Subject: Good intro to wargaming? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Martin
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Just setting out into the scary world of wargaming--and this one keeps drawing me back. I think it will make my first wargaming purchase. Is it indeed a good place to start or are there other highly thematic wargames that provide a good introduction. I don't necessarily need a fictional setting.

The two that intrigue me the most are Labrynth and Nuklear Winter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomàs Reixach Coll

Girona
Girona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hairrorist wrote:

Both games are very different from each other. Labyrinth is a strategic game that has a global scope. Rules are easy, but I think is not a good example of a wargame because there aren't many games like this. Also I didn't find it an excellent game. Too abstratct for my taste.

Nuklear Winter' 68 is tactical, easy and fun. If you play the scenarios in the right order, you'll learn the game easily. Yes, you can introduce yourself into the world of wargaming with this one. You'll find many games like this.

And wargames are not scary,... well, the most of them
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Tucker
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
Greetings!
badge
Greetings!
mbmbmbmbmb
Tempestari wrote:
Nuklear Winter' 68 is tactical, easy and fun. If you play the scenarios in the right order, you'll learn the game easily. Yes, you can introduce yourself into the world of wargaming with this one. You'll find many games like this.

And wargames are not scary,... well, the most of them

I agree, I love Nuklear Winter '68. It's really the best wargame i've found that's highly thematic, and doesn't try to focus on historical battles so much. I do love playing wargames, but i've never cared much about the history behind them. You said there are many games like this. Can you recommend some of your other favorites?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Powell
Ukraine
Berdyansk
flag msg tools
badge
I'm in my prime.
mb
hairrorist wrote:
Just setting out into the scary world of wargaming--and this one keeps drawing me back. I think it will make my first wargaming purchase. Is it indeed a good place to start or are there other highly thematic wargames that provide a good introduction. I don't necessarily need a fictional setting.

I hoped this would be my introduction to wargaming. I read through the rulebook a couple of times, starting setting up the first scenario, but I didn't know what I was doing, so I boxed it back up. That was a couple of months ago. I was jetlagged and not thinking clearly. Maybe I ought to give it another go. I would love a video play through of the first scenario. Don't think I am going to learn this one on my own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Moles
United States
Idaho Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a pretty straight forward intro to wargaming. My best advice would be no matter what game you start with is read through the rules a couple times, then set up the game for the first scenario and play through a few turns with no intention other than seeing how the piece move and resolving combat. Once you go through the motions, things will start to click.

Also read through the forum here, there is a lot of good info and everyone has been very quick respond especially the designer.

I've just started getting in hex and counter games myself coming from euros and miniatures games. This was my game is my second attempt, and so far has been resounding success compared the other game I tried.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Young
United States
Peoria
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hairrorist wrote:
I think it will make my first wargaming purchase. Is it indeed a good place to start or are there other highly thematic wargames that provide a good introduction.
It was my first war game purchase. I had played a few others, but this is the first I saw that I HAD to have. The rules were a little tough for me to handle with the vagueness in some parts and the abbreviations, but after two reads and a few sample turns I had a handle on it.

It's a wonderful game and am happy it was my first. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomàs Reixach Coll

Girona
Girona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ASFx wrote:
Tempestari wrote:

Can you recommend some of your other favorites?

Nuklear Winter'68 is my favorite thumbsup

But there are a lot of tactical wargames around and this game can be a good introduction to other ones like: Fighting Formations, Panzer Grenadier, World at War, etc...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Martin
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
Doesn't hurt that its solo playable. I'm hesitant to introduce a war game to my group before I know how to play well enough to explain things and moderate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur chang
United States
TUSTIN
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ASFx wrote:
Can you recommend some of your other favorites?

I'll also agree on the World at War series being a good platoon level tactical game, and add it's sister WW2 version Nations at War (the scenarions are semi-fictional, like a good docudrama). Both are from Nuklear Winter's publisher Lock and Load -- different designer --but have a similar feel and drips with theme.

I would slightly disagree on Panzer Grenadier -- it's a great game, but my personal opinion is that it's a little beyond an intro level game and also a little bland, like an old school wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Willner
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like theme and color, or 'characterfull-ness' then NW'68 will be a good pick. Labyrinth is a pretty cool game but I think way over a first-gamer's head.

The NW'68 game system is somewhat simplified from its parent (World at War) but still introduces a significant number of complexities ... this is no "Napoleon at Waterloo" (any old-timers out there?), which was a VERY simple intro game from SPI years ago.

But, sounds like you are motivated and will be able to read through and apply the rules. If you have a buddy to learn with, so much the better. If you have a wargamer / buddy to show you, so very much the better.

And, all of us here on BGG (and Consimworld, which you should check out if you have not already www.consimworld.com ) are here to help. We just LOVE explaining rules to newbies ... and pretending we haven't just barely figured them out ourselves!

If you don't get any help here, drop me a mail mbwmwg@gmail.com or drop by our club web site ( www.nycwargames.com ).

Have Fun!
a

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Jolly
United Kingdom
Bourne
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hairrorist wrote:
Just setting out into the scary world of wargaming--

Hairrorist,

I am a wargamer of over 30 years of experience, and so I am probably an unreliable guide as to what it's like to be just starting,

but... I own both of these games, and I have not found time to play Labyrinth; too much like hard work, whereas Nuklear Winter has hit my table several times (and is on it now....)

It is a good intro to the wargame genre with some quite advanced concepts (command and control for example) elegantly implemented, and Line of Sight rules simple and easy to understand.

I could also suggest Memoir '44 for a similar experience or Commands & Colors: Ancients or Battles of Westeros if those are more your thing.

But NW68 is a good start, and a good gateway to LnL games covering other resolutions: World at War: Eisenbach Gap and Nations at War: White Star Rising at a similar level and gradually into Totensonntag and Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light at a higher level of representation, then Lock 'n Load: Band of Heroes and Lock 'n Load: Heroes of the Gap at a lower.

After that, the world's your lobster....

Cheers,

Matt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.