Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Several times I've pulled this wonderful game out with new players, and the experience has been less than fun because of the way cards and tiles came up at the beginning. Just yesterday we started the Howling Hag scenario and immediately drew Crossbow Turret and then Spear Trap on adjacent tiles. So slaughtered after 2 turns!

Sometimes it's like that, you just get beat down so bad at the start that it's impossible to recover, and it leaves a bad taste. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the game experience more consistent? Maybe stack the decks a little?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Master of the Waz
United States
St. Peters
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the other hand, I have had games where we felt this way and ended winning. It makes those wins even more enjoyable. I like how brutal this game can be.


You could do a separation of the deck. Put say 5 random "nicer" cards on top then re-shuffle the rest together. But this would take a bit of time.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel Gutowski
Poland
Gdańsk
flag msg tools
mbmb
Use Cleric and his "ground" skill, or Wizard and "free encounter cancel" skill, or Rogue for +5 trap disarm. Losing a couple of life points is not such a big issue and you can mitigate the risk to some degree.

But yeah, it hurts

Btw , in hag scenario the heroes are placed in different corners, so traps are not damaging the entire party.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, it was only one hero (Wizard) who got punched. On his first two or three turns he drew two traps that: affect adjacent tiles, do damage even when they miss, and he had nowhere to run.

Partly the problem in the early game is that there is nowhere to retreat to to avoid getting hit.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why my group won't ever touch Ravenloft. The fix? Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game...

-shnar
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
a.k.a. The Shire
badge
Waggle, waggle
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
This is why my group won't ever touch Ravenloft. The fix? Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game...

-shnar


Hi Bryce, I've seen lots of your posts in these D&D forums, some negative, some positive, I always appreciate your opinion. I already have Ashardalon, but I prefer the theme in CR. I've never read any D&D books, and haven't played D&D (the RPG) since the 80s. So how does Drizzt avoid this happening?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
For my group, Drizzt is the only one of the three they'll play (even though I own them all, and the dungeon command games). To be brief:
- Heroes are heroes, their abilities just make them feel awesome, and yet the game stays challenging.
- New Hero abilities allow for activity during the Encounter/Villain phase, making us feel less helpless than in other games.
- The monsters are creative and different, there's even non-monster monster cards.
- The map actually matters in this game, with all the corners they added, plus the permanent fixtures that affect gameplay making the decision of where to go actually mean something.
- Treasures are the right balance between items and fortunes (CR was too many non-items, Ashardalon had too many items).
- Encounters are not so stupidly punishing.

The last is probably the biggest change that we like. Like the OP posted, my group has had too many CR games where it's over after 3 turns just because of unlucky Tile/Monster/Encounter draws. Hasn't happened yet in Drizzt, we feel like we aren't at the mercy of randomness of the game and can actually do something to affect the outcome of the game.

-shnar
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
shnar wrote:
This is why my group won't ever touch Ravenloft. The fix? Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game...

-shnar


Hi Bryce, I've seen lots of your posts in these D&D forums, some negative, some positive, I always appreciate your opinion. I already have Ashardalon, but I prefer the theme in CR. I've never read any D&D books, and haven't played D&D (the RPG) since the 80s. So how does Drizzt avoid this happening?


The heroes are super powered, the monsters are under powered. The encounters are situationally brutal- not consistently bad like the previous titles. It's easy button CR, but it should be- the heroes are epic characters from a huge story... Id be angry if they lost in two turns. Of course, it's pretty boring seeing as they hardly ever lose in LoD.

Shnar does make some good points- the tiles/map matters more and there are some fresh ideas (like non monster cards in the monster deck) but if you're like me and enjoy CR as a challenge, you will probably dislike LoD equally for being easy.

As for false starts- we just restart with a healthy shuffle.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
The heroes are super powered, the monsters are under powered. The encounters are situationally brutal- not consistently bad like the previous titles. It's easy button CR, but it should be- the heroes are epic characters from a huge story... Id be angry if they lost in two turns. Of course, it's pretty boring seeing as they hardly ever lose in LoD.

We haven't experienced that. We're probably at a 2/3 win ratio, and a lot of our wins are close (i.e. no healing surges left, etc). I like that the heroes are heroic and the monsters can be brutal to compensate (get 2 trolls out and watch them play ping pong).

Oh and one of the things I forgot to mention were the Adventures. I love many of the Adventures in Drizzt, they're quite unique (competitive 'race' like ones, traitor competitive ones, etc).

