6 Posts

War of the Ring (First Edition)» Forums » Strategy

Subject: muster/army in the opening turns rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
will adama
Canada
flag msg tools
As the FP I often find myself with a couple extra army/musters in the opening turns and I'm not too sure on how to be most efficiently spending them. I usually give Gondor a muster and hope Osg gets attacked... then I usually pick another nation and sink my next 3 musters into it (either elves, rohan, or the north). Are there any worthwhile army movements I can be making around the start that would be better than mustering a nation? The most obvious movements I consider are usually related to Osg (either moving them both back to MT or splitting out to N/S Ithillian) and the Fords of Isen (either moving all three back to HD or the single out to the Fords). What else is there? I wish rounding up northern units didn't require such a commitment...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"better" can be somewhat subjective, but I will often spend a little on rounding up loose troopers into more valuable regions.

Carrock->Old Forest Road and Iron Hills->Erebor are good ones to consider. There are loose troopers in the NW as well, but so many games don't touch that area that I wouldn't want to invest in them at the start of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Hilton
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think there are a lot of "right" responses to this question, and a lot of different ways to play it.

I personally like that one muster for Gondor also, so that when Osg gets hit I can slap an elite in MT, and then I tend to follow with consolidation in Erebor and Rohan. Some people like running the Elves straight to War (since they start activated and almost any SPMV will need to take at least one Elven stronghold). Mustering the Dwarves once and letting Iron Hills fall with the regular will let you put an elite in Erebor before it is besieged.

If I had cards in my hand like There and Back Again or The Red Arrow, that would change my mustering strategy (push up the North or Rohan to start getting a lot of units). If I had FFF or the Book, that would change it in a different way (try to save the musters until using the card, then spam out a lot of dwarves/northmen).

In addition to the moves already listed, I think you should also consider army moves in Rohan to consolidate forces in HD (with 1.5 army/muster dice you can make HD a 4/1/1 instead of a 1/0/0...) and putting 5 dudes and a leader in Osgiliath to inflict maximum casualties in the 1 round of combat you'll get there before withdrawing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest you read this:

http://www.aresgames.eu/2368

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nico34fr nico34fr
France
flag msg tools
lykouragh wrote:
In addition to the moves already listed, I think you should also consider army moves in Rohan to consolidate forces in HD (with 1.5 army/muster dice you can make HD a 4/1/1 instead of a 1/0/0...)

I think moving rohan early is a bad move, there are 3 or 4 cards in the deck that allow to muster elite + leader in edoras. Those cards if all played allow you to have a theatening army there. That army will threaten SP to AVOID them to attack Rohan (like nuclear deterrence : if you put my Rohan nation to war i will get my massive army toward gondor or toward HD)
Usualy that's enough to keep Saruman at home, even if gtw is not in fangorn (because that means you have the ent combat cards ready to use)

i have no generic advice to give concerning early muster dice, it really depends on cards, if you have good M/A cards it's often better to use them on it instead of moving nation on political track because SP will do the job for you when attacking.
But if you still have a M dice to play, keep it for the end of the turn 1. First you can still use it to move FSP or separate strider (with a ring), second you'll have a better view of the SP strat, if you see SP preparing an assault on DOW then you can muster gondor, if you see SP moving toward osgiliath then you can muster dwarfs or elves to get the defense ready in time.

at the begining of the game SP has all the units it needs to win 5 to 7 victory points without mustering, don't expect to muster soon enough a sufficient army to counter its first target. Instead, try to build a big army far from SP attacks to protect one side of the map (DOW or Gondor/Rohan).
For exemple if SP attack DOW, it should have the 5 vps on turn 4 or 5, if you managed well (get gtw and aragorn early) you can expect 4/5 musters during that time, say 5 : 2 used to put gondor at war, 3 to muster elites in MT. Get aragorn, a hobbit and gtw with it and use an army die to get a 6/4/5 army in osgiliath and stay there (threatening FPMV or coutering attacks with good cards) until frodo and sam destroy the ring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nico34fr wrote:
lykouragh wrote:
In addition to the moves already listed, I think you should also consider army moves in Rohan to consolidate forces in HD (with 1.5 army/muster dice you can make HD a 4/1/1 instead of a 1/0/0...)

I think moving rohan early is a bad move, there are 3 or 4 cards in the deck that allow to muster elite + leader in edoras. Those cards if all played allow you to have a theatening army there. That army will threaten SP to AVOID them to attack Rohan (like nuclear deterrence : if you put my Rohan nation to war i will get my massive army toward gondor or toward HD)
Usualy that's enough to keep Saruman at home, even if gtw is not in fangorn (because that means you have the ent combat cards ready to use)

I've also found a strong Edoras army to be useful as they can easily move in several directions to cause trouble for the Shadow - meaning they have to defend in each of these. Consequently I don't generally spend any dice on consolidating them - relying on Gandalf the White in Fangorn to keep them from sending too many troops south. Later in the game they seem to really be valuable threatening to re-take Gondor or Helm's Deep or to attack Orthanc, Mordor, or Dol Guldur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.