a short version of the game. I've never played it, but since it is called the "short version," it promises to be shorter than the long version.
The game is actually pretty intuitive! (Though I can't pretend to speak for your wife.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ambrose wrote:
KFox wrote:

There is a short version of the game. I've never played it, but since it is called the "short version," it promises to be shorter than the long version.
The game is actually pretty intuitive! (Though I can't pretend to speak for your wife.)

My use of the word "intuitive" was a little off. I was trying to not to say "too long for my wife"

I'm new here and would prefer to avoid a reputation

She's really not much of a gamer, so if I want to play I'm likely on my own. Thanks for the input, all!

(and keep it coming, if anyone's got any more thoughts, I welcome them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan F
United States
Kent
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I must say that I am in the same boat as you, in that I generally get to play solo and my wife doesnt love to play games longer than 2 hours. However she does really like Ora and she often prefers it to Agricola, which we usually play in a shorter amount of time.

I have played Ora solo multiple times and still enjoy myself. Obviously as with any game it's funner with 2+ but if you love the theme (which I do) and you get a kick out of challenging yourself by beating a previous score its a good buy.

Also I may still have a solo session report on the Ora main page under sessions, I'm too lazy to link it or look it up but it gives you a look at some of the strategy...

I'd love to hear if you buy it and if/when you do how you like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fox
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cromeyellow wrote:
I must say that I am in the same boat as you, in that I generally get to play solo and my wife doesnt love to play games longer than 2 hours. However she does really like Ora and she often prefers it to Agricola, which we usually play in a shorter amount of time.

I have played Ora solo multiple times and still enjoy myself. Obviously as with any game it's funner with 2+ but if you love the theme (which I do) and you get a kick out of challenging yourself by beating a previous score its a good buy.

Also I may still have a solo session report on the Ora main page under sessions, I'm too lazy to link it or look it up but it gives you a look at some of the strategy...

I'd love to hear if you buy it and if/when you do how you like it.

I'll check out your report. I think I'll put the game on my wish list, and maybe when there's funding make the splash...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.