Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Cunningham
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, let me state that I absolutely love the game BECAUSE it's so simple and fast. I was a big fan of Mansions of Madness UNTIL I realized I was spending upwards of an hour before each game session getting ready...and that sometimes the story setup listed the wrong components (fixed in FAQs, I know...but frustrating nonetheless when you have so many things to search through). If Descent 2nd Edition rules could be placed into MoM, it would be my GOTY because I love the theme of the latter so much.

But I digress. During our play only two things came up that I thought might be worth house ruling.

1) Rest - I feel it should be worth two actions. It feels kind of odd to be able to fight then rest in the same turn.

2) Zone of Control - If I pass by a monster in most games, I usually have to stop. I wonder if that's something that could/should be added in future rules updates for Descent 2nd Edition? Or if it would be detrimental to the streamlining that is so important to the game's success (at least in my eyes)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Resting taking 2 actions would make it so not one would use it, just take too much out of the game. The 1st Ed had the ability to buy fatigue potions and carry up to 3 and use them as needed. With this pretty much removed, a different way to recover fatigue easily needed to be added. Half a turn is a good compromise, imho.

2) Look through some of the Hero Skills, they have different 'interrupt' abilities, that give a little bit of a ZOC, but otherwise it would be a significant mechanical change that should at least go both ways (i.e. heroes cannot run past monsters either).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Martin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'd also welcome a new version of MoM with Descent 2nd Edition's streamlined sensibilities. I love the theme but MoM is a hot mess.

So far after (only) one session I didn't find rest to be unbalancing and there was enough tactical considerations IMO without ZOCs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.