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Several times I've pulled this wonderful game out with new players, and the experience has been less than fun because of the way cards and tiles came up at the beginning. Just yesterday we started the Howling Hag scenario and immediately drew Crossbow Turret and then Spear Trap on adjacent tiles. So slaughtered after 2 turns!

It does happen and we just roleplay that our mission was leaked to one of Strahd's minions at the tavern, darn it. So our heroes retreat and plan for another attempt via a difference entrance.

shnar wrote:
..we feel like we aren't at the mercy of randomness of the game..

From this thread:
Quote:
A lot of the earlier dungeon tourists did not read their brochures properly and mistook Count Strahd's "hospitality" for "random shit keeps happening to me".

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
...

Shnar, if you post a positive review of Legend of Drizzt, I will give you mucho geekgold.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
chromaticdragon wrote:

Shnar, if you post a positive review of Legend of Drizzt, I will give you mucho geekgold.

I'm still trying to finish my negative review of Castle Ravenloft...

-shnar
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil McDonald
England
Staffordshire
UK
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:

Shnar, if you post a positive review of Legend of Drizzt, I will give you mucho geekgold.

I'm still trying to finish my negative review of Castle Ravenloft...

-shnar


Hmmmm... don't get the negativity. I like low-win games, it makes them that much more enjoyable when you do get a win. Winning and fun are not part of the same equation for me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lorien4 lorien4
Greece
Asprovalta
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Several times I've pulled this wonderful game out with new players, and the experience has been less than fun because of the way cards and tiles came up at the beginning. Just yesterday we started the Howling Hag scenario and immediately drew Crossbow Turret and then Spear Trap on adjacent tiles. So slaughtered after 2 turns!

Sometimes it's like that, you just get beat down so bad at the start that it's impossible to recover, and it leaves a bad taste. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make the game experience more consistent? Maybe stack the decks a little?

Thanks


It was just bad luck, Simon.But many times a bad start has turned out to be a great victory, especially in Ashardalon. So you should retry this most interesting scenario.
Try getting the best heroes: The most essential heroes in CR are 1)Cleric, 2)Fighter, 3)Ranger or Mage, 4)Rogue.
That said, I would not change CR for Drizzt. Drizzt is far too easy.But, of course the traps and Event-Attack of CR are horrible. Imagine fighting a villain and drawing two traps and 3 Event-Attacks (It happened to me when fighting Zombie Dragon I was defeated by 5 times in a row, but I gathered my courage and defeated him the sixth time).
For me a difficult scenario is a challenge I try to overcome, until I succeed.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saminathan Masuru
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
philmcd wrote:
shnar wrote:
chromaticdragon wrote:

Shnar, if you post a positive review of Legend of Drizzt, I will give you mucho geekgold.

I'm still trying to finish my negative review of Castle Ravenloft...

-shnar


Hmmmm... don't get the negativity. I like low-win games, it makes them that much more enjoyable when you do get a win. Winning and fun are not part of the same equation for me.


Preee-cisely!!

Castle Ravenloft is simply not a game for those who feel they have to win every time. It is not even a game for those who feel they have to win most of the time.

The game is best for those who derive enjoyment out of the human interaction that you get with the other players. It is really nice to come to the end of a scenario together and give each other high fives because you have played well (and had some good luck) and beaten the game. If your heroes were over-powered, there simply would not be the same sense of satisfaction as when the outcome of the game hangs in the balance, and you could well end up being skewered instead.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saminathan Masuru
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
chromaticdragon wrote:

From this thread:
Quote:
A lot of the earlier dungeon tourists did not read their brochures properly and mistook Count Strahd's "hospitality" for "random shit keeps happening to me".



Some of the tourists had also failed to read with care the description of a "vampire" as given in the Hitch-Hikers Guide to Faerun. For some strange reason, they had arrived in Barovia with the notion that a "vampire" was, in fact, a kind of local musician who travelled from one village to another, providing entertainment in taverns by screeching loudly whenever a scantily-clad dancing girl came to the end of her performance.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Masurandi wrote:
Preee-cisely!!

Castle Ravenloft is simply not a game for those who feel they have to win every time. It is not even a game for those who feel they have to win most of the time.

There's nothing wrong with difficult, challenging games. It's the stoopidly difficult (and none-challenging) that gets very boring, very fast (and why all my friends downright refuse to play CR anymore).

-shnar
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Davis
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
- Encounters are not so stupidly punishing.



This is the ONE thing I like most about LoD over the other two. CR is just downright cruel with the negative encounters - we still play CR, but not as much as the other two, mainly because of this.

-SK
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.