Subject: A Campaign With Many Heroes (Part 8) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Note: I'm trying to get these sessions posted asap because the final battle is scheduled for tomorrow, Wednesday August 1.

By way of preface, a brief summation of Sessions 5, 6 and 7 would reveal that the heroes were defeated each time (Interlude vs Baron Zach, Wyrm Rises vs Belthir, Twin Idols vs Lady Eliza Farrow). The players (considered apart from the heroes) were not in the least dismayed by these setbacks; they alway believe they will win the next battle.

Baron Gregory was presiding over a council of war at his capital city of Arhynn. Holding a special seat of honor was the aged paladin Sir Palamon whose life had been saved by four heroes: the dwarf berserker Grisban the Thirsty, the wily gnome thief Tomble Burrowell, the gentle elfin healer Ashrian, and Avric Albright the wandering churchman. Avric had been summoned away for other duties but his place at the war council was taken by Widow Tarha, a ferocious orc reanimator usually accompanied by her alarmingly unbalanced skeleton/familiar who has an unfortunate habit of falling to pieces at just the wrong moment. At this moment he was safely tucked away in a nearby graveyard.

Sir Palamon opened the proceedings by praising the assembled heroes for their efforts on behalf of the embattled and betrayed Barony of Rhynn. "You have saved the lives of countless citizens including myself, my old companion Frederick, and our beloved Cardinal Koth. We shall not rebuke you for your recent failures. We take the blame upon ourselves for not supplying you sufficiently. By way of remedy, I would like to suggest that you travel to a nearby forest and seek the mausoleum of Sir Arcite. He was buried with a holy relic, the Dawnblade. Under the proper circumstances, which I shall reveal to you, that blade may be yours to wield in the final battle against our former ally Baron Zachareth who has betrayed us."

The four heroes, P1 Grisban, P5 Ashrian, P6 Tomble, and P7 Widow Tarha set forth without delay (on July 27) to redeem themselves for their string of defeats. Sir Palamon had assured them that by performing a simple ritual involving beams of sunlight falling upon the casket of Sir Arcite, the Dawnblade could be theirs for the taking. Of course, nothing is ever as easy as that.

In order to reach the tomb the heroes had to cross a deep watery trench from which a pair of dual-tentacled Merriods rose up to assault them. Grisban was the obvious candidate to remain behind and deal with these monsters while the others surged ahead. Naturally the way was blocked again, by goblin archers and spiders. In order to help clear a path through these mobs, Widow Tarha unveiled a new trick she and her skeleton/familiar had cooked up, literally cooked up because the widow sent her skeleton careening madly into the midst of a mob of enemies and then---blew him up! Apparently the skeleton didn't mind this sort of abuse as long as the widow's necromancy was able to mend him again. He seemed to enjoy the novelty of this peculiar style of combat.

Even with this clever trick it was a slow agonizing wait for that beam of sunlight to creep across the floor toward the now-open casket. Quick-footed Tomble stood atop it impatiently hopping back and forth, trying not to fall in, awaiting the moment when Sir Arcite would reach up and hand him the mighty relic. What happened instead is that one of the merriods found its way through the watery tunnels and straight to Tomble who was struck down rather quickly by the merriod and a combined assault from a fresh group of "reinforcing" spiders (the OL's new 3-pt card). Everyone rushed to Tomble's aid; they managed to lift him atop the casket again just as the sunlight illumined his red hair.

Sir Arcite rose up slowly, held out the sword, and gasped, "A gnome! Really? A gnomish thief is going to wield the Dawnblade?" Ashrian the elfin healer quickly stepped forward and gentled the pile of decaying flesh back into its casket. "I'll take the blade," she offered. "Oh good," the ancient warrior murmured as his eyes closed. "An elf maiden. That's fine. That's proper."

"Well, that turned out to be an easy one for a change," laughed Grisban as they rounded the corner of a corridor on their way out.

"So that's what it looks like," spoke a voice ahead of them. "I believe I'll be needing that shiny thing you're carrying. I have a Runic Wardstone to smash."

"Not him again!" cried Grisban. "It's Alric Farrow, that overstuffed warrior who tried to murder Sir Palamon, remember?"

"That would be Sir Alric Farrow to you, commoner," replied the dark knight. "And my armor is not overstuffed, it's all muscle."

"We'll see about that," said Grisban, "because I'm stuffing you in a sack!"

Sir Alric had brought along plenty of assistance, including howling barghests, spitting spiders, and fire-breathing shadow dragons. But he should have been a little lighter on his feet. He hadn't reckoned with the rush of the berserk dwarf. (At this point the OL would like to mention that Grisban had been severely wounded in the first half of the encounter; he started out here with only 3 hp, therefore it truly was a surprise when Grisban charged into battle without waiting to be healed!).

From the first heavy axe-blows that rang out against his plate-mail armor, Sir Alric Farrow found himself wrong-footed. At every turn the battle went against him. Somehow the barghests disappeared in the blink of an eye after a nearby skeleton exploded. The spiders cowered in their icy cave and refused to come forward because Tomble was "ambushing" everything that showed its head (his new 3-pt skill). Ashrian wielded the Dawnblade to see how it worked (it worked just fine). Even the shadow dragons couldn't seem to stay alive long enough to put up a fight; Grisban had learned a new trick (Weapon Mastery) that allowed him to take them on with an axe.

There was one moment when the last dragon let out a mighty fire-breath that should have cooked a line of heroes (and one skeleton) who foolishly stood side by side along the entire length of a deep pit, peering down like gawking tourists to see if there was anything interesting in there; but the breath attack fizzled into stinky smoke (the OL rolled a blue X and had no cards left to play). In the end Sir Alric had to flee the scene as Ashrian transferred the Dawn Blade to Widow Tarha while Grisban lent her (temporarily) his Lucky Charm (with his hand held out the entire time, waiting to get it back). The Widow approached the Runic Wardstone and chanted the sacred words that renewed a runic bond holding Dragonlord Gryvorn in place. There would be no dragonlord rising from the mountains to terrorize the land.

"Just as well, really," commented Tomble, "because Avric told everybody the dragonlord didn't exist."

As the returning heroes related the good news to Baron Gregory and Sir Palamon, a courier rushed in with the bad news: "Baron Zachareth is assembling an army and preparing to march on Arhynn!"

Apparently there was yet one last task for the heroes to complete.

The final battle was about to be fought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Great. Hope it goes well tonight, for the heroes! Give tou a geekgold if heroes win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Tiddleydwarf, thanks! I just talked to one of my players on the phone and he was rather nervous about going up against 5 lieutenants. All I can say is that if Grisban gets close to Zachareth, it's going to end very quickly -- that berserk dwarf can do an awesome amount of damage in a single turn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vaughan Edge
United Kingdom
Cheshire
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes whirlwind can be an absolute beggar.Will keep an eye out for episode 9.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.