6 Posts

1830 Cardgame» Forums » Rules

Subject: Clarification on initial cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seemed a bit vague on the subject of cards that are not dealt to players in the initial setup. When we played, we left them out of the game. I checked this with John Bohrer and he told me every card is used. I suppose it makes sense, particularly with lower player counts, but it wasn't obvious from the rules and when playing with five players, so I thought I'd mention it here as well.

Quoting mr. Bohrer: "No cards are unused (or left over), no matter how many players are in the game."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Petersen
United States
St. Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
msaari wrote:
The rules seemed a bit vague on the subject of cards that are not dealt to players in the initial setup. When we played, we left them out of the game. I checked this with John Bohrer and he told me every card is used. I suppose it makes sense, particularly with lower player counts, but it wasn't obvious from the rules and when playing with five players, so I thought I'd mention it here as well.

Quoting mr. Bohrer: "No cards are unused (or left over), no matter how many players are in the game."

Hmm, we played it like you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same over here. It didn't mention anything further about the additional cards, and there is a 1:1 at maximum player count - it seemed rational to throw them out of the game...

This changes things...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mostly it removes the value of starvation patterns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It does affect the ratio of dividends to other cards. With five players, not much difference, but with three players, there are clearly more dividend cards in the draw deck if extra cards are not used.

The rules could've been written more clearly here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mc Jarvis
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
I speak to improve upon the cacophony.
badge
This heart is meant to convince you that I feel.
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:
It does affect the ratio of dividends to other cards. With five players, not much difference, but with three players, there are clearly more dividend cards in the draw deck if extra cards are not used.

I think the implication here is that dividends will happen more often and stock purchases will not be as easy to achieve since players will keep one or two in their hand. In my play of this game one player got hosed by not getting access to stock buys; I suspect playing the rules correctly would fix this issue.

Thanks for the post!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.