12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Asking for Trouble (aka I need some opinions) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Smaka
msg tools
Poll
http://www.shapeways.com/model/649184/8da1c55faf486a5fe49e2a...

This link will show the designed model and I would like to know your opinion about the model. Please also post the whys for your reaction.
On a scale of 1 to 10 (1=hate it to 10=love it) what do you think of this model?
      42 answers
Poll created by smakab
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Which is the front, and what is it for? Space? Atmosphere? Sea?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smaka
msg tools
The ribbed/jagged portion would be the rear of the craft and it is for a sci-fi space setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donnie Clark
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The ribbed portion seems unnecessary. Makes it look more like a bug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melody
Canada
Madeira Park
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
I have no willpower :)
badge
(.ㅅ.) The meaning of life is tuna >'.'<
mbmbmbmbmb
I like parts of it but find the flat jagged part a little off putting, I think it needs more vertical height to match the nose, sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Marshall
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the "ribbed/jagged" portion allows for some repositioning of the engine nacelle pieces...???
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S H
United States
Merrillville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Engine "nacelles" are too Star Trek-y.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Larson
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the ship is facing to the left, then engineering-wise, the struts supporting the engine nacelles are backward. You want the diagonal struts on the leading edge, where the engine thrust will exert a compressive force, instead of on the trailing edge, where they exert a tensile force that requires much stronger materials.

I do like the shape of the nacelles, though. They could be interstellar ramjets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Rear end looks more like a postage stamp and less like a trilobite. Flying trilobite in space = cool. Flying postage stamp in space = not so cool.

spitefuldice wrote:
You want the diagonal struts on the leading edge, where the engine thrust will exert a compressive force, instead of on the trailing edge, where they exert a tensile force that requires much stronger materials.

That was about my third thought. :)

I was looking at those pods as huge fantastic beam weapons that exert an extraordinarily large recoil force on the space ship for no apparent reason--yet don't drive the ship backwards when they fire yet still knock other ships around. Or huge rocket launchers that produce Venturi effect for no adequately explained reason.

Don't know why everyone's insisting they're engines when clearly the lobes I don't like are spatial distortion generators that set up a pulsed rhythmic spatial distortion that drives that ship forward in the same manner as magnetic fields drive a projectile in a linear Gauss cannon. This means the stresses on the trusses are in the right direction to compensate for the high forward acceleration of the vessel and the pods' inertia.

But back onto design: the trusses and pods look round and utilitarian where the body looks angular and ornate. Maybe if the cross sections of the trusses and pods were not round they'd fit together more in my mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meaker VI
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spitefuldice wrote:
...You want the diagonal struts on the leading edge, where the engine thrust will exert a compressive force, instead of on the trailing edge, where they exert a tensile force that requires much stronger materials.

Tensile forces allow material to be used much more efficiently than if they were in compression; see suspension bridges and tow cables. Thus I find the above questionable; though it's possible I'm misinterpreting it.

I think the body, truss work, and engines seem like they are parts off of different ships. Reworking one (engines seem the best choice IMO) of them to incorporate elements from the others would make it better; but as-is I like it well enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Glaza
France
Hombourg haut
flag msg tools
Too flat, the body Is too flat compared to engines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Morgantown
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tension elements are more stable, possibly allowing more efficient use of materials.

Compression elements require a lower safety factor, possible allowing a more efficient use of materials.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